Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Design Tower in Miami

I guess I just find the US boring. Money definitely goes further than any other developed, Western country, but I don't think that's the most important part of life. I don't think the  US is culturally diverse enough. It's all the same IMO.

If I'm not going to live beachfront, then I might as well just live someplace else and vacation to the beach.

In the US it is very easy to make your own diversity. Choose your friends wisely. Be willing to travel and share your home with people you meet and learn to trust. Become involved in intellectual pursuits outside of your immediate Area of work. With some conscious effort you can shape your environment to have a more diverse group of individuals in it all the time. If left to chance, though, some parts of the US are quite homogenous and you can get the sense that everyone is too similar.

I created my own diversity. Btw Kansas City has all the items on the list. We try to keep it a secret. However for a quick beach get away I have been known to jump on a $200 flight to Miami to hang out on Sunny isles beach and scope the boobies. 

I think our solutions were similar Leawood.

Eh, I'd rather be able to take a weekend in a completely different country and culture. From the US, the most you can get to is Latin America which a weekend is usually not going to suffice and where the vibes are pretty similar, economic standing aside.

From Europe you can be in Spain, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Greece, Morocco, etc. Movement of people and labor creates significant diversity as well. Miami gets a lot of tourist and has it's share of foreigners, but every time I've been in Florida, I mainly meet and interact with Americans.

The US is very big and very far away from most places. It makes it very homogeneous. Even living in NYC I felt it didn't have a ton of diversity.

Carlos from Spain:

Right, basically for vacation I like Orlando because of the theme parks for family but that is it, and for beaches I'm not going to go for Miami, don't even like those beaches full of buildings next to them, I prefer more natural beaches, less crowded, even just a few miles south in the keys its much better, and climate is hot in florida but its very humid and just gets boring quickly as you say. 

My wife actually likes Orlando as well, a bit far from the beaches but she could imagine working/living there. It is definitely cheaper than the region around Miami. By living in Orlando I don't mean Orlando per se but the surroundings like Winter Haven or such. We do not like Cocoa Beach for example, it has a certain charm but we love skyscrapers at the beach and big city life.

Less crowded? This is exactly what we do not want. We love crowded and noisy and crazy and different... Smiley

If I want total relaxation, I get that in my coffin when the day comes. Smiley

But for actually living? not with a family, not the place I would want my kids to grow up, bad influence and doesn't matter the school or the place, its society, superficial, no good values, materialistic, and prioritizes in life exactly what shouldn't be prioritized, etc.... won't influence a grown up but a kid who is forming its mind, that is a no go. Not to mention the crime rate unless you live somewhat secluded which is not my idea of freedom, the social restlessness, drugs, etc. and its just getting worse and worse.

Bad influence comes from wrong choices and this is what the parents are for...to guide the kids. My kids are in a public school (many of our friends have their kids in an international school, which is basically a private school) and I actually think that it helps more when kids see that their good life isn't a regular thing (public school) than seeing only Porsches and expensive cars every day (private school), thinking that everybody lives the dream. One reason we sent our kids to public school because we wanted them to be in the middle of life here, not at the margin of it. It was a good decision, our daughter is close to finishing school (SAT/ACT in the US) and she is a good kid. Same goes to our son, who still has a couple of years in front of him but he is really a good kid.

We are often in the US and we have friends there, I think you have a bit of a prejudice regarding the youth there and the education. Not everyone is taking drugs or drinking, there are some good kids there and I met some of them. 

Of course Europe is socially more secure and probably safer in every day life but you need to see the drawbacks as well.

Did I mention what driving a sportscar is like in Florida?... lets just say I'd be driving a Prius if I were in Florida and taking Prozac just so I don't kill myself Smiley

I really enjoyed some nice rides with a friend who knows where to drive to. There are so many nice roads out there if you know your way around. Smiley Only thing I would miss are the mountain roads I enjoy so much.

Also, in Florida, I could drive a cabriolet all year long... Smiley

Me and my wife love heat and the beaches, my wife is also a watersports (swimming, waterski, wake boarding, etc.) addict, I can barely get her out of the water when we are there. We hate the mountains (well, not really but we take not much pleasure in vacationing there...) and we do not like quiet places. Actually, once the kids move out (could take some while Smiley), we plan to sell the house and get a nice condo or penthouse somewhere in or near the city. We're not much of nature people, we enjoy modern architecture and a vibrant city life. The older we get, the stronger the urge becomes to actually live in a place like Miami. For some people, this life is stress, for us it is pure relaxation, as weird as this may sound. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

@SciFrog: Speaking of Miami and Continuum... indecision  Would get a condo there in a second if I could afford it. My favorite place (direct beach access, nice property owned restaurant and pool, huge garage, private elevator...).

