Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My "Audition" of the AWE Exhaust

X post from 6speed.

Today I was given an audition by a fellow 6speeder, "Gotboost" (thank you for the hospitality!), of his gorgeous tripple black 997TT with AWE exhaust. (Don't know what the wheels are but they are beautiful. The interior is very well optioned and gives me second thought about my beige leather.) We had the 2 cars next to each other and I was able to walk back and forth and compare the AWE exhaust to my stock. The ability to do on the spot instant AB comparison is important an interesting to me.

First a side note: Gotboost's car also has the RSS plenum and after market air filter besides the AWE exhaust. I got a brief test drive as passenger and from seat-of-pants sensation, his car seems to jump off line noticeably more vigorously than mine.