Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Retro-fit of Sport Chrono on 997 Carrera S ? How ?

Hi Everyone !

Does anyone know what "extra" parts are required (besides the obvious) to retrofit the sport chrono to a 997 ?

Obviously... "Sport" Switch & panel, Chrono Clock on dash....

and a quick "programming exercise" with a PST-2....to enable the option....

BUT ?? Is there a control box or anything else involved ? I can't see that there should be...at least on the Carrera S anyways ?

Anyone have any information ?

Thanks

Ian

Re: Retro-fit of Sport Chrono on 997 Carrera S ? How ?

it's impossible ,imho

Ciao!

errr....hmmm

Actually I don't believe this comes anywhere near to being 'impossible'... but time will tell.

Porsche will eventually offer a retro-fit kit I'm sure !

I'm a design engineer... and have a pretty good idea of whats involved... impossible "definately" does not apply to such simple a problem ! especailly on the Carrera S.... (the 3.6 Carrera without active suspension PASM)is a different story though.

It's only a switch that changes the way the DME control responds to the throttle... The Carrera S already has the active suspension and associated control electronics...

The other features are software changes (via PST-2)to add the "comfort" features.... and the 'chrono' is just a display device ! driven by the main system ! Probably the PCM unit itself !

According to Porsche "all the 'wire tails' are present in this car to add-on electronics etc"

Perhaps some of the more technically minded forum members may care to add their opinions ?

The only unknown is if there is an additional control box required... I think a look at the 997 tech manuals would answer that ?

Anybody have access to the Tech manuals ?

The system in the car would have the "feature" enabled using the PST-2 or other service computer at the dealer !

Anyways... hope this sparks some discussion on the subject... Hopefully someone with some Porsche inside knowledge may be able to shed light on the subject ?

I think it's impossible because Porsche AG don't allwows mounting a "stupid" option like back parck sensors . (simple to do) .....I think that the sport crono system is more difficult to install .
    remember that 997 ,like modern cars ,use MOST BUS ....
    but I'm not an enegeneer ...so ...good luck!
    ciaoO!

...forget about it!

Retro-fit of Sport Chrono Sure it's possible but PITA!

I bet you can get all the modules and plug them in and activate/initialize them with dealer software help BUT:

the "wart" is just gonna hand somewhere else until you figure out how to cut into the dash.

I would take this job on myself AFTER getting photos of what the dash looks like from all angles before it is installed.

If you contact the company that fabricates the dasheds you'd find the one of the ten people on this Earth who knows the wart-support details under the dash.

If I were really really motivated i would remove the entire dash and figure it out myself.

So YES it can be done, but I'd be wary of letting "trained technicians" at the dealer rip my dash out, knowing they had never done it before on a 997. I'd probably take on the whole project myself, doing everything possible to avoid voiding the warrenty.

There ya go: yes possible if you want aftermarket looking wart placement.

yes possible _with much effort_ if you want to cut into the dash for proper wart placement.

This is purely hypothetical right now, so please don't nail me on this one:

I don't think it is possible to retrofit the chrono sport package without the help from Porsche directly. Meaning: some sort of official retrofit kit would be needed.
    I doubt that chrono sport is just a hidden "switch" option in the motronic software, I think that you need a new engine software and probably also a new Tiptronic and ESP control unit software. Maybe I'm wrong but this is the way I see it.
    So even if you get the necessary parts you need at least the correct software and more important: the correct "flashing code" from Porsche to be able to flash the new software. I doubt they will ever provide it if there is no official retrofit kit.

Of course there would be the possibility of aftermarket retrofit kits which involve the original parts and software.
    But due to the nature of the chrono sport package which involves also a different ESP software mapping, I would keep my hands off of such "unofficial" retrofit kits.

We just have to wait to see if Porsche offers a retrofit kit but I highly doubt it. Too many things can go wrong considering the ESP software and other softwares.

I'm pretty sure that Tuners can change the throttle response but more would be too dangerous and/or irresponsible.

Re: Retro-fit of Sport Chrono Sure it's possible but PITA!

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    ...the "wart" is just gonna hand somewhere else until you figure out how to cut into the dash.