Spectacular views (in the mornings, you can actually see dolphins...or sharks angry swimming in the water) in all directions, safe, luxurious, this would be the perfect location for us to live. blush

1IMG_3341.JPG
    1IMG_3342.JPG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

Right, basically for vacation I like Orlando because of the theme parks for family but that is it, and for beaches I'm not going to go for Miami, don't even like those beaches full of buildings next to them, I prefer more natural beaches, less crowded, even just a few miles south in the keys its much better, and climate is hot in florida but its very humid and just gets boring quickly as you say. 

My wife actually likes Orlando as well, a bit far from the beaches but she could imagine working/living there. It is definitely cheaper than the region around Miami. By living in Orlando I don't mean Orlando per se but the surroundings like Winter Haven or such. We do not like Cocoa Beach for example, it has a certain charm but we love skyscrapers at the beach and big city life.

If I had to live in Florida I would pick a small town near Orlando that has good communications (airport, good school, etc) but has more of a small town life style AND people. Never in an urban environment. The opposite as in Europe, were I like to live smack middle of the busy and active city and spend weekends, holidays on the country house near the beach. Weekday living on the country side or suburb for me feels kind of isolated and gloomy.

Less crowded? This is exactly what we do not want. We love crowded and noisy and crazy and different... Smiley

If I want total relaxation, I get that in my coffin when the day comes. Smiley

Different tastesSmiley for me a crowded beach is a contradiction, its an open place to relax and not be in a "herd". That said I'm not much of a beach guy, maybe because I take them for granted but I get bored real quick on the beach and I don't sun bathe either, so I like to do activities around the beach instead.

But for actually living? not with a family, not the place I would want my kids to grow up, bad influence and doesn't matter the school or the place, its society, superficial, no good values, materialistic, and prioritizes in life exactly what shouldn't be prioritized, etc.... won't influence a grown up but a kid who is forming its mind, that is a no go. Not to mention the crime rate unless you live somewhat secluded which is not my idea of freedom, the social restlessness, drugs, etc. and its just getting worse and worse.

Bad influence comes from wrong choices and this is what the parents are for...to guide the kids. My kids are in a public school (many of our friends have their kids in an international school, which is basically a private school) and I actually think that it helps more when kids see that their good life isn't a regular thing (public school) than seeing only Porsches and expensive cars every day (private school), thinking that everybody lives the dream. One reason we sent our kids to public school because we wanted them to be in the middle of life here, not at the margin of it. It was a good decision, our daughter is close to finishing school (SAT/ACT in the US) and she is a good kid. Same goes to our son, who still has a couple of years in front of him but he is really a good kid.

I would never take my daughter to a public school here in Spain, I would do what ever it takes to avoid that. Here you can't control the teachers which are mostly leftist or don't respond to anyone, don't want to sound elitist but the peers is also an even bigger factor, in public schools you have bad conflicting students in the system, you have immigrants who don't know the language or customs and slow the class, you have less mannered and educated kids, even some violence, etc and lots of parents don't realizase this or don't want to but its been shown that after a certain age peers have a GREATER influence that parents have on their children. In my daughter's private school most children are from parents who are professionals (architects, doctors, engineers, business, etc) and we are actually friends with many of the parents of my daughter's peers outside of school, academic level is obviously higher, teacher-parent communication is 100% and when ever you want anytime, even the principal (even the founders of the school are friends actually), you know what is going on real-time and teachers cannot do what they want, etc 

We are often in the US and we have friends there, I think you have a bit of a prejudice regarding the youth there and the education. Not everyone is taking drugs or drinking, there are some good kids there and I met some of them. 

Of course Europe is socially more secure and probably safer in every day life but you need to see the drawbacks as well.

I think you have a idolized sense of it since you are only there for vacation, frequently but for vacation, when you actually live there its different. I guess every place is different vacation vs living there.

Did I mention what driving a sportscar is like in Florida?... lets just say I'd be driving a Prius if I were in Florida and taking Prozac just so I don't kill myself Smiley

I really enjoyed some nice rides with a friend who knows where to drive to. There are so many nice roads out there if you know your way around. Smiley Only thing I would miss are the mountain roads I enjoy so much.

