Quote:
mbr129 said:
If Porsche offered a Cayman with the same drivetrain as a 997S for the same money, I'd buy the Cayman over the 997S sight unseen.

I can assure you I am not the only one.

Would you buy a mid-engined 997?

Of course, like I said before: the Cayman S would be the hell of a sportscar IF Porsche would have wanted to position it (marketing-wise) next to the 911. But they were afraid of their own courage AND of course it would have costed much more money to develop the Cayman S from scratch than just "adapting" the Boxster instead.

It really depends on how succesful the Cayman S is, it can't be excluded that Porsche changes their attitude if the Cayman is very very succesful. But one thing has to be clear: I read in some of the posts pretty dumb comments about the 911 concept and even in some recent car magazines, some people seem to believe that the 911 is no real sportscar but just something Porsche wants to make us believe. Take the latest comparison tests/reviews of the 997 models, for example the latest one in AMS (Aston Martin Vantage V8 vs. 997 CS) or others and you'll learn very fast: the 911 is one of the finest sportscars in the world. Still. And it is Porsche's decision to create a similar product out of the Cayman in a few years...IF they really want it. Right now, Cayman buyers get what they're paying for.