Now that we started to comment on the article, let me start a more complete comment. Here we go:

Quote:
help make the ultra-performance version of Mercedes' E-Class one of the best cars in the world, if not the best

I can assure the author that the E55 is a great limousine, it is fun and probably the best high power limousine out there right now but far away from one of the best cars in the world, not to speak about the best.

Quote:
The $76,200 E55, on the other hand, is the most potent production sedan on the planet.

I always thought that the S65 AMG is the most potent production sedan on the planet but what do I know...?!

Quote:
And although the AMG's top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph, the true top speed is, by my calculations, more like 185 mph.

I wonder how he did his calculations, using a Game Boy?
My E55 runs true 188 mph and it is still limited. Estimated true top speed without electronic governor is around 206 mph.

Quote:
What makes this ordinary-looking, 2-ton luxury grocery getter such a monster is none other than the oft-misunderstood torque, pouring out of the car's 5.4-liter supercharged engine like the business end of Hoover Dam.

I agree Mr. Neil but in your torque enthusiasm you forget mention that the E55 has serious problems to put that torque on the street.

Quote:
You can shift gears by moving the stubby pistol grip shifter east-west, or if you have selected manual mode you can shift with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel.

Well, I agree, it is fun to use the buttons but they're so small that you can use them effectively only on the straight line.

Quote:
Steering feel is heavy and accurate as a diamond cutter, and the quick-ratio rack-and-pinion system tacks faultlessly

Really, maybe my E55 is different. What you describe is the steering feel of a 996 Turbo, not a E55.

Quote:
Few cars can match the E55's sheer technological density, most of which is so thoroughly integrated as to be invisible and, perhaps, unappreciated

I agree and the price I paid for this technological density is running to the dealer "I don't know how many times" to get the electronics fixed.

Quote:
The ride is leather-stiff. A little more mechanical grip in the corners would be nice too...

Leather-stiff? Huuuhhh? I always drive with Sport Setting 2 (the "stiffest") activated because otherwise I wouldn't feel good in the E55. And it is by far leather-stiff, I wish it really would be that way.
A "little more" mechanical grip would be nice? Oh boy, the E55 has serious traction problems, it definetely needs a 4WD system or at least a limited slip differential.