Also, in Florida, I could drive a cabriolet all year long... Smiley

Me and my wife love heat and the beaches, my wife is also a watersports (swimming, waterski, wake boarding, etc.) addict, I can barely get her out of the water when we are there. We hate the mountains (well, not really but we take not much pleasure in vacationing there...) and we do not like quiet places. Actually, once the kids move out (could take some while Smiley), we plan to sell the house and get a nice condo or penthouse somewhere in or near the city. We're not much of nature people, we enjoy modern architecture and a vibrant city life. The older we get, the stronger the urge becomes to actually live in a place like Miami. For some people, this life is stress, for us it is pure relaxation, as weird as this may sound. 

You are getting older, my grandfather actually retired to Ft. Lauderdale Smiley just joking Smiley its all about personal tastes, yours seems to match a busy Miami beachfront area from what you describe, maybe when your kids go to college would be an easier time to take the big step over the atlantic Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos, your Fort Lauderdale comment (even in a joke) clearly shows me that you don't seem to have gotten past that typical family vacation in Florida. Miami is actually the party capital of the world, not that I really need that at my age.  It has changed a lot over the past 20 years or so, the people have changed, businesses...shopping...food...schools...safety...lots of changes.

I wasn't saying I enjoy crowded beaches (I don't and Sunny Isles Beach beach is never really crowded) but I love the vibrant life in cities like Miami, I hate provincial stuff (which is basically 90% of Europe with the exception of the larger capitals and major cultural hotspots) and every related to mountains and hiking. My wife is the same, so I guess I found my soul mate. indecision

We do not idolize Florida or the US, otherwise we would already be there.  We made a couple of friends there who showed us the "ugly" sides as well and "taught" us that without (or too little) money, Florida (and the US in general) is not the best place to move to. So for now, we are vacationing only but we keep our options open for a possible life there, maybe even only after we retire. The weather here in Germany wears us down, especially in the winter months and mentality and politics over here are also a little bit off our personal "grid". 

As to public schools: Yes, even in Germany, teachers are often leftists and many of the kids in these schools are damaged goods, often coming from divorced parents, immigrants without higher education and whatnot. Still, I think that my kids need to see and "experience" this because this is the only way they can realize how privileged they are but at the same time, they learn that there are different people from different backgrounds and this is important in life in my opinion. The fact that our kids are doing fine and are not taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking, etc. proves my point. 

If someone asks now how I know that our kids are good kids: Well, there is a nice saying. Trust is good but control is better. The benefit of parents who are a pharmacist/doctor and computer savvy.   Me and my wife are totally old school in this regard.

--

RC:

So for now, we are vacationing only but we keep our options open for a possible life there, maybe even only after we retire.

Hmmmm.. just like my granpa did indecision ... I'm just joking Christian, don't read into it more than that, obviously I'm well aware of the different contrasting ambiences in the area like hallandale vs miami kiss

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Most are still missing what Miami really can be. I'll make it simple, it can be almost anything you want. That's why it is so popular. 

We have the best of the country life, i.e. A garden, a private pool, garages for the cars, a ping pong table, kids roaming in the streets, people jogging and biking, tennis courts, basketball court and even a beach volley court... then we have the best of harbor life: we have a 70' dock in our backyard with direct access to byscane bay and the ocean. There is a 100+ boat marina minutes away. Then we have the best of city life: closest shopping mall is 10 mins away, closet small urban centers are 5-10 mins away (there's three of them). Closest very large shopping mall is 15 mins away, there are 2 of them. South beach is 20-25 mins away only, design district 20 mins. It's like living in the suburbs inside a large city, very easy to take a Uber if you don't want to drive. 

That combined with all the things listed in the previous post shows you why Miami was an easy choice for the future of our family, safety being top of that list. 

Not sure I'd describe the best of city life as shopping malls. Miami doesn't even qualify as city living IMO. 

I'd rather live in Barcelona than Miami...

We loved Barcelona but would never live there... very insecure, it had been a while we had not felt this uncomfortable in a city. And the taxes are steep. 

noone1:

Not sure I'd describe the best of city life as shopping malls. Miami doesn't even qualify as city living IMO. 

I'd rather live in Barcelona than Miami...

I hate (in the sense that this would be the last place on earth I would want to live) Barcelona... Smiley (and I've probably been there more often than you Smiley). This city reminds me a lot of some cities in the former Eastern Europe block. I also don't like Paris too much, so go figure. Smiley

For someone who is looking for a quiet, safe and somewhat acceptable place with a touch of diverse internationality in Europe, Munich it is. There is a reason why many Germans call it the biggest village (small town) in Germany. Smiley

Berlin? Nope. Prague? Nope. Vienna? Nope. Rome? Oh hell no. Milano? Nice but still...no. 

There aren't many enjoyable big city areas in Europe in my opinion (no, not even London) but to each his own I guess.

