Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

nberry:

Christian, there is no better white in the car industry than the Porsche white. It suits the car perfectly and it does not matter on which model. Like red is to Ferrari, white is to Porsche.kiss

Now regarding that extra GT3 at your dealer......laughindecision

I'd say the best universal color for Porsches is Silver (analogy to Ferrari Red), although I like many others too.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I agree with the silver being the best color!

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

I was wondering if someone could explain why some Porsche provided shots of the front air intakes look like the white Porsche... with the ungainly plastic inserts inside the intake area.  And others look like the silver one below: much, MUCH cleaner.  

IntakesWSideObstruction.tiff

CleanIntakes.tiff

Turbo - Silver

Turbo S - White

What is the functionality of this difference?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

"Form follows function"

Well, nobody claimed that "Colour follows function".   Smiley

--

fritz

yesI think the Turbo S has the parking sensors and the other doesn't...

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

ag23:

yesI think the Turbo S has the parking sensors and the other doesn't...

Both cars in the photos have the parking sensors but it may have something to do with the Adaptive Cruise Control???

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

DaveChapin:

I was wondering if someone could explain why some Porsche provided shots of the front air intakes look like the white Porsche... with the ungainly plastic inserts inside the intake area.  And others look like the silver one below: much, MUCH cleaner.  

CleanIntakes.tiff

White Turbo S standard with:

Front apron sides additionally with airblades and integral parking sensors

I see the difference but I cannot "understand" it. yes Are the air blades supposed to provide more air? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I think it's visual... different angle of attack.  Just something small to distinguish/justify/brag about?  LOL

KresoF1:

optionals never ends...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

This is not an option you can choose for the Turbo, this is why I was wondering... yes

--

They should. But... IMHO this is another not very needed gimmick.

its one of the differences between turbo and turbo s yes

hunterone:

its one of the differences between turbo and turbo s yes

Since this "difference" isn't too obvious, I wonder why it is necessary. Smiley  I am pretty sure that there is more behind it than meets the eye because otherwise it wouldn't make much sense (production cost-wise).

--

OK. Porsche apparently now offers a black painted rim option for the Turbo rims only, available starting with week 36.

I'm not sure however that the car configurator "shows" the black painted rims correctly, according to the description, the rims are completely black.

--

fritz:
    reginos:

"Form follows function"

Well, nobody claimed that "Colour follows function".   Smiley

Scrub that post!  Smiley   I initially misunderstood reginos' post as Dave Chapin's images were not showing on my screen.  Smiley

--

fritz

RC:

OK. Porsche apparently now offers now a black painted rim option for the Turbo rims only, available starting with week 36.

I'm not sure however that the car configurator "shows" the black painted rims correctly, according to the description, the rims are completely black.

Unfortunately, it "shows" correctly. Here is description of XDG option for standard Turbo wheels:

Wheels completely painted in Black (highgloss finish) and wheel centres with coloured Porsche crest. Note: in conjunction with 20-inch 911 Turbo wheel the high-gloss polished front surfaces will not be painted

With XRU 20" Sport Classic wheels front surface will be painted in Black while outer rim will be finished in highgloss polished finish.

mail  Dammit, thanks...why no black for Turbo S rims?  yes

Btw: The German description doesn't mention the polished outer rim, it say completely painted. 

--

AFAIK polished surface can not be painted at all in any color. So, wheels with polished surface(CL Turbo S wheels which are combination of Black inner color and polished front surface) can not be painted.

There is only one cure for those that can wait for week 41 production-optiona XRU 20" Sport Classic wheels which are finished in standard form in GT-Silver front surface with polished outer rim or you can order them with XDG option in highgloss Black front surface with polished outer rim(as seen in 991 Turbo Exclusive programm catalogue, BTW-you posted some pics here in this thread-LIme Gold Turbo with XRU/XDG wheels).

Further notice-standard 991 Turbo wheels are 1/2 inch narrower(front and rears) then standard CL 991 Turbo S wheels or optional 5 lug XRU 20" Sport Classic wheels.

RC:

Black doesn't seem to be the right color for the new Turbo, it hides lots of design elements (I wonder if Porsche did that intentionally? ). On the 997 Turbo/S, the side air inlets and air outlets in the rear bumper are bigger and better visible due to their design but things are different with the new Turbo models. Also the front lip, part of the active aerodynamics, will be better visible on non-black cars, just keep that in mind. The whole car in black kind of distracts from the particular design elements, so you basically get a black mass of a 991 but you are missing out on the design highlights. At least I think so...haven't seen a black production car without camouflage, so maybe I'm wrong.

If one orders black, I would at least set an accent in the interior: Not everyone is a fan of the black/Carrera red bi-color interior but there are other bi-color interiors as well. Black on black is kind of boring and while deviating stitching looks very nice, it isn't available yet, unfortunately. You get however red stitching (back of seats, dashboard, etc.) with the black/Carrera red bi-color interior.

Also be aware that nowadays, you can change the exterior color easily (foil) but when it comes to the interior...well...nothing much you can do about it.

