reginos:

A few weeks ago I had a chance to do an extensive test drive of a Cayman S PDK.

The local importer was loaned a variety of demo cars from Porsche AG (all left steering and Stuttgart number plates) for a few days so I decided to drive a Cayman S PDK, which is a model I like very much, and to compare it with my 997S PDK.

The round trip was more than 200kms and included a short highway, then countryside B roads and finally driving along a winding mountain road to a peak at 2000meters. I know this route well as I do it many times in the year. The left steering was a minor problem but didn't spoil the drive at all.

On the highway the Cayman is noticeably noisier than the Carrera and due to its smaller engine not so effortless. However, on long open curves it offers a better sense of security and feels more planted than the Carrera. You can come off throttle or brake without any nervousness whereas with the Carrera every change is felt.  Also strong crosswinds across long continuous highway curves affect the Cayman much less than the Carrera. Of course these characteristics are determinable at speeds from 180km/h and over. On long curves the Carrera doesn’t like you to change your mind and decide to suddenly decelerate or brake. When I once did this to avoid a slower car, the Carrera felt like my speedboat floating rather than on solid ground. On the plus side the Carrera is more relaxed the engine noise doesn’t tire you, the airy cabin makes you more comfortable and on the highway it is like a GT car. The Cayman cabin felt squeezed even though I am small by german standards and more so by american norms.

On B roads I found the Carrera a better and more satisfying car, more playful and more adjustable. The Cayman was more like a train guiding you instead of you doing the work. The Cayman’s handling is so perfect and the car so simple to drive that you feel it is too clinical. The satisfaction of driving the Carrera of B roads was greater, for me at least. Although, for non-experts like me the Cayman could be equally fast and in extreme situations safer too!

On the mountains with close bends and hairpins the Cayman straggled whereas the Carrera with its LSD just gets into a flow. The Cayman needed plenty of revs whereas the Carrera was cruising effortlessly in 3rd or even 4rth gear. But again more commitment and thought was required to drive the Carrera as fast as the Cayman. The Cayman does the work for you. Very effective and the easier car to drive but not so pleasurable. On roads like these it's better to move PDK to manual mode and select yourself between 2nd and 3rd gears.

A difference I noticed is how delicate and sensitive the Carrera steering is, as well as accurate. It is a pleasure to communicate through it and place the car. The Cayman’s was more stodgy and heavy although also accurate. The Cayman had 19” Carrera II wheels too.

Also near the peak where it snows in winter the road surface was abrasive and broken. There, the ride quality of the Cayman wasn’t as good as the Carrera’s

As regards the PDK operation I couldn’t diagnose any significant differences between the two models. However, because it was a demo car I felt brave(?) to have it more time into Sport Plus with the very high revs involved, than I usually do with my own car. I can tell you that this PDK mode is bordering mechanical abuse. I felt sorry for the machinery in the end.

In summary I liked the Cayman S but I am happier when I drive my Carrera. The 997 feels the more complete and mature car if you consider all the parameters. The Cayman lacked the LSD option which was essential on the last part of the route. The experienced driver will derive more pleasure from the Carrera, although sometimes it is found lacking  (see continuous curves and side winds).

Another big determinant is the engine. The Cayman S feels under-engined (as opposed to under-powered), the 997S just right.

I wish I could try a 3.8 lt Cayman with Powerkit and 400+PS!

Very good and honest drive impression.

IMHO it shows a difference between very good mid engine sportscar and rear engine one. Just to add my preference is naturally mid engine layout.