Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    porsches appear stealthy in comparison.

    is this a problem for you?

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    ignacio said:
    porsches appear stealthy in comparison.

    is this a problem for you?



    i'd break that into two questions. iow, they do attract too much attention but what if while being a pia it isn't a problem? how would you answer?

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Interesting question and actually something that's causing me some pause with respect to whether or not I want a Ferrari. My wife, who's normally pretty supportive of these things, asked me "what statement are you trying to make in that car", which took me for a loop a bit. In my case, it goes doubly so in that I had my eye on a yellow 360 which screams: "Hey, Look at ME!!"

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    swisstrader said:
    Interesting question and actually something that's causing me some pause with respect to whether or not I want a Ferrari. My wife, who's normally pretty supportive of these things, asked me "what statement are you trying to make in that car", which took me for a loop a bit. In my case, it goes doubly so in that I had my eye on a yellow 360 which screams: "Hey, Look at ME!!"



    yeah, about the most you can do is tone it down with silver or titanium.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    My 355 attracts much more attention than any of my previous 911s , with the exception of the 964 Speedster.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    The looks they get are what makes them a Ferrari....People look and stare because they want one....

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    For me I dont care what other people think just as long as I'm having fun. So even though the Ferrari is incredible and catches attention (more than I care for) I think its attention factor is justified by its fun/performance factor...but I think I would get a porsche first

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    I would say Ferraris attract more attention because it is very rare that you see one. Even in Beverly Hills or Malibu, I will see a Porsche almost every other block, but a Ferrari? Ferraris are very rarely driven on the street so when you see one, it attracts more attention.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    ben, lj said:yeah, about the most you can do is tone it down with silver or titanium.



    I don't know about you but I had a silver 360 for four years and it attracted just as much attention as a red or yellow one. I couldn't go anywhere without thinking about where to park it too.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    thats why someone chooses ferrari over porsche, for attention at the drive through at their favourite fast food resturant!

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    thats why someone chooses ferrari over porsche, for attention at the drive through at their favourite fast food resturant!



    or because the entire fcar experience (primarily sound and high revving NA motor in a lightweight RWD car) gives you a woody without having to go near the limit (which is not something you can do all the time on the street - i hope) to get one with a pcar (save for your GT3 which is as fcar as you can get in a pcar and which is right there).

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    The better heartfelt honest poll is : How much much does it boost your ego with the pointing/waving/flip-offing/cheering attention you get driving a Ferrari that no other car can match ? A) A lot B) A whole lot c) A Tremendous Amount

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    nah im just kidding around, the ferrari experience is awesome, truely has soul,

    the reason it attracts attention is because they are rare

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    haha whats wrong with attention?? I'd love to own a Ferrari just for attention Ferrari is a status symbol saying hey look at me I'm rich!! There is nothing wrong with that and its totally cool.

    Porsche I believe are more common and thats why maybe don't attract as much attention (unless you own a Carrera GT ) and is more for driving pleasure.

    Given the chance though I'd love to own both!

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    haha whats wrong with attention?? I'd love to own a Ferrari just for attention Ferrari is a status symbol saying hey look at me I'm rich!! There is nothing wrong with that and its totally cool.

    Porsche I believe are more common and thats why maybe don't attract as much attention (unless you own a Carrera GT ) and is more for driving pleasure.

    Given the chance though I'd love to own both!



    I'm not sure Ferrari owners buy the car in order to show everyone they're rich ! That stereotype is just wrong. Most of the owners i know have worked hard for years to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a Ferrari.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Of course a Ferrari attracts attention, especially if it is a red Ferrari. But this is actually what the owner wants, isn't it? From a performance standpoint of view, there are cars on the market which are on the same level or even better (with the exception of the Enzo maybe).
    I think Ferrari owners have a certain passion for showing off, not always but they enjoy people actually watching them. This doesn't mean that Ferrari owners bought a Ferrari only for showing off, this wouldn't be correct. I know enough Porsche owners who bought a Porsche because of it's reputation and not because they care about drive feel or performance. But to be honest and I know this will get me a few flames here: I met dozends of Ferrari drivers over here in Germany and on my trips to France, Italy, etc. None of them was really driving fast and those who did, didn't know how to do it. I know there are probably even more Porsche drivers (due to more Porsche cars on the streets) who aren't much different but from personal talks from Ferrari owners, I learned the difference. In a first discussion, a Ferrari owner usually starts to tell me how great his car looks and how nice the exhaust sounds. A Porsche driver usually tells me how fast his car went through a curve. I think you get my point.

    Don't get me wrong, I know there are enough Ferrari drivers out there who know how to drive fast (really fast ) and who actually enjoy DRIVING their cars for the sake of driving itself and the drive feel. I just didn't meet them yet.