I bet you can get a new dash cluster to insert the additional switch - much easier than cutting a hole into the old one.

Bitsa, I would be happy if such a kit (especially directly from Porsche) would be available. This would eliminate that ridiculous clock on the dashboard. I would be happy to get the Sport-switch but the clock looks so hideous and takes away a bit of the 911-style dashboard that I would actually think about NOT getting it!

RC,

I could actually imagine that both programmes are already installed in the car's electronics. Just like Bitsa I could imagine that you can get all necessary components for the kit, question is only, how you stated it, how to get the connection to the electronic's device.

Maybe it might be cheaper to buy another car though...

Hi Guys

Hey Ferdie... I'm with you on the "Dash Clock"... thats why I didn't order it as an option. Actually at the time I spec'd the car (May 19th), there was no info available as to what the "Sport Chrono Pkg" actually consisted of... It was only much later that I found out about the "sport" button and the throttle response changes !... Details of the specific features of the car were almost non-existant for quite a while.... It wasn't until it was at the dealership that I new "for certain" what I was getting ! tuh !

So, I'd be happy with just getting the "sport button" feature and maybe the extra tweaks to AC settings etc... stuff that awful clock thing ;-)

Hey RC -
    I took the switch panel out last night and the wiring is there and also so is the switch (behind the panel)! the LED's are not fitted and of course pressing the switch in the "Sport" position doesn't do anything ! ha !

I wouldn't mind betting that the extra mapping data is present in the DME... If I had access to the parts PET data I could look up the parts numbers for the DME and see if they are the same for cars with and without "sport chrono"... Maybe someone else may be able to take a look ?

Maybe Porsche will wise-up and provide a new option "Sport plus package" everthing but excluding the clock on the dash ! everyone I talk to here would prefer "not" to have the clock... but want the "Sport Button" !

:-)

cost would be prohibitively expensive. lets put it at that.

if porsche never came out with a retrofit for the On Board Computer for the 996 models, they arent going to release a kit for the sport chrono which is infinitely more complex.

Re: Retro-fit of Sport Chrono

With respect Moogle... adding the "996 On-Board Computer" involved... removal and complete replacement of the whole instrument cluster, fitting all of the missing sensors, pick-ups and associated wiring etc etc... huge complicated job ! So, no suprise retro-fit did'nt happen... Also...probably nobody asking for it...

I've been chatting to quite a few 997 Cs owners who didnt have "sport chrono" fitted... mainly because they didnt want the ugly clock on the dash... but they do want the perfomance tweak that the sport switch gives you... My local dealer is starting to ask Porsche about it too !

Fitting "sport chrono" to a 997 S model is probably just the button, clock and a "system software" update.... the wiring is already there along with the active suspension (PASM)... easy !

It could be that the "options" are visible from a PST-2 and can be enabled... I'll find out one way or another.... early days yet.

Don't be so negative guys ! it's only a button, clock and a DME engine mapping change...

It's not rocket science... only Porsche science... just have to figure out their secrets... ha ha !

Thanks for looking into this Bitsa! Keep us updated!

well you may be right bitsa , but i wouldnt advise anyone to do anything without a proper retrofit kit..

Quote:
    Bitsa said:
    I've been chatting to quite a few 997 Cs owners who didnt have "sport chrono" fitted... mainly because they didnt want the ugly clock on the dash... but they do want the perfomance tweak that the sport switch gives you... My local dealer is starting to ask Porsche about it too !

Fitting "sport chrono" to a 997 S model is probably just the button, clock and a "system software" update.... the wiring is already there along with the active suspension (PASM)... easy !

It could be that the "options" are visible from a PST-2 and can be enabled... I'll find out one way or another.... early days yet.

Don't be so negative guys ! it's only a button, clock and a DME engine mapping change...

It's not rocket science... only Porsche science... just have to figure out their secrets... ha ha !

As I mentioned before, even if the code is somewhere in the DME mapping, you still need to activate it. We're not talking about the DME software only but also about PSM/ESP mapping. Personally, I would NEVER trust any aftermarket PSM/ESP mods but to each his own I guess.

