My 987S has PASM and Sport Chrono. When left in "normal" if offers an amenable sporting ride, muting all but the harshest road irregularities. When both are engaged in "sport mode", you feel the car is on rails and has become electric, as if somehow you are grabbing a high voltage wire. You feel compelled to continuously rip off red line shifts in bursts of five, to borrow a phrase from one writer. Not that the non PASM/Sport Chrono Boxster is a slouch, but the difference is striking It's like having two cars for the price of one.

All the best reasons for PASM have been stated above: 10mm lowering to take care of the fender gap, softer more compliant ride for boulevard touring, instant conversion to a taut gripping suspension that exhibits nearly imperceptible body lean around the tightest twisties. As I do not track my car I do not know if the suspension is stiff enough for diehard track guys.

Arguably, these are the best two options to buy. Should I graduate to a Carrera, it too will have PASM and Sport Chrono.