As for product 'segments',  the 12C was doing really really well, there was no need to changed the 'model' to 650S. They could have called it a face lift and be done with it and no one would have cared. But many do take offence that McLaren called it a 'new model'. Only reason was that the P1 came out, people are fooled into thinking they bought the baby brother of the P1 in 650S. Which is actually true, as the P1 is basically a souped up 12C. A pity they had abandoned the elegant styling of the 12C and went with the ugly joker face. 

Anyway, Vancouver is a small city, most people basically buy the same thing and that's basically the same circle of friends that I have. SO I know the educated , nice owners and I and very good friends with them, and wears know those asshole Chinese students ones. We basically stay clear of them.

I know for fact they even agreed its their mistake of call it 650S a different model (at the time they said they will continue making 12C).  This was a big mistake I think, and damaged a lot of 12C owners.  even their dealers here are confused and don't know what to tell their customers at the time..... However, P1's joker face will stay for a long time, as 650joker face will be out in a month or so.....   I have not yet put my deposit down for P14, just want to know if they really stepped up and made a lot of changes worth me selling my heavily depreciated car for this....

I have the same take as you on the Chinese kids who asked daddy to buy....  I tell my kids all the time, go get a job, then you can buy one....  but they are not asshole Nick, they were born in that kind of family, what can they do.....