Atzporsche:

i must say i applaud the efford made. The quality has improved a lot but is still behind. I mean you're paying $40,000 so it's not expected to blow anyone away with quality details. But in the end it is still using too much plastic for my liking and is way too big!!! I don't think its handling is too sporty either because of all the weight. One thing is sure, the mustang's easy life is over.

0-60 mph    4.6 sec

1/4 mile @ 12.9

60-0 braking     105 feet

traction control, launch control, onstar service, bluetooth, best sound of any car under 200K 

all that for $37,000

I would take this over any Porsche w/o a GT in its name and over any lambo, audi or BMW

Where is the quality behind and how would you know?

There is no need for condescending qualification to american cars anymore. The exec's might not know how to keep their finances straight but the engineers know how to build world leading cars!

From some reviews;

automobile mag;

The Aussies who developed Camaro's chassis did a superb job of tuning the strut-type front suspension and a rubber-isolated multi-link (independent) rear suspension. The Camaro SS not only handles brilliantly, it also has the best ride in the pony car class with secure grip over bumps, supple damping, and adequate body control.

Turn in is razor sharp, and balance is commendable. Drift fans need only select second gear, add boot, and apply counter-steer to impress the impressionable with their car control. Feedback from the road is lacking until the tires work up a sweat but the steering is quick, the leather-clad wheel spokes feel right, and the Pirelli P-Zero rubber bites the road like a Gila monster.

The Brembo 4-piston rigidly mounted brake calipers provide predictable pedal feel, no fade, and excellent balance during all-out stops. One of the developmental hurdles cleared at the Nürburgring and on GM's Milford Road Course was demonstrating true race-track readiness. Thanks to its stout brakes and lubricant coolers plumbed into both the engine and manual transmission, Camaro has the stamina to run flat out through a full tank of fuel

The Camaro SS's combination of price, performance, and panache topples the existing muscle car order. The Hemi-powered Challenger SRT8 is too heavy to keep pace and the face-lifted Mustang GT is trumped by Camaro's sophistication and speed. Loyal Chevy fans who've waited six years for this day finally have the car than they deserve. The new Camaro also has the breadth of character needed to draw defectors back from the import brink.

From businessweek;

But the Camaro's V8 is more powerful than those in its rivals, and it looks radically different from any other car on the road. I had guys running out from construction sites and following me into supermarkets to ask me about my slick black Camaro SS loaner car. I've never test-driven a car that drew so many gawkers

The Camaro feels glued to the road during hard driving. Steering is precise, and the cabin, if anything, is too quiet. Both the V8 and V6 engines emit an appealing growl when you punch the gas, but in normal driving the Camaro is as quiet inside as a luxury car. You almost yearn for more road noise in a car like this. 

In contrast to muscle cars of yore, the new Camaro's stopping power is as impressive as its acceleration: The big Brembo brakes in the SS bring the car to a dead stop from 60 mph in just 105 ft., according to Motor Trend.

The new Camaro's interior sometimes gets a bad rap because the dash and doors are covered in inexpensive (though relatively attractive) vinyl. But the cabin looks stunning if you go with the $500 Inferno Orange package that's available on fancier versions of the SS and LT. The package includes black leather seat-trim with orange inserts in the seats, plus and door and dash trim in a translucent orange plastic that glows around the edges after dark, providing ambient lighting. This may sound tacky, but I'm a Danish-modern-furniture type of guy, and I found it strikingly good-looking.

from the LA times;

And so the company went the other direction: a big lummox of a car powered by thudding 6.2-liter pushrod V8, an engine that is to acceleration what dynamite is to fishing. This detuned version of the Corvette LS3 engine produces 420 pound-feet of torque at 4,600 rpm, which -- channeled through the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission -- is quite capable of making an evil stinking unholy mess of the rear 20-inch Pirelli P-Zero radials.The SS is equipped with a launch control function, built into the traction and stability control's Competitive Driving Mode. The system automatically manages wheel spin in first gear, so there's less smoke and more hooked-up thrust. All you have to do is romp the throttle and hang on. Zero-to-60-mph acceleration comes in at 4.6 seconds.

Yet, in terms of styling, of capturing the ineffable cues of the classic -- in this case the 1969 Camaro SS -- Chevrolet and lead designer Sang Yup Lee absolutely knocked it out of the park. Mean and coldly futuristic, with a cannibal's smile and superhero's visor for a windshield, the Camaro SS is pitch-perfect for the class and segment.

cool video showing detail

Outside of the cars on my dream garage list from Alex's thread (which are on a different level) and a CLS or E coupe for luxury this is the sports car I would choose. (so long as the leather interior matches the challenger). And for 10K of aftermarket work you could have cgt/enzo power in this car. 

It is simply a winner, looks, performance, sound, and that unique muscle car quality that makes people smile.