It is a matter of personal preference and lifestyle, probably also mentality.

--

SciFrog:

Most are still missing what Miami really can be. I'll make it simple, it can be almost anything you want. That's why it is so popular. 

We have the best of the country life, i.e. A garden, a private pool, garages for the cars, a ping pong table, kids roaming in the streets, people jogging and biking, tennis courts, basketball court and even a beach volley court... then we have the best of harbor life: we have a 70' dock in our backyard with direct access to byscane bay and the ocean. There is a 100+ boat marina minutes away. Then we have the best of city life: closest shopping mall is 10 mins away, closet small urban centers are 5-10 mins away (there's three of them). Closest very large shopping mall is 15 mins away, there are 2 of them. South beach is 20-25 mins away only, design district 20 mins. It's like living in the suburbs inside a large city, very easy to take a Uber if you don't want to drive. 

That combined with all the things listed in the previous post shows you why Miami was an easy choice for the future of our family, safety being top of that list. 

Very well said.  Smiley

I get the feeling that many here, who criticize Miami (and the region around it...), haven't been there for a very long time or only spent a day there. Smiley

We have friends who went there for the very first time over 20 years ago and now came back with us and they were amazed of the possibilities there and how everything changed. The only reason they don't go there often now is...cost. Flights are expensive (even economy costs usually around 4k EUR for four persons), good hotels as well (a week is at least 5k, Easter and Christmas it is almost double for a one bedroom suite) and for half of this money, you can usually get an all inclusive vacation at a four to five star resort somewhere closer to Europe.

Also, shopping in Miami can be expensive (luxury items are now much more expensive than in Europe, we usually only shop some clothing for the kids because everything else is usually often cheaper in Germany, especially luxury stuff) and the valet alone at our hotel is 40 bucks a night (it was 50 but some hotel guests protested it, so they lowered the rate by 10 bucks Smiley). No, there is no room for self-parking, unfortunately.

Bottom line is: The Miami region has changed a lot, new stuff is happening all the time, lots of fine restaurants (our favorite is the Carpaccio in Bal Harbour because we get a table immediately and the food is excellent and not expensive, the Italian 101 in Sunny Isles Beach is also great for Italian food), entertainment (so many shows there with international stars, expos, etc.)...I mean I don't even know where to begin what you can do there. It never gets boring. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 3/23/17 9:02 AM
    RCA
    224944 2447
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 4/26/17 4:44 PM
    Joost
    211929 1424
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 4/11/17 2:52 PM
    The farmer
    88752 1121
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 4/27/17 7:46 PM
    Grant
    56676 1088
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 4/27/17 7:52 PM
    J.Seven
    22071 253
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 4/18/17 7:00 PM
    CGX car nut
    13773 92
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Panamera Sport Turismo expands the Panamera model line 4/26/17 4:23 PM
    Whoopsy
    7304 98
    Porsche Sticky Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid - Most powerful Panamera (2017) 3/3/17 11:00 AM
    RCA
    6083 84
    Porsche Sticky Porsche new model year (2018) news... 3/24/17 4:43 PM
    Grant
    1839 8
    Porsche 918 latest news 3/28/17 4:00 PM
    RCA
    484241 5333
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 3/22/17 10:25 PM
    LP997
    368372 5009
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    222548 1382
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

216932 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 3/31/17 8:48 PM
    watt
    167178 2256
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip 4/16/17 6:21 PM
    RCA
    137347 1298
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 3/27/17 8:57 AM
    RCA
    132485 978
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 4/27/17 4:33 AM
    Pilot

126933 858
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 3/14/17 8:25 PM
    DaveGordon
    110111 1160
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    107749 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

95520 801
    Others McLaren on a winning streak 4/27/17 8:12 AM
    RCA
    87740 1894
    AMG AMG GT Thread Closed 6/9/16 8:38 AM
    RCA
    87373 768
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/9/16 10:25 PM
    blueflame
    80074 665
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 4/13/17 12:16 AM
    CGX car nut
    78075 1426
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 8/3/16 7:37 AM
    Lars997M
    76455 698
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 2/15/17 7:50 AM
    dreamcar
    69304 652
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 2/27/17 2:01 AM
    martini964
    62484 688
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 9/27/16 12:57 PM
    W8MM
    58154 860
    Porsche Porsche 991.2 Carrera S (Facelift) - Short Driving Report 11/16/16 9:20 PM
    DaveC
    54455 273
    Porsche Panamera 2016 (Gen.2) Thread Closed 6/29/16 9:52 AM
    RCA
    52439 608
    399 items found, displaying 1 to 30.