One cannot compare the McLaren products with the 911s. They occupy a very different price point.

The 911 and variants start off low enough price wise and doesn't quite climb that high, the volume in that segment is very much bigger than the price segment McLaren is going for. At McLaren's price point, there aren't a lot of volume.

Look at Ferrari, even the 488 has only 2 versions, yet. California, one. F12, one. Basically 4 cars in that segment.

Lamborghini has a bit more, 3 versions of the Huracan and 2 for the upcoming Aventador S. 

One thing in common is that both Ferrari and Lamborghini don't call the variants 'new models'. They are just that, variants.

McLaren on the other hand call those models. the 540/570 series should be all played out already, you can only cut a mid engine car so many ways for entry level model and not crowding the upper models.

650 will be gone. In it's place will be the 720S. How can one split the P14 series 15 ways? Or perhaps 14, as one of those new models will be the 3 seater.

Where will the new sales come from? Ferrari people are mostly diehards, they wanted to stay in the brand to build up the relationship soothes get a shot at whatever limited models. So those couple thousand F12 sales a year are very safe. The 488 also, that's another few thousand locked in. Perhaps some might come from California owners but those buyers are newbie Ferrari owners anyway. Stealing from Lamborghini? Perhaps a few hundred, but people goes for the Lamborghini for the NA engines and the AWD, something McLaren cannot offer. That means at least another couple thousand buyers are sticking with Lamborghini. 

I was an McLaren owner, and I have a deposit on the the P14, but I simply cannot understand why McLaren fanboys are so sensitive to criticisms? It's almost like their only goal in life is to see McLaren come out on top no matter what. See Mycroft.

Do I defend Porsche blindly? No, I trash them if something is wrong, you guys all know about my 918 adventure. Do I blindly worship Ferrari? Nope, I trashed them too. McLaren got the same treatment from me, I will praise whatever is good and also pint out the short comings without reserve. As for Lamborghini, it is not without fault either, I believed I had mentioned about the non-existent head room in the Spyder with the top on. But the car itself is so far so good.

--