OK, in the UK the full leather is standard in the 911, so you can't get the artificial leather as it's just not an option. Also, white will crucify you at resale - wrongly or rightly - unlike the states - white cars are deeply unpopular here.

In general, the base 997 won't hold its value as well as the "S", but will provide 95% of the thrills. The big question is, can you cope with the standard spec? The Cayman, in my book, is too slow and, more importantly, too bland. Too neutral.

Are you buying outright with your own cash, or are you financing?

If you're buying outright, I can understand the hard-and-fast budget, but if you're financing, then be a little flexible on the payments - even the bog standard Cayman is a hugely expensive car in absolute terms, so it must be a decision of the heart, not the head.

I'm guessing the Cayman will be a little like the Boxster. And we all know what the word "Boxster" stands for, at least in the public perception: "Can't afford a 911".

Go with the 911. You know it makes sense! It's fun, fast, quirky and completely authentic. The real deal. The full monty.