Quote:
Steve it is a status symbol to everyone that buys it. Otherwise they could invest half or a third as much and modify an existing car with same if not better performance.

Self denial regarding a car as status symbol is beyond my comprehension. If I hooked all of you up to a lie dector you all would flunk.

Nick, I didn't want you to think I agreed with your comments above, I just didn't feel like replying while traveling. Some people don't fit into your model of the Porsche and Ferrari owning world. They want to buy a car with a true racing heritage and drive it on the track to explore its potential. In my view to do otherwise is like buying a thoroughbred with a lineage of Kentucky Derby winners and using it to pull a carriage thru Central Park. Sure it's a horse but it's been bred for better things.

If owning a Porsche somehow signifies status it's damn near the only thing about me that would do so. I dress in denim shorts, t-shirts or Hawaiian shirts and wear a $20 watch because to me that's what's comfortable. In seven years I've been persuaded to wear long pants twice because generally I don't give a damn if people think I look out of place in shorts. That aplies even if I'm dining at SF establishments like Harris' Steak House or Mortons of Chicago. They care more that I can pay than how I dress and I care more that they have damned good food than what it costs. That attitude carries over to my choice of cars. Having done the heavy modification route in the past it doesn't interest me anymore. I like GT3 because it has a direct lineage to Porsche's racing program and out of the box it's a damned capable car. I tip my hat, or I would if I wore one , to people that choose the CGT for the same reasons.

And now I'm done commenting on this thread because we've wandered from the capabilities of the CGT to the rationalization behind owning one and that's obviously a subject for endless debate.