Speaking of as why deviating stitching isn't available yet, it is a mystery for me too. Maybe it has something to do with the first production batch, more options should be available end of this year (week 44/46 and later). What is kind of strange is that for example, I cannot change my 991 Turbo S order anymore, not even the exterior or interior color. My car is supposed to be produced in September, so I really don't understand that. Maybe it has something to do with the factory vacation but according to my knowledge, Porsche keeps the factory up and running, just at a slower pace with less workers. So I really wonder why a car, which is scheduled for mid September production, cannot be "changed" anymore without delaying production. Smiley

--

Is it positively confirmed that the back of the seats do get the red stitching on the black/red TTS interior?  The configurator shows the seat backs with a black stitch.  Smiley

I've been going back and forth between all black interior OR the black/red combo.

RC, when you get your car you have to post pics of that baby ASAP!!!

Tony007:

Is it positively confirmed that the back of the seats do get the red stitching on the black/red TTS interior?  The configurator shows the seat backs with a black stitch.  Smiley

You need to use the 3D version of the configurator and then click on the "interior" icon and then the "play" button. Yes, with the black/Carrera red bi-color interior, the back of the 18-way sport seats plus is black with red stitching. Looks quite amazing actually but I don't have a clue why the airbag side panels and the lever for moving the seatback are silver.

I've been going back and forth between all black interior OR the black/red combo.

RC, when you get your car you have to post pics of that baby ASAP!!!

Right now, my car is scheduled for mid/end of September production. I get one of the first cars, so I promise to post pics immediately but I think that starting with end of August, there will be plenty more 991 Turbo/Turbo S pics available on the internet.

--

Got it!!!   The US configurator is still showing the black stitch and indeed the German configurator shows it with the red stitch.  Looks amazing!

KresoF1:
    DaveChapin:

CleanIntakes.tiff

White Turbo S standard with:

So Porsche actually thinks these "air blades" are an improvement?  I thought it was bush league, something that hopefully just the prototypes had.  They look absolutely awful, like Porsche wanted to fake making the intakes look bigger.

Are we talking the same thing here? Because I actually think that they look just fine and even better, if they really serve a purpose (which neither I or you can know since we didn't develop this car...).

--

Agreed... I like the angled look of the Turbo S better as well.

RC:
    BjoernB:

I was at my dealer and unlike the GT3 - he still has slots for Turbo S 2013 delivery....

Are you surprised? The 991 Turbo S costs almost 60k EUR more. I bet your dealer has 918 slots available too. Smiley

I also heard that Porsche kind of "allocates" GT3 production slots depending on how many 918, Turbo/Turbo S and/or other specific models the dealer ordered. Smiley

My dealer has, as far as I know, two Turbo S orders now (he got another one in last week) for 2013 but four or five (I don't remember anymore) Turbo orders. Unfortunately first Turbo production is scheduled for november, which is also weird (Turbo S are coming first).

Why would people order the Turbo and not the Turbo S? Well...this is a mystery to me too. Apparently people look more at money than I thought and they seem to prefer to add certain (leather) goodies instead of power. Smiley

I should ask my dealer what these (Turbo) cars are worth, so I could actually tell if this is about the money or not.

--

why would people order the turbo and not the turbo S? now i wonder too because historically, the turbo always came out a couple of years ahead of the S and buyers enjoyed that top of the line status for the duration, also the turbo always had more power and better performance than the previous S, so lets see whats happening now: not only the new standard turbo's design lacks the wow factor (my opinion), but also lacks HP (less than previous S), lacks a manual option, gained weight, became much more expensive and the worst worst thing is that now the S is coming BEFORE the standard turbo. why have a turbo at all then?  so yes now I agree with you that getting the standard car has become questionable. the only problem is that the S is not worth 190-200 grand in my opinion. Because of this unusual decision by porsche to release the S before the standard car and mostly because of that, I have decided to forgo my first position on the list for a standard turbo which i had for 2 years with a paid deposit and i have just asked for my deposit back, very disappointed. 

its not always the money, its the value you are getting in return for that money and with the S out before the standard car, i feel there is much less value to the standard car. ive been struggling with this for a while now, but i finally decided to spend a few hundred dollars more a month and get something with a real wow factor (at least for me) and much much better performance. ....im picking up my 2013 12c spider next saturday..... i think its tough to beat 0-100 mph in 6 and 0-200 km/h in 9 flat in an open top....but thats just me....

--

2011 CTT

2005 F430

2010 Audi S5

You make excellent points. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Porsche must have done studies on this before deciding to release the S before or with the standard TT. Smiley

That said, replacing it with the 12C Spider is a fabulous decision. Looking forward to some pictures.Smiley

Well done!!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 10/13/18 7:49 PM
    lukestern
    389353 5041
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 10/14/18 11:37 PM
    watt
    316770 1950
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 10/20/18 7:09 PM
    911tts
    229301 2629
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines

208426 1067
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 10/21/18 3:59 AM
    CGX car nut
    179890 2647
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 10/19/18 10:00 PM
    DaveGordon
    109437 2233
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    30133 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13336 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    12680 31
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    612528 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    513224 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    482083 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    273829 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/20/18 11:17 PM
    ag23
    256761 2567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    190510 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 10/21/18 3:54 AM
    koko
    184036 1652
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/15/18 10:07 AM
    WhoopsyM
    175059 3187
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    141954 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 10/7/18 8:43 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    136118 2187
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    126830 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111061 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106001 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 10/21/18 12:11 AM