Had my 1 hour session at the PDE Silverstone last week and a delicious lunch to boot.  Now before I share my thoughts, I must confess that I did not drive as well as normal (a case of trying too hard and not relaxing into it I think).  Anyway, my ineptitude notwithstanding, I did make some observations.

3.4S with PDK , 19” and LSD.  I drove this on the ice hill and kick plate.  The ice hill really showed up the benefit of the LSD.  Compared to the 997S I tried before, the Cayman was much more stable and much more predictable in its behaviour.  I could go faster and make much more violent steering inputs but the car coped beautifully.  The read across to on track and even on road behaviour is obvious and selecting this option really is a no brainer.

2.9 with PDK and 19”.  This I drove on the handling circuit.  It’s a quick car but the extra shove from the 3.4S is very noticeable.  Despite my inexplicably heavy handed approach, the balance and poise are superb.  I still prefer the chassis response of the Cayman to the 997, particularly the turn in but I think the 997 is easier to control on the way out of a corner.  This may not have been as noticeable if I was driving as smoothly and precisely as I would have hoped to.  Also, the LSD would have improved matters. 

So the chassis is great but the steering is another matter entirely – the lack of feel I noticed in my previous drive was even more apparent on the track.  The little changes and nuances you expect to feel in loading as you trim the attitude or slight alterations in the road surface are pretty much smothered now.  If this is the direction Porsche want to go with their mainstream designs (and I can see why the market might push in that direction), then they should at least have an option for enthusiasts who want more feel.  I really am on the verge of a big rant with this subject.

My last point is, I’m afraid, a case of stating the bleeding obvious - 2.9 Cayman on something approaching the racing line was massively faster than a 3.4s off line.  Whilst everyone here will appreciate this (me included), I was surprised at just how much faster.  My limited track time has either been in road cars on an almost empty track or frantic racing in karts.  It just goes to show that if improved lap times are your primary objective, invest in some tuition and plenty of track time before a faster car.

So has the event worked from Porsche’s perspective, i.e. am I going to put a deposit down for a new car?  Not at the moment.  But that is primarily because the residual value of my 986 is non existent.  In the future?  I do love the new Cayman S but a 2 year old 997S makes much more sense financially.  And the steering feel (lack thereof) is now a massive nagging doubt in the back of my mind.  Perhaps its just as well I can’t afford to make a decision.