Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

VW Golf GTE or GTI?

OK, OK, I know neither of these are “Other Sports Cars” couldn’t think of any other Board to post on. Smiley

I’m retiring in a couple of months and will no longer need three cars, Boxster GTS - a definite keeper - my daily drive Volvo V40 D4 diesel and SWMBO’s Honda Jazz. We’ve narrowed the choice down to Golf GTE plug in hybrid or a GTI. Both are similar in price as here in the U.K. the government gives a decent subsidy to PHEV cars. GTI obviously would be the better drive, but we’ll be doing mainly local trips in the Golf with occasional 100km trips to see SWMBO’s family where we wouldn’t use the Boxster. Delivery times are becoming crazy on GTE models, I have one on order from November and delivery is now quoted at July (originally estimated at April when ordered). Demand is so high for the GTE that Volkswagen are no longer accepting any new orders for it. I could have a GTI in 15 weeks from order, so theoretically early April, not that the delivery date is all that critical. No penalty to change models. Our VW dealer will honour the part exchange values for the Volvo and Jazz despite the delayed delivery for the GTE.  

So, what to do? Head says wait for the GTE due to lower running costs on the majority of the time and we already have a fine drivers car in the Boxster, but heart says go for the GTI......Smiley Don’t want to go any more expensive than this, so VW Type R or Audi S3 etc not in the running. Looked at various other cars, including Honda Civic Sport or Type R. 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Re: VW Golf GTE or GTI?

Hybrid has no congestion charge smiley

Just saying.

--

Whoopsy:

Hybrid has no congestion charge smiley

Just saying.

Very true....Smiley but currently only London here has a congestion charge - on the odd occasion I visit “the City” I use the train & underground. Other cities here are talking about introducing a congestion charge, but either for older diesel cars or only excluding pure electric cars - which I wouldn’t entertain. Recent changes to our Road Fund Duty mean that both GTE and GTI both incur the same GBP 100 annual charge, prior to April 2017 any vehicle emitting less than 100g/km was exempt, hence the diesel Volvo is zero RFD at 99 g/km. The testing for CO2 has been proven to be flawed ever since the notorious VW scandal.

Interestingly the GTE navigation is linked into the engine management, when GPS detects the car is entering urban areas it will automatically switch to electric only drive if there is sufficient charge in the battery to minimise pollution....... very clever!

Logic does persuade me to wait for the GTE I must admit
    --

How about i3S with the range extender? Surely that is still considered full electric car?

WAY:

How about i3S with the range extender? Surely that is still considered full electric car?

Thanks for the tip - but i3 is quite a bit more expensive, and even with the range extender version the refuelling range is less than 200 miles as it has a tiny fuel tank - the Golf with a 40 litre tank can achieve 400+ miles.I’m not overly struck by the styling either and the seats are not as comfortable as the Golf. It’s the same category as the Golf GTE being a plug in hybrid.

The Golf’s sister car, the A3 e-tron is very nice but the high price eliminates it as a choice. 

--

dreamcar:

OK, OK, I know neither of these are “Other Sports Cars” couldn’t think of any other Board to post on. Smiley

I’m retiring in a couple of months and will no longer need three cars, Boxster GTS - a definite keeper - my daily drive Volvo V40 D4 diesel and SWMBO’s Honda Jazz. We’ve narrowed the choice down to Golf GTE plug in hybrid or a GTI. Both are similar in price as here in the U.K. the government gives a decent subsidy to PHEV cars. GTI obviously would be the better drive, but we’ll be doing mainly local trips in the Golf with occasional 100km trips to see SWMBO’s family where we wouldn’t use the Boxster. Delivery times are becoming crazy on GTE models, I have one on order from November and delivery is now quoted at July (originally estimated at April when ordered). Demand is so high for the GTE that Volkswagen are no longer accepting any new orders for it. I could have a GTI in 15 weeks from order, so theoretically early April, not that the delivery date is all that critical. No penalty to change models. Our VW dealer will honour the part exchange values for the Volvo and Jazz despite the delayed delivery for the GTE.  

