Bilal, MB always was big on technology, may be not so much electronics. In fact, even in the 70's, there was a feeling MB's were over-engineered, along with the fear `what happens if it breaks down near MAyberry? Can the local gas station fix it?' Then electronics arrived. As early as the early 90's, roughly 30 percent of a BMW cost was in electronics. Now cars are no longer mechanical devices; they are an electronics object driving mechanical components. This is true of almost all cars, evne cheap ones. Many of the `hi-tech' items in MB's were in fact developed before by other manufacturers -- although MB advertizing takes credit. MB does have a large R&D unit which is active.

Porsche has far fewer defects overall than MB. They both use a lot of technology. So balming it on high tech is probably not correct. I personally think, the problems with MB came at least ot a large part from the top of hte company which lost sight of producing good cars, rahter than enough profits to keep Daimler Chrysler solvent. Look at the pay of DC Board -- many times that of the BMW Board.

In hte 70's there was talk of why American companies could not build cars like the Japanese did. A reason that resonated waas that while Mr. Honda and Mr. Toyota were still alive, GM and Ford were being run by business types. However, still the American auto industry did servive and they started building decent cars.

My impression from the various boards is that MB is on the verge of turning it around -- although we'll have to see what JD Powers says. With the Porsche family still in charge of Porsche, it is likely they will keep bringing as much excitement as they can afford to bring. Unfortunately, MB's larger R&D budget cannot have the same kind of leadership.

I have an E55 on order. I'll soon figure whether I made a mistake or not.