I also had a 2002 996 Turbo. I drove it everyday for 3 years and traded it for a 997 S cab this past May. I don't think I would have traded it for a 997 S coupe. My decision to trade was based more on the fact I wanted a 911 convertible. I plan to get the Turbo cab when it comes out. If you cant afford the 997 Turbo now then if I were you maybe I'd wait until I could afford it. In terms of power I know the 997 S peformance numbers appear very close, sometimes even beating the Turbo's but the Turbo feels faster. The 997 feels more linear in it's acceleration while the Turbo gives you that pull when the Turbo's spool up. The Turbo will give you some added performance comfort in the rain but the 997 definately grips harder then the 996 C2. When I get a new car I always like to take it IN THE RAIN to a huge open parking lot by my house. I experiment to get a good feeling for the cars wet traction and grip before being surprised on the road. The 997's wet traction and grip is remarkable............... I don't know your financial details with your Turbo - if you bought it new and only have 2 years on a bank note etc. If that were the case I'd wait and pay it off and then it would be easier to afford the 997 Turbo. Also you'd be going from a soft market car (996 Turbo) to a tight market car (997 S). Dunno. If you asked this question 6 months ago I may have leaned towards the 997 S but it isn't a total upgrade, you're losing a couple of big things and the new Turbo is coming. Maybe I'd consider getting more creative financially (maybe doing a longer term finance/ lease for less $$ etc. ) in order to get in a car that will be a upgrade in all areas from what you have now and by changing you would be REALLY happy and wouldn't have your eye on something else in 6 months.