So, what to do? Head says wait for the GTE due to lower running costs on the majority of the time and we already have a fine drivers car in the Boxster, but heart says go for the GTI......Smiley Don’t want to go any more expensive than this, so VW Type R or Audi S3 etc not in the running. Looked at various other cars, including Honda Civic Sport or Type R. 

--

My advice? Get the GTE due to lower running cost and save that money for other fun stuff in life...like other cars (maybe, who knows?). Smiley You already have a nice sportscar, you don't really need a GTi, unless you really really want to (do you?). Yes, having a nice and sporty daily driver is fun but only if there is enough money left for other toys (or fun stuff).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    dreamcar:

--

My advice? Get the GTE due to lower running cost and save that money for other fun stuff in life...like other cars (maybe, who knows?). Smiley You already have a nice sportscar, you don't really need a GTi, unless you really really want to (do you?). Yes, having a nice and sporty daily driver is fun but only if there is enough money left for other toys (or fun stuff).

Thank you Christian - sound advice as always! Smiley The more I think the more I believe it is best to wait the extra couple of months for the GTE. If we didn’t have the Boxster, well the GTI would make more sense.

We wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas Smiley 

--

If the GTE is in demand, that helps also: if you find it was the wrond choice, you can sell it with less depreciation than a GTI.

Kimi:

If the GTE is in demand, that helps also: if you find it was the wrond choice, you can sell it with less depreciation than a GTI.

Very true..... and according to VW release even dealer stock orders have been cancelled - along with any order not actually tagged to a customer - in order to try and improve the “production bottleneck”. Unprecedented demand for what is basically a family hatchback, albeit with a fairly sophisticated drivetrain.

--

@dreamcar

I've just ordered an BMW i3s as company car to replace my Mini Cooper Works (R56), great car for my needs (home - office -city - aitport), fun to drive and no taxes for the usage as company car to pay! ;-)

Lord_Driftalot:

@dreamcar

I've just ordered an BMW i3s as company car to replace my Mini Cooper Works (R56), great car for my needs (home - office -city - aitport), fun to drive and no taxes for the usage as company car to pay! ;-)

But this thing is sooooo ugly... ­čś▒

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Full opted in black/ black it's OK and as said, it's really fun to drive...for the city/ my usage

I applaud BMW for the individual styling - inside and out - of the i3, like it or not it’s different. The Golf however is thoroughly conventional, certainly boring in its styling, much like a 911 it has developed through evolution rather than revolution over its 40 year life. To sum it up I always think of Golf as “white goods” on wheels, functional and quality much like a Miele washing machine.

For me, the biggest disadvantages of the i3 is the very limited range, even with the range extender version, less than 200 miles, the Golf is 500 miles. And crucially for me, the cost, significantly higher than VW, and residual values of the i3 are quite poor, too.

--

I wanted to get my daughter a Renault Twizy at age 16, there is a speed limited version she could drive at that age. She said she would rather walk to school than drive in one of these and I get it. Why do some ELVs look that ugly?

--

GTE production delays halted orders in the UK according to Autocar

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

GTE production delays halted orders in the UK according to Autocar

Hi, yes that is correct Smiley I got my order in just in time so mine is OK. I have a VW order number and status is “at the factory and is currently being scheduled for production”.Last time I checked with VW ln an estimated build date means 8 months from date of order to delivery. Smiley

I think it would have been easier getting a Porsche GT3......Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/23/18 5:54 PM
    DaveGordon
    260593 4020
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 5:17 PM
    DaveGordon
    89759 1400
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/23/18 3:15 PM
    kudryavchik
    141394 1227
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:11 AM
    Whoopsy
    139016 2857
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    370 items found, displaying 1 to 30.