MarkN:

My understanding is that they are restricting production to keep resale high, a general feeling too many 997.1 TTs made it on to the market too quickly with a consequent glut on the secondhand market, especially here in the UK. The other side to the high purchase price coin is value retention and Porsche cannot afford to throw that away. I'm going to take a bath with my 2004 996 TT though. 

Hi Mark, I've been hearing this from UK OPCs for over 2 years now so I hear this with much scepticism.

My view is that PCGB is importing fewer cars into the UK simply to help keep resale prices by OPCs higher. IMO neither PCGB nor the OPCs care how much depreciation owners actually suffer.

i.e. when you sell your Porsche, the depreciation in the UK is now like any other German car i.e. 50% in 3 years typically. But due to smaller used car stocks (since fewer cars would have been imported over the previous 2 years), your car can then be sold at a relatively better price by the OPCs (and this technique also helps OPCs cope better with any troughs in demand).

So IMHO only the OPCs benefit. Owners who are selling their cars suffer just as badly as ever (or even worse in the current economic downturn).

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection