Primrose:
I think that is a great question and when i thought of converting a 914 into an electric car I wanted to find out - will there be enough power in the future for my car? Like most others I saw the ethanol foul-up. Ethanol was supposed to be the fuel to the future, but most everyone forgot in their enthusiasm to look into how much land and water is needed to make it work. Making fuel from crops is not the answer.

I believe there are two main problem issues with electric cars:
*How many electric cars can the current grid system handle?
*Where will the extra power needed come from?
In America the Department of Energy came out and said that with the current 220 million cars on the road in America, our grid system can handle 180 million EVs. That is quite a few, and should be enough for our needs, for awhile. Not everyone is going to want an electric car because of costs, and short travel distances per charge.
As for extra power, as someone else mentioned, nuclear is a great option. I like what the French have done by recycling nuclear material. Being that the top 3 countries with uranium deposits; western friendly Australia, Canada, and America, nuclear is a power source the USA should take greater advantage of. On other energy sources, I really like the 3rd generation solar that is coming onto the market place. It is cheap and efficient.