Quote:
bostonmini said:
RC, if the turbo comes in as expected, with only 480 HP, could it actually be SLOWER?

It depends alot on the car's weight, as well as HP and torque curves, i.e., how much power and torque across the rev range the VTG's can make. What is bandied about is PEAK HP figures, this is helpful, because, a car with a higher peak HP has greater potential for greater power and torque at low- and high-revs. HOWEVER, some cars are set up and tuned differently for several reasons with a greater or lesser emphasis for power and torque at different rpm's. The big unknown is the ability of the VTG's to "flatten" the curve, increasing the "area under the curve," meaning how much torque and power can be generated away from the peak, since the greater the area under the curve, the GREATER the potential power output and ultimately performance even at a FIXED peak horsepower. This is the big question for me, since this VTG technology has the theoretical potential to unleash a tremendous amount of usable power even without gargantuan increases in PEAK HP, although nonetheless, the greater the peak HP, the higher the potential power output. Which is why I would love for Porsche to release the HP and torque graphs plotted against rpm's, ideally as soon as they officially release the car's specs. to the general public.