Quote:
69bossnine said:
Mike won't like this, but ...

I vainly assume that I am the Mike in reference.

I get fewer speeding tickets these days, too. I think it comes from the onset of old age. In days gone by, when the 55 MPH speed limit was still new, I was much younger and the highway environment was different. Then, if traveling at 58 MPH, one stuck out like a sore thumb. The risk of a ticket was severe, no matter how much north of 55 one traveled. Why not go 100?

Today, the left lane routinely travels at 75-80 MPH on most rural freeways, and faster in states with limits higher than 65. I can cruise in serenity at only 10 to 15 MPH less than the gonzo runs from 25 years ago. So, I don't stick out from the pack as much anymore.

I'm also 25 years smarter about when to press my luck. I occasionally drive the CGT without any AWACS because I haven't had it back to the dealer to put in a hard-wire kit for me yet. It creates a whole ton of attention from all sorts of passers by, including curious officers of the law. No amount of electronic defenses could possibly make the CGT disappear from patrolmens' curiosity screens, so I'm left with my wits as protection.

When using one's wits to high effect, it is possible to have brief flirtations with the 3-digit temptress, but not long affairs. Any sort of prolonged or repetitive relationship with enjoyments of these sorts requires the addition of some electronic protection.

These days, I use more of my wits than I'd like, but have an electronic companion to fall back on.