Lukas:

I actually think a even more pumped up petrol only engine would get obsolete quicker than a hybrid equivalent. Specifically with this category of vehicle that just gets old either way and will not be a collectors car. The typical Panamera owner will probably buy the car, own it for 1-3 years and then move on to the next generation. During this period of time the hybrid will make a lot of sense in todays society. If you live in a city and commute in traffic to work with low average speed between business meetings you can do this in an environmental friendly way on electricity alone and with all the creature comfort, semi-autonomous driving, etc. On longer commutes and on those days when the Panamera owner is up for some more spirited driving from A to B, then that could be achieved as well with some decent exhaust note, more than enough performance, convenience and flexibility with the gas tank on board, etc. (and the germans will be able to outrun most cars on the Autobahn pacing at 310kph). This is probably how the average Panamera customer will use the car. It's also some kind of statement being able to run on electricity only in this type of vehicle and I'm sure that will fit the bill very well for many potential buyers. For those really spirited drives, the Panamera will stay in the garage and the keys to something lighter and more fun will be selected for the weekend joyride or the day on track. Either that be Porsche GTx car or something else from another brand.

I at least think the hybrid Panamera Turbo S is the better move than a bigger pumped up V8 that won't add much more than to shave off a few tenths for the 0-100 speed and a bit increased top speed. Added weight of the hybrid tech will of course be noticable in the corners, but it will still perform better than most of the competition and the average owner will probably pay 300kg of weight penalty for the other upsides that the hybrid provide.

In addition, with the hybrid drivetrain, it will get congestion charges waived in countries that have them and gets to go on HOV lanes for countries that allow them. This part of a hybrid car gets overlooked quite often.

--