I recently post the following on 6speedonline -- sort of a summary of my experience, of what to listen for, etc.

Just some thoughts from my own experience. Although I picked the Cargraphic, IMHO there is no such thing as the "best" system since we all differ in what we’re looking for. Also, do not trust video/audio clips on the internet; there are many reasons but bottom line is they tend to be grossly inaccurate. A live audition is almost a must.

Three things I would listen for (YMMV): loudness, frequency (in particular the low frequency rumbling, important to me because it gives a sense of power), and character (some system has a continuous roar as RPM climbs, other has more of a staccato sound).
Keep in mind, at low rpm, the low frequency sound dominates. You will hear more of the mechanical scream only as RPM climbs. It’s almost as if there are 2 phases you are listening for.

Inside versus Outside: Exhaust systems sound totally different whether you are inside driving or outside as a spectator. Inside: sound is quieter and you hear a lot less of the rumbling and high frequency scream (The only way to overcome this problem, short of getting someone else to drive your car at WOT, is to take your car through tunnels with windows down. ). Keep this in mind during your auditions.

My opinions of the 4 systems that I've listened to:

Tubi: Great reputation, great construction, but not that loud. In fact a little too quiet for my taste. The low frequency component is not strong in comparison to others, and this is the main reason I didn’t pick this system (others have remarked on this character of the Tubi sound). If long comfortable trips are important to you or if you are stuck in traffic often, this is the one.

AWE: At idle and low rpm, lovely low frequency rumbling that reminds me most of the non-Turbo 997 sound. On throttle: starts to scream with a sound more continuous in nature. If it weren’t for the Cargraphic, I would own this one. Additionally, AWE undercuts all other systems significantly in price, especially when AWE is having a sale. Both the AWE and the Cargraphic Loud are docile at low RPM; no need to worry about the neighbors here.

Cargraphic: At idle: Nice low frequency rumbling that seems to become deeper after a few months of ownership. A little throttle at stop sign: delicious mid-bass/mid-range crunchy and throaty roar that feels oh-so-good Smiley. Hearing this car in the tunnel at WOT, or have someone does a fly-by while you are on the sidewalk, is guaranteed to be an experience you will not forget. It’s an absolute mechanical race-car like scream inside the car, and a spectacular staccato mcahine-gun like burst if you are outside. Around the neighborhood at low rpm, it is docile.

GMG: Love this one too. Very aggressive and loud. Very strong low frequency rumbling. My audition of this system is shorter than the other one so I can’t comment as much. It might be a little too loud but I would have to listen again to make sure. I believe the GMG has a real quad outlet (not fake like the others), and I like that.

--

Regards,
Can
997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)