I know that the factory bench run-in is not a break-in. It's not that I don't "believe" you Texas, it's that the subject is far more complex and less stringent than the black and white print you limit and simplify it to, as you take Porsche's recommendations as if they were instructions for diffusing a nuclear bomb. There's no argument as to "believing" the owner's manual, there's just an argument in understanding exactly what an engine break-in really is, and how critical that suggestion in the owner's manual really is. Your engine does not arrive at some magical and physical metamorphasis PRECISELY at the 2,000 mile mark, prior to which revving above 4,000 rpm would be catastrophic to longevity, and after which you can beat it like a red-headed stepchild and it's just fine as long as you change the oil. Break-in is highly esoteric, it proceeds at an exponentially decreasing rate, and there's a ton of different methods with different manufacturers using basically the same materials and tolerances, and the 2,000 mile figure is just a safe and even ballpark-figure that made everybody inside the Porsche headquarters nod in general approval. 90% of the break-in probably occurs during the 1st 10% of the break-in period. When the engine is tight, friction is higher, and break-in RATE is accelerated. That rapid rate decreases exponentially as things loosen and friction decreases. In short, the majority of the effect is realized toward the beginning of the break-in. But I'm talking to a wall I think, like trying to explain the evolution of a species to a strict biblicist who can only point to a pocket Bible and say "no, it doesn't say that in here."

Nothing against religion, because internal combustion engines are not divine creations anyhow.