pride355:
reginos:

PDK and similar are more efficient for track or fast road driving. No clutch, one less thing to co-ordinate and you can downchange even in the middle of a bend, if you so wish, without loss of traction. Moreover without the need to declutch you can be more concentrated and involved in your braking and cornering techniques.

PDK is also better for city driving/commuting due to convenience and economy. So it comes on top IMO on all counts.

The lust over the manual gearbox reminds me of the affection some people had for non-servo brakes and non-assisted steering systems many years ago when the new systems were a novelty and made some drivers feel detached.

+1 Smiley
I'm 100% agree with you; I don't understand why people think that PDK/DCT/SMG/DSG transmissions  are not involving; especially when they are used in manuel mode. Smiley

Only difference is you don't step on a pedal. It is more precise, accurate and faster.

I agree that PDK is more precise, accurate, faster etc. A manual box requires 'skill' to emulate what PDK does so well. Acquiring and perfecting this skill is very rewarding. When I toe heel and perfectly match the revs by blipping the throttle on a down shift I feel like it is me that is making the car perform well rather than the car doing it for me.

The Porsche manual gearbox, especially in sport shifter form is one of the best  manual gearboxes on the market. I find myslef changing gear just for the sake of it because it is engineered so well.

I know I would be faster in a PDK car but I would be having less fun.

Maybe one day technology will advance so far that I will be able to go to a track day and the car will brake, accelerate and steer for me too. I will be faster than Schumacher but it won't be me it will be the car. I will be a passenger.

--
Paul - Caterham R400 Superlight / 997.2 C2S Cab