STRADALE:

"The seven-speed PDK differs from those used by VW-Audi and Ford, in that it features a wet clutch system to cope with the torque created by Porsche's engines. A big challenge for Porsche and its technology partner, ZF, was developing an effective seal between the gears and clutches to prevent contamination and the two different lubricants mixing.

Speaking to just-auto, Porsche director responsible for engineering, Wolfgang Dürheimer said the PDK could cope with all future torque demands including the hybrid Cayenne and Panamera."

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=95255&lk=s

But according to you it had "Nothing to do with reliability or handling the torque.". Maybe you should argue with Wolfgang Durheimer, it's a waste of my time.

Smiley
--

Stradale, perhaps some of the things you are referring to here were applicable at the time they were quoted.

Fact is that now the new beefed up PDK has already found application in Porsche's second most powerful engine, the 997.2 Turbo engine (500PS, 700Nm)and so I presume Porsche engineers are not foreseeing any reliability issues. GT1 developed less than the new engine, 480PS and 620Nm if I remember well.

The reason they use the GT1 engine for the GT3 and the forthcoming GT3 RS is that this engine is more suitable for racing and as you know the RS is a homologation special.

They could not fit the PDK to that engine (although I don't think they would anyway) not for reasons of power and torque (because in the Turbo application the PDK handles more HP and Nm) but for reasons of matching PDK to GT1 engine.

Sorry I cannot put things any clearer.

--
It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts