Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Death of the center console screen at VW?

Whoopsy:
     Is it because Piech caught a cold again testing the prototype so they had to do a high volume low velocity system? 

Couldnt agree more Smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

I saw the display for real yesterday at the Geneva auto show on the TT and I was impressed with all the display possibilities you can have . On a car like the TT ( not a family car ) it is a very good solution .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I saw the display for real yesterday at the Geneva auto show on the TT and I was impressed with all the display possibilities you can have . On a car like the TT ( not a family car ) it is a very good solution .

So why not remove the passenger seat too? It would save weight. Smiley

Mercedes has a much better solution in my opinion. Audi isn't thinking it through. Why limit a car when you can actually have more customers by not doing it? The TT is no GT3 where people could complaint about the lack of sportiness or whatever crap if Porsche would add a rear seat option.

Speaking of rear seats: As far as I heard, the next BMW X6 gets three seats in the rear instead of the current two. BMW learns from mistakes, others still need to make mistakes to be able to learn from them afterwards. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Gnil:

I actually got to play with it at the CES in January. The possibility is nice, but the lost of 50% real estate is huge. But I can see this being the perfect solution to a bike, not a car.

--

RC:
    Gnil:

So why not remove the passenger seat too? It would save weight. Smiley

Lamborghini has done that!

Whoopsy:
    I actually got to play with it at the CES in January. The possibility is nice, but the lost of 50% real estate is huge. But I can see this being the perfect solution to a bike, not a car.

I don't understand the '' 50% real estate loss ''  ??  ( my english is not good enough )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

I don't understand the '' 50% real estate loss ''  ??  ( my english is not good enough )

50%* loss of display area for information, so less information available at a glance for the driver. Instead you have to fiddle with controls to change what's displayed so you can see it, which equals more distraction for the driver, so less safe than having it all visible at once, making it a poor design decision. Imagine they did this in the cockpit of the plane you were to fly in so that the pilot couldn't see the altimeter, inclinometer, airspeed all at once but had to flip through them while he was trying to land.

* approximate value, looks like more than a 50% loss to me, but, either way, it's a significant loss.

apias:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

50%* loss of display area for information, so less information available at a glance for the driver. Instead you have to fiddle with controls to change what's displayed so you can see it, which equals more distraction for the driver, so less safe than having it all visible at once, making it a poor design decision. Imagine they did this in the cockpit of the plane you were to fly in so that the pilot couldn't see the altimeter, inclinometer, airspeed all at once but had to flip through them while he was trying to land.

* approximate value, looks like more than a 50% loss to me, but, either way, it's a significant loss.

That.

Also, in normal cars we run the navigation maps on the secondary centre console display, we can take quick glances there. In this new TT there will be no more quick glances, needs to flip display.

--

Whoopsy:

That.

Also, in normal cars we run the navigation maps on the secondary centre console display, we can take quick glances there. In this new TT there will be no more quick glances, needs to flip display.

Plus, peering at complex visual data, like a map, through a steering wheel that itself may be in motion makes it very difficult to comprehend, so you will end up spending a lot more time looking at it. Someone earlier mentioned WiFi and connected devices, which is also a horrible solution when there is only the driver in the car, trying to drive safely while juggling a tablet to view nav info.

Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

That.

But I saw on the display that you could have the map as a main feature and have small speedos on the bottom right and left  of the display . So you actually still have all the informations.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    But I saw on the display that you could have the map as a main feature and have small speedos on the bottom right and left  of the display . So you actually still have all the informations.

Yes, and those primary function gauges become smaller in order to share space...........................

Taking out the centre console screen could work if they move the speedo and rpm to a head up display. Those stuff are of no use to passenger, so it will only be shown to the driver.

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

Yes, and those primary function gauges become smaller in order to share space...........................

Taking out the centre console screen could work if they move the speedo and rpm to a head up display. Those stuff are of no use to passenger, so it will only be shown to the driver.

My son would disagree with you. Smiley  Smiley

I really think some of the engineers and designers are idiots (or they aren't married and/or have kids).

Yes, the new speedo cluster looks great but why remove the information display from the middle console completely? At least there should be an option.

Like I said before: I will not buy a car without a display in the middle console. NEVER. I just don't want to have to listen to my wife's or kids' complaints why they can't see this and that. No way.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

One screen less means more profit for Audi/VW kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

One screen less means more profit for Audi/VW kiss

Smiley Smiley

--

I like the new TT.  I would never buy are car for its NAVIGATION or audio features or center console.  I try to avoid that feature if I can because the latest smart phone or $200 Garmin device will run circles against it.  That will be double true every two years.  It is an investment in technology which ages much quicker than the car. Just look at Apple Carplay.   Of course I speak from experiance of keeping cars 7+ years from new.

In my car there is also a ban on button pushing by passengers except maybe radio stations selection as the signal fades on long drives and I don't hear the static.  That is the only exception I can think of.  If the wife wants to navigate she can use her smart phone and give advice (suggestions, ahem).

Whoopsy - Yes - he caught a cold.  Water with ice in it will do that as well! Smiley

Ultimately, they should do something similar to what Ferrari does in some of their cars, where they have an info display for the passenger; but in this case, it would be a second LCD screen in front of the passenger, and minimal controls to go with it, so the passenger can help with navigation or entertainment settings as needed/desired/fought over. Of course, the driver could disable the dual controls if needed, to deal with the latter condition. Problem solved.

I personally dislike the centrally located screens. I wear vary-focal glasses, and the view to the side through the reading part of the lenses is distorted. So I have to turn my head and look at the screen almost straight on. I would prefer to have everything directly in front of me. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/19/17 3:04 AM
    bluelines
    254288 1606
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/19/17 8:58 AM
    Gnil
    224721 3430
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/19/17 7:25 PM
    The farmer
    74673 1136
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/19/17 7:19 PM
    GaussM
    53664 540
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/3/17 3:21 PM
    RCA
    31141 279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 10/17/17 9:35 AM
    RCA
    21130 297
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/17/17 2:51 PM
    MKW
    11113 190
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9139 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    4763 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    537974 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/19/17 7:20 PM
    GaussM
    444832 5782
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440264 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249419 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/28/17 10:20 AM
    m4ever
    241889 2499
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

228761 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206348 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    172948 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    158883 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

158428 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/2/17 10:18 AM
    RCA
    133801 1168
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/14/17 1:18 PM
    noone1
    131649 2713
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    121918 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

106175 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106125 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    104828 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102013 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82774 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79699 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76792 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM