Quote:
69bossnine said:
Crash, you nailed it. 0-60 in these high-power cars is extremely traction and clutch-clamping-power limited, and it's a returded teen-age kid's streetlight-to-streetlight measuring stick.

Silverrules, the reason R&T was able to pound a 3.9 0-60 run was a combination of big fat tires, a mind-bendingly high-rpm-clutch-and-driveline-abusing clutch drop (that you wouldn't be able to repeat often without something in the driveline going up in an explosion of glory), and the fact that the motor in a 911 sits over the damn rear wheels.

Comparing 0-60 times on these cars is like discussing whether Carl Lewis or Michael Johnson is faster to the 5-foot mark....Pretty ridiculous

This is my favorite rant/pet peeve. People so "addicted" to 0-60 times from years of bench-racing with magazines, when they mean so little when you climb up the horsepower ranks and start spinning tires and smoking clutches.

If you're running 0-60 races on the street, then you're just wasting fuel and fatiguing parts to prove nothing, because ANYTHING that's got a set of cojones under the hood spends the first two gears negotiating with it's tires for traction. Except for 911's of course, because they've got that hunk of metal sitting out back keeping things planted. Maybe it's just me, but I get little satisfaction out of winning a race solely on grip. It's kinda like winning a footrace against a guy who's much faster than you, but he tripped... You just wind up looking like the slow-but-lucky guy, and a real goof if you actually gloat about the win.

The 997S vs. 997TT isn't a 0-60 discussion though. Who cares if you can stick with a twin-turbo up to 60 mph, when he proceeds to then leave you like a stumbling Bassett Hound trying to chase a cat, do you take satisfaction that you leapt and almost got his tail before he kicked dust in your face and left you panting??

0-60.... Ughhhh.......The race of ricers....The litmus of slow cars....