Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Took me long enough, just ordered a 997S

Hope it brings me much joy and pleasure like the 996, just ordered a 997S:

- Basalt black/leather interior in black.

- Sport -20mm suspension with rear LSD.
    - Sport Chrono Plus pack.
    - Sport Exhaust.
    - Sport Seats.
    - 19" Carrera Classic wheels.
    - GSM Phone module.
    - Tire pressure monitoring system.
    - 6CD Changer.
    - 4 year warranty extension.

Then afterwards I'll get the radar detector installed stealth inside front bumper and upgrade the stereo aftermarket with amp in trunk, Focal speakers and custom sub box.

... I'm gonna miss my 996 C4 though

Re: Took me long enough, just ordered a 997S

Congrats Carlos couldn't wait for the Aerokit anymore, ha?

I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely the bad part is the wait . Did they tell you when it's ganna be ready?

Around March I believe, faster if the dealer pushes it but I told him its OK, he will give me a more definitive date next week, we are still in b/w xmass holidays in Spain up to the 6th of Jan
    The only thing that could hold it up is if the Sport Exhaust is not available yet, but I think it is already for March deliveries/builds (I'll now soon)

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off and I going for a drive on a PASM 997 (not -20mm) that the dealer has been telling me to take home and have fun and test it

Nice going, Carlos! I hope it's great and treats you to years of pleasure and excitement

One more thing, Carlos:

Since you are going to upgrade the stereo, I recommend that you forget the 6-disc changer. With a headunit that can play MP3 CD's, you can fit 150 songs (easy with very high quality resolution) on a single CDR. Much better than a changer. Also, Alpine make headunits that can control an iPod ($100 extra option), so then you'll have 10,000 songs. You can record all of your CD's to your iPod or burn MP3 CDR's from your computer. Lots of great stuff to download for free (download their free s/w) from: www.limewire.com

Just a thought. I did this on my 993 and I would NEVER use a disc changer now. Use the money you save on some of the other stereo gear

I'm an audiophile that only used vinyl LP's and vacuum tubes (no transistors) until I finally got onboard with all this digital stuff (only for the car - home is still tubes and LP's). Here's a goofy photo and description of my home stereo that I made:
    http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/friends/grantg.html

Grant,

I hear you, I prayed to heavens that Porsche would finnaly offer a headunit that would read MP3's but unfortunatelly they are still in the stone age with this stuff. I wanted to install a hard drive in the trunk to store GB's of MP3's with instant access but with the MOST system on these 997's you have to keep the head unit STOCK! so can't even install a headunit that read MP3's either

So I will have to do with a nearthental made 6 CD charger in the trunk that can only read normal audio CD's

If anybody has a solution to this with the MOST please let me know.

The only thing I will be able to do is install a decent amplifier on the trunk and substitute the stock speakers for some better than the factory Bose option (Focals or the sort), and add a pair of subwoofers in a custom (MDF and fiberglass) sealed enclosure behind the seats.

BTW, I have seen that pic you posted before, I remember those incredible speakers and that amplifier (is that one of those "valve" amps? )

Congratulations Carlos!!! A beber y a tragar, que el mundo se va a acabar.

Congrats Carlos
    Why did you choose black interior, it's much more darker than savana beje you are use to . Anyway black is very beautiful too. Nice wheels too, maybe the best looking ones on the S.

J.Seven

Forget about getting MP3 players, they are going bye bye like the dodo bird.

The newer MP4 units not only only play your tunes, but
    also play video and display still images. You can even
    hook up a digital camera to them.

Maybe Porsche and Becker will surprise us with a MP4 unit in 2006, one can always hope!

Congrats on your new 997S!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    So I will have to do with a nearthental made 6 CD charger in the trunk that can only read normal audio CD's

If anybody has a solution to this with the MOST please let me know.

Can you install an iPod into an input of the stock headunit (is there an AUX input or can you plug it in instead of the changer)?

I bet some aftermarket company will make an interface where you can make some of the mods that you'd like. There are alot of P-cars with MOST now (987, 997, and maybe Cayenne too?). Where there's money to be made, someone will fill the void.

Yes, "Valve" is the British term for the American "Vacuum Tube". I even have a friend that built tube amps for his 1959 Cadillac Eldorado

sounds great! congradulatiuons! I am a little courious on the 4 year extended warranty. Is this in addition to the standard 4yr/50,000 mile warranty? What does it cover.

@ Holminator,
    thanks. Hey were did you learn that! true though

@ J.Seven,
    I've gotten tired of the beige (though its still a beautiful interior objectively speaking) and I want a sportier look so went for black on black. I think the Carrera Classics are a big improvement on the 997S as well

@ JimFlat6,
    the problem is I have my audio-CD collection already encoded into MP3 which I use, so MP3 is still just as functional and practical. I only use MP4 for video, and I have a very small portable MP4/SVCD/DVD/VCD player already that I can use in the car if I wanted to. But still the more compatible formats tyhe better, I wouldn't get my hopes up for 2006 though

@ Grant,
    You have a good point with the AUX interfase! I will have my audio installer who is a friend of mine look into it, or maybe I hear something about it before. Thanks.

@ jhjk04 ,

Thanks. In Europe we get only a 2 yr warranty instead of 4 yrs like in the US, but you can get an extended warranty that covers 4 years instead.

