Quote:
bstew said:
Anyone found a way to extend the life of their tires? Anyone tried to rotate them side to side (left front to right front and left rear to right rear). Now this is if the tire can be rotated.

I think they are too wide to consider swapping from side to side. Such swapping can cause problems because the tyre will not contact evenly afterwards. In any case, I think most of these tyres are labelled for inside/outside rather than direction of rotation.

Alignment can make a big difference to tyre wear. Camber makes a difference. Toe setting can be even more critical.

Running them at the specified pressure helps also. Some Americans will run them at a low pressure for comfort but that's a bad idea.

Then running them down until the cord shows (even though this is illegal) will increase mileage. But be careful, the under-surface isn't always flat so if the tyre wears evenly it is possible to actually wear through the tyre before any cord shows. If this happens you might not know it until you try to go around a corner as the sidewalls are really stiff and you don't get the usual feel for a low pressure tyre.

And to state the obvious, wide bald tyres are extremely dangerous in the rain.

I think most people's attitudes are that if you have an expensive performance car then you should expect to pay a lot of money for tyres.

Stephen