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Of course a Ferrari attracts attention, especially if it is a red Ferrari. But this is actually what the owner wants, isn't it? From a performance standpoint of view, there are cars on the market which are on the same level or even better (with the exception of the Enzo maybe).
    I think Ferrari owners have a certain passion for showing off, not always but they enjoy people actually watching them. This doesn't mean that Ferrari owners bought a Ferrari only for showing off, this wouldn't be correct. I know enough Porsche owners who bought a Porsche because of it's reputation and not because they care about drive feel or performance. But to be honest and I know this will get me a few flames here: I met dozends of Ferrari drivers over here in Germany and on my trips to France, Italy, etc. None of them was really driving fast and those who did, didn't know how to do it. I know there are probably even more Porsche drivers (due to more Porsche cars on the streets) who aren't much different but from personal talks from Ferrari owners, I learned the difference. In a first discussion, a Ferrari owner usually starts to tell me how great his car looks and how nice the exhaust sounds. A Porsche driver usually tells me how fast his car went through a curve. I think you get my point.

    Don't get me wrong, I know there are enough Ferrari drivers out there who know how to drive fast (really fast ) and who actually enjoy DRIVING their cars for the sake of driving itself and the drive feel. I just didn't meet them yet.



    all the bogus stereotyping in there just goes straight up in smoke when the question is asked: "what about the tons of people who own BOTH p and fcars".

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

    all the bogus stereotyping in there just goes straight up in smoke when the question is asked: "what about the tons of people who own BOTH p and fcars".



    Their choice of rides depends on whether they have been taking the meds for their bipolar disorder, Ben .

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

    all the bogus stereotyping in there just goes straight up in smoke when the question is asked: "what about the tons of people who own BOTH p and fcars".



    Their choice of rides depends on whether they have been taking the meds for their bipolar disorder, Ben .


    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    tonyhopkins said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    haha whats wrong with attention?? I'd love to own a Ferrari just for attention Ferrari is a status symbol saying hey look at me I'm rich!! There is nothing wrong with that and its totally cool.

    Porsche I believe are more common and thats why maybe don't attract as much attention (unless you own a Carrera GT ) and is more for driving pleasure.

    Given the chance though I'd love to own both!



    I'm not sure Ferrari owners buy the car in order to show everyone they're rich ! That stereotype is just wrong. Most of the owners i know have worked hard for years to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a Ferrari.

    Don't get me wrong man thats not the only sole reason they buy it its just an added bonus...no need to get worked up Plus I base this with my expriences with rich snobby Ferrari owning people...I'm sure people on this website are much kinder than the people I've met

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    Quote:
    tonyhopkins said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    haha whats wrong with attention?? I'd love to own a Ferrari just for attention Ferrari is a status symbol saying hey look at me I'm rich!! There is nothing wrong with that and its totally cool.

    Porsche I believe are more common and thats why maybe don't attract as much attention (unless you own a Carrera GT ) and is more for driving pleasure.

    Given the chance though I'd love to own both!



    I'm not sure Ferrari owners buy the car in order to show everyone they're rich ! That stereotype is just wrong. Most of the owners i know have worked hard for years to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a Ferrari.

    Don't get me wrong man thats not the only sole reason they buy it its just an added bonus...no need to get worked up Plus I base this with my expriences with rich snobby Ferrari owning people...I'm sure people on this website are much kinder than the people I've met



    No prob, i'm not getting bothered at all But it looks like you need to meet some real enthusiasts, m8

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    tonyhopkins said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    Quote:
    tonyhopkins said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    haha whats wrong with attention?? I'd love to own a Ferrari just for attention Ferrari is a status symbol saying hey look at me I'm rich!! There is nothing wrong with that and its totally cool.

    Porsche I believe are more common and thats why maybe don't attract as much attention (unless you own a Carrera GT ) and is more for driving pleasure.

    Given the chance though I'd love to own both!



    I'm not sure Ferrari owners buy the car in order to show everyone they're rich ! That stereotype is just wrong. Most of the owners i know have worked hard for years to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a Ferrari.

    Don't get me wrong man thats not the only sole reason they buy it its just an added bonus...no need to get worked up Plus I base this with my expriences with rich snobby Ferrari owning people...I'm sure people on this website are much kinder than the people I've met



    No prob, i'm not getting bothered at all But it looks like you need to meet some real enthusiasts, m8

    Ferraris attract little kids too

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?



    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Client parking of the left, doctor parking-right

    Re: Ferrari. Like a gold tooth in a rat !

    Ferraris look as flashy as a gold tooth in a rat.....
    So says the London Sunday Times.

    The Times says that people who have taste and
    want a Ferrari should get one of these...