Wow, me parece que papanoel ha dejado un buen regalo o deberia decir los reyes magos! . (I think Santa has left a nice present)

Thats a really good news, my congratulations Carlos, black and black looks excellent for the 997S .. I am totally sure that you'll not miss too much your 994carrera 4.
    "El 997S se pega como un lapa al suelo"..
    BTW:Have you already testdriven the 997S??, I assume you've bought the car in Galicia no??

Well I was thinking of doing a similar video (well not as yours with the 996 because they are too complicated for me), with a mixture of the 997S and the Cayenne turbo. But know that you have ordered this machine I assume you are planning on doing some videos, you know your type of videos...that would be amazing!!!....

Cheers

Congrats Carols, I hope sports exahust will be ready for you but the info I have, its a no go yet not even for March builds unless things have changed over the holidays..

I couldn't belive that!!

maybe tomorrow...

Today in Spain, it's the joke's day

Oh and Carlos, if you want to paint your wheels, I think you should go for the 19" Carrera S wheels because the Carrera classics are painted all the way and the 19" S wheels leave the rim surround in silver. I'm sure you can do it with the classics too but that's the way porsche does it from the factory.. I'm sure you know

@ Alex, Gracias I will do a video sure enough I ordered the car here in Galicia, I did not test drive a 997S but I did a short test of a PASM 997 and will due a longer one tomorrow.

@ Artik, I know, today its the equivalent of "April Fools" day here in Spain I didn't even think about it when I posted it! BTW, are you sure Porsche is developing a diesel Cayenne?

@ muhri, thanks. I believe the sport exhaust is already available just now I have been told (it wasn't 2 weeks ago though), but maybe its only in Europe Nevertheless I will confirm with my own order status on the exhaust next week though. I'm not going to paint the wheels though, I thought about it but just not sure I'd like it. But it really makes a difference when you leave the rim un-painted in silver as you say though, much better, the carrera classics painted look like a test mule

Carlos: Congratulations on your 997S order. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. The 4-year warranty extension was a wise choice too.

I look forward to hearing about your experience w/ the 997 PASM you are going to test - set in both normal/sport modes. Let us know how the normal mode behave on cobbled stone streets, like in Santiago. Also, how the sport mode behaves in good road surfaces, but how it reacts to the inevitble pothole or uneven expansion junction. Also, your views on the nonlinear steering rack.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

@ muhri, thanks. I believe the sport exhaust is already available just now I have been told (it wasn't 2 weeks ago though), but maybe its only in Europe Nevertheless I will confirm with my own order status on the exhaust next week though. I'm not going to paint the wheels though, I thought about it but just not sure I'd like it. But it really makes a difference when you leave the rim un-painted in silver as you say though, much better, the carrera classics painted look like a test mule

True, looks like a test mule when painted - I hope the Sports Exahust is available cause if it is, I will immediately order one - my car should be here in 2 weeks after a long time of waiting for the Sports Exahust haha
    Haven't decided myself I will let the dealer paint my wheels yet - maybe I will wait to see Rc's results first

@ Antonio,
    Thanks I will try to test that out, the expansion joints and stone roads will be easy but the steering feel may be harder, unfortunately we have been having horrible weather the last couple of days but hope tomorrow is better.

@ Muhri,
    Great! if you get it before I do, I would love to hear some input on how the PSE sounds

Congrats!

Please post your feelings about the PSM test drive!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

@ Muhri,
    Great! if you get it before I do, I would love to hear some input on how the PSE sounds

Sure, will do - you verify that it is available first and the minute you do, I fire off an order

Congrats Carlos!!!

sorry..but i read only now this thread!!!

New moderator with new car..great!!!

ciaoo

Carlos ...ciulo!!!!!

great !!!!

welcome to the 997 heaven!

Congrats!!

Thanks guys!

New moderator indeed a well deserved move, congrats.

Now yes!

Congratulations!!! Felicidades Carlos

Carlos, you're the man! Or should I say "El Hombre"?
    Congratulations. The only thing I cant comply with are the rims... I think the carrera classic ones are too slim, and I dont understand the name as well. I love the S rims though.Looking forward to hearing you shout for joy online! :Y
    -Joost-

Gracias Artik and Joost.

Ron, thank you, just hope I can help you guys

I just came back from testing a 997 with PASM on a few mountain roads and the city and I will post my impressions when I write it up.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 9/23/18 10:42 PM
    GaussM
    380036 4941
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 9/24/18 10:53 AM
    RCA
    314254 1932
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines

207109 1067
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 9/24/18 5:28 PM
    Enmanuel
    194802 2259
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/24/18 10:42 AM
    DaveGordon
    170636 2594
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 9/24/18 7:34 PM
    GaussM
    102021 2169
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/23/18 11:11 PM
    RCA
    28375 312
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/24/18 4:26 PM
    throt
    12238 110
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    12091 31
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    608602 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    509641 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    481261 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    272006 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 9/20/18 4:20 AM
    Grant
    253561 2542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    189867 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 9/23/18 3:27 AM
    koko
    181795 1614
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 9/22/18 2:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    171752 3144
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    141535 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 9/22/18 6:52 AM
    the-missile
    134231 2186
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    126229 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    110736 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    105734 871
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM