REALZEUS:

People seem to concetrate on drivers. I do not get this. Drivers are just employees, working for their teams. Give Rakkinen, Hamilton or Alonso a Force India and they would be just as bad as Sutil is (who is a good driver by the way). Personally, I would prefer it if Massa won the title (since he is a Ferrari employee) but what really matters is that Ferrari won the Constructors' Championship. This shows that they had the best and quickest car and also that they can put the "F1 World Champions" logo on their road cars as President di Montizemelo proudly said. F1 is a team sport after all. In 20 years time very few people are going to remember who was driving for Ferrari or McLaren in 2008 but they will still support those teams and their respective drivers. The team is always greater than the individual player. 

--
FERRARI RULES!!!

There is some logic in your argument but in many aspects of motorsport it is the driver who is remembered, including the WRC, the other very popular international motorsport competition (everybody knows Loeb but few know that Ford won the contructors' title).

Perhaps it is that the team is an impersonal group, whereas the champion driver is an individual "star" who can be admired, "idolised" , attract attention and fans can look up to him and younger ones want to emulate his success. You see even in other team sports like football for example that there can be no individual champion of course, people try to find the most talented individual players and elevate them to a "star status".

In F1 very few remember the champion team but everybody remembers the WDC, especially in years that the champion driver was not driving for the constructor's champion. Examples in more recent years 1983,1986,1994,1999. I am sure you know the driver who won, but you have to look up in a book for the WCC.

The WCC is viewed as a consolation prize really for missing out on the main title, whatever Sig. Di Montezemolo wants to think!

Of course some F1 greats like Enzo Ferrari himself and Frank Williams in the great days of his team, attached more value to the WCC. 

I think the only major motorsport event that very few remember the driver but everybody remembers the winning team is Le Mans (and other long distance races) but at LM there are 3 drivers for each car anyway so you cannot pinpoint success on one individual.