amazon:

The GT3 really is the real porsche nowadays. It's just so different than all those 997s, 4s and turbos out there.

When I first drove one (I'll always remember it as one of the best moment in my entire life) , right after a 997 turbo, I was so shocked by the experience that I know, for sure, that it's the best 911 ever.

There's such a difference between a everyday 997 and a GT3... people who haven't had the chance to drive one have no idea...

I must have missed something when I drove the 997.1 GT3 the other day on the Silverstone Porsche handling tracks.  I started in a 997.2 C4S, then went to a 997.2 C2S and then ended in a 997.1 GT3.  All 3 of them felt HUGELY under-powered when I put my foot down coming out of corners, I was frankly bored in the sections where I usually have the most fun.  The GT3 certainly felt the most nimble, being the lightest, but I think for a daily car I would have actually rated the 997.2 C4S as the best all rounder.

At the end of the day I got back into my Turbo, got to a stretch of dual carriageway and nailed the throttle.  OMG what a difference!  My Turbo's handling too is now on a par with the GT3, it's only the extra weight that cannot be hidden.  So you can indeed turn a Turbo into a GT3 with a few extras fitted but sadly you can't turn a GT3 into a Turbo.

The 997 GT3 as the best 911 ever?  I suppose it depends on what you are personally  looking for.  I myself will never get bored of shifting down to 2nd gear and nailing it  in my Turbo - the G-force is so absurd it's comical and always puts a smile on my face.  As the 997.2 GT3 is supposed to be as fast as a Turbo I wonder whether it would give me the same seat-of-pants G-force feel?  Most guys interested in a GT3 wouldn't care about such things I suppose, only how fast it can take corners...

--

Click for bigger picture!