The part numbers won't help you much, I bet that the part numbers of DME units with and without chrono sport are the same. You need the software and the only chance to get it is through Porsche. I don't have to tell you that you have to order a DME from Porsche using the VIN number and furthermore it is my understanding that Porsche asks for the "old" unit and also asks for the reason why a new DME is needed. The new PiWiS system is also capable of detecting modded software much more precisely than the PST2 and I don't have to tell you that tampering with the software voids the warranty, even if you're using non-modified original software. Porsche can still argue that there are different versions for different hardware setups and you don't have any chance to prove them wrong in case of a law suite. They are pretty "touchy" lately regarding aftermarket software mapping changes of their software, an engineer I talked to lately even called the "modders" PIRATES. Do it at your own risk but keep my warning in mind.

Quote:
    Bitsa said:
    ...I've been chatting to quite a few 997 Cs owners who didnt have "sport chrono" fitted... mainly because they didnt want the ugly clock on the dash... but they do want the perfomance tweak that the sport switch gives you... My local dealer is starting to ask Porsche about it too !

I hope this is ringing the bell at Porsche. They should actually be happy that people would invest another couple of bucks to active the Sport-setting.

I do believe, as mentioned above, that the Sport-settings fo ALL programmes, including the ESP, PASM, gearbox data, is already installed on all cars. It would make much more sense and cost less money during the production process than providing two different examples of each part!

Bitsa,

you're saying the button is actually installed? So basically all is missing is a device to activate it. Have you talked to your dealer about it already? I could imagine that there will be a way to work on it via the dealer's maintanance computer.

Hi RC

I would never suggest doing anything that was not "pure Porsche" to a car... no way ! I hate hackers and tweakers who don't know what they're doing....

I'm talking ONLY of fitting Porsche parts and having a dealer with the necessary PST-2 (or other Porsche service computer) do the system software tweaks...

I would definatly not do anything to the car that Porsche would not approve of.... thats not the way "I" do things

I'll let you guys know if I find out anything... I have some Porsche "connected" folks looking into it for me... but that doesn't mean I'll get an answer... so if theres anyone else out there who has technical contacts at Porsche... please make some enquires and post the new found knowledge here !

Cheers !

Hey Ferdie

Yes, the Sport switch is actually there (fitted to the PCB) behind the panel... but the associated LED's for backlight and "Sport" on/off) are not fitted... the switch is just a standard "rubber dome/ carbon pill" calculator style button... the outside bit that you press is just a plastic lump !

The whole Switch panel is a "one-piece" unit with one connector !

Therefore, to add the "Sport" button... you would have to replace the entire "switch panel unit"... bummer eh ?

I'm pretty sure that the wiring is there too... as there appears to be more wires than necessary in the connector..

Perhaps a button isn't necessary as owners may just want the "sport" mode on all the time. It is strange to me that the sport mode also activates the PASM sport setting, which I often turn off as I want the extra performance without the jarring ride. If given a choice I'd probably opt to have the sport mode on all the time, leaving the PASM setting selectable.

As for the clock, anyone not getting the sport mode because they don't like the clock should reconsider. You won't really "see" the clock much after a while, and the only people who seem to dislike the looks are other Porsche owners who think of themselves as "purists" or some other such nonsense.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 9/23/18 10:42 PM
    GaussM
    379960 4941
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 9/24/18 10:53 AM
    RCA
    314187 1932
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines

207105 1067
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 9/24/18 10:31 AM
    RCA
    194016 2248
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/24/18 10:42 AM
    DaveGordon
    170452 2594
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 9/24/18 11:36 AM
    throt
    101712 2162
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/23/18 11:11 PM
    RCA
    28326 312
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/24/18 5:56 AM
    WhoopsyM
    12140 106
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    12085 31
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    608585 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    509617 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    481252 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    271986 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 9/20/18 4:20 AM
    Grant
    253542 2542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    189860 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 9/23/18 3:27 AM
    koko
    181776 1614
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 9/22/18 2:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    171733 3144
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    141532 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 9/22/18 6:52 AM
    the-missile
    134202 2186
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    126225 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    110735 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    105732 871
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM