Just back from a 2 hrs test drive in a 987S.
For those of u who has never seen my post, I hv had a 987 2.7L for a bout 3 months now, loving every moment of it.

Both the test car and mine are similiarly equiped, no PASM, 18", no Spr Chrono. Both have done about 4000 km. So the comparo by far the fairest.

The first 15mins was a TOTAL disappointment. I faild to see a lot of difference in power. YES, a bit mroe low-down torque than my 2.7L, but not to justify the price differnce.

Gearbox.... SUCK!!!! could be cos it s test car for journalists, but its rubbery, imprecise, long throws compared to my 5 spd. It almost feels "loose", if u know what I mean. My 5 spd is a smooth mechanical feel, about 10% shorter throw (yes, u can feel it), and LOTS more precise.

Clutch- I always think my clutch is too light (Honda Civic Light). and jumping from the S back into my car comfirms that. So 1 point to the S.

Now, 30mins later. got onto the freeway. floored it in 2nd.....
WOW! now, thats how it should feel!! adrenaline pumping, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 140km already. nice.......

Brakes- simply awesome. (no PCCB). I want these brakes!!! they are a world apart from my 2.7. nice feel, stops like nothing I hv tried. Maybe I need to bed in my brakes properly...????!!

Sounds amazing with roof up. a deeper roar than my 2.7L, but not a HUGE improvement tho..... (PSE should fix this)

So, its true that the S feels better the longer u drive it. but is it worth getting a basic spec S compared with my 2.7L with PCM, heated seats etc etc??

NO!
so there, I would never consider buying an S until maybe they put the 3.4L engine in it. so till they fix up the gearbox.

Summary of pros cons of my 2hrs with the S

PROS:
- more torque low down and top-end (not huge diff)
- feel of clutch
- awesome brakes. no need for PCCB

CONS
- not worth extra dollar- but if u r loaded, why not?
- GEARBOX travel and feel- really sux
- Console without PCM looks awefully cheap and jap car-like
- Power hike from std Boxster does not justify price difference.

So there. If you dont hv to stretch you budget and work extra hours to get an S, then go for it. but get a nicely speced on.

If u r like me, a standard 2,7L with PCM w the lot will make u a happy man. just dont order a S with no options thinking it is the ultimate driver's car. cos it isnt, the 997S fits the crown...