Quote:
MikeN said:
Take the engine out of the GT3 and put it in a Cayman and which one would win? When's the last time you saw a rear engined Carrera GT??

I knew this comment was coming and I agree with you 100% Mike.
But it is not what the quote said.
The quote said, unlike you like the style, the rear seats and the rear biased handling of the 911, there is no reason not to go for the Cayman.

See the difference? No mention of power here mate.
No offense, Cayman is a great car, but money no object, I'd still go for a Carrera S over a Cayman (Yes I admit, it's the rear seats that do it for me! )

The question of putting a GT3 engine in a Cayman is a different matter. It would indeed be a very high performing package. We all know it's not gonna happen though, and in a way, I agree it is sad.

The 911 is what it is, it's a great car thanks to its continuous over 40 years development.
I'm no pro driver (and not even serious ) but I'm not rulling out the fact that with a 6 cylinder engine, the 911 architecture would give a hard time to a mid engined car.
Look at a 381 hp GT3, it is faster round a track than a 495 hp Mid engined V8 Ferrari.
Different brands so hardly coherent, but trust me, with 6 cylinders, 911 is pretty much untoucheable.
Porsche was in competition to win and only win, the Le Mans palmares of the 911 is pretty argument to the fact that, IN ITS CATEGORY, the rear engined flat 6 works.
A V10, V12 car obvisouly has to be mid engined due to the size and engine weight (917).
By the way, sorry, it's not rear engined, the engine sits on the rear axle.