    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1421150,00.html

    Their editors also picked the Carrera GT over the Enzo,
    love the new 997 and adore the New Aston DB9.

    Re: Ferrari. Like a gold tooth in a rat !

    OK, guys. I laughed my pants off when I saw that PE picture (thanks Pierre ) but it is enough now. We don't want to start now what Nick started on the Porsche forums.
    There is nothing wrong with owning a Ferrari and I think a lot of us Porsche owners would probably have one in the garage too if money wouldn't be an issue. But when you have to choose ONE sports car, the choice is pretty clear for me personally. I want performance in the first place, the usability of a daily driver, an attractive exterior too (and judging by the reaction of various women and men on the street and among our friends a Porsche looks attractive to them...still ) but not THAT flashy that envy leaks out of people's mouth, eyes, ears and nose. I can't speak about California or other countries but over here in Germany and I'd say even Europe, a Ferrari doesn't always create admiration but a lot of envy and hot blood. It attracts the attention of police men, weirdos and my customers. I don't need that. It took me months to "explain" and justify my Cayenne Turbo to my customers, they would probably turn their back on me if they knew that I own a 997 CS too. This is how it works over here and yes, I wish it was different. But of course this is only one of the reasons I own a Porsche. Another one, besides the performance issue, would be maintenance and repairs. I had a shock when a friend told me that most Ferrari owners in Germany don't go to official Ferrari dealers for maintenance and repairs. And if I look how far I'd have to drive to the next Ferrari dealer, I prefer to stay with my "Volks" sports car, the 911.

    Re: Ferrari. Like a gold tooth in a rat !

    RC,

    the F maintainance cost reputation doesnt seem to apply to 360's or 550/575's. these are very reliable cars, confirmed by talking to F service mgrs. and service is not much more than P service, although there's a 5k service instead of only 15k for P

    to avoid envy and to be true to principles of "goodness", we would all drive small fiats or bicycles and donate what we spend on sports cars to the poor. to parse this thought between F's and p's is pointless.

    i donate a lot to charity, but i am just not "good enough" to avoid the envy by biking to work. both F's and P's are completely superfluous... but if you work hard and create some success, it seems reasonable that you enjoy a portion thereof.


    Re: Ferrari. Like a gold tooth in a rat !

    For Germany, I had no idea that Porsche 911's were on the
    popular culture "suspect" list for ownership dislike/envy.

    I suspected that those hideous Strosek Ferraris were on the short list for Hamburg pimps, but I thought Porsches must be ok! Should I get a "wind up" Polo instead?

    What must "they" think of us hapless Americans who
    do the factory delivery and drive around on tourist
    plates?

    Too bad that neighbors and strangers judge and define
    who you are by what wheels you have. What a somber milieu!

    The German government should do some PR work to get people to lighten up on the envy front. Maybe a airlift of
    heavily discounted new Corvettes would help?

    If it became common knowledge in the US that Germans suspect Porsche owners,or that Porsche owners in Germany have to "explain" their car choice to the "volks court of opinion" it will kill the sales "magic" in the USA.

    Re: Ferrari. Like a gold tooth in a rat !

    My experience in traveling to resort areas of Europe ( not Germany ) is that the Germans are by far the rowdiest , craziest in a fun way , " let your hair down " ones. I've always suspected this must be a release from some pretty rigid social " norms " back home. Maybe that explains RCs comments re luxury cars there. Am I right, RC ?

    Re: do ferraris attract too much attention ?

    Quote:
    pierre said:








     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 10/13/18 7:49 PM
    lukestern
    389357 5041
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 10/14/18 11:37 PM
    watt
    316772 1950
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 10/20/18 7:09 PM
    911tts
    229315 2629
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines
     
     
     
     
     
    208429 1067
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 10/21/18 3:59 AM
    CGX car nut
    179901 2647
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 10/19/18 10:00 PM
    DaveGordon
    109445 2233
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    30133 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13336 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    12680 31
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    612539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    513236 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    482086 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    273836 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/20/18 11:17 PM
    ag23
    256765 2567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    190511 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 10/21/18 3:54 AM
    koko
    184041 1652
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/15/18 10:07 AM
    WhoopsyM
    175062 3187
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    141954 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 10/7/18 8:43 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    136124 2187
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    126832 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111062 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106001 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 10/21/18 12:11 AM
    Leawood911
    79220 1058
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    65579 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    56785 423
    Lambo Huracán Performante in "6.52 something" at the Ring? 11/7/17 12:30 AM
    kingjr9000
    49773 852
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/29/17 12:27 PM
    DJM48
    45644 471
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42582 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    40842 597
    Others Tesla Roadster 10/20/18 10:45 AM
    AP911
    39775 1351
    305 items found, displaying 1 to 30.