Quote:
I think you are right, and I have my doubts about the real veracity of the information of that article, but I did make my mouth drop when I read the "lower" model range sedan

Agreed.

I have my doubts about the wisdom of Porsche going lower in price point.

Any marketing person knows instinctively that lower price points attract a wider market in which to sell. There are simply more prospects in the pool at lower prices.

However, since everybody (like Toyota) knows this, the competition at lower price points is wider and fiercer. This causes lots of grief, as every component has to be cost engineered more intensely. Eventually, it becomes impossible for small makers in high-cost labor markets to keep up. I fear for Porsche trying to step into this water, no matter how warm the water seems at the moment.

Also, product image can suffer if the cost-engineering causes sacrifices in the perceived quality of the product. It risks tarnishing the image of the entire Porsche brand.

It makes sense to say down-market because sales seem easier if large numbers are the targets, but Porsche seems to be pretty smart these days. I don't really buy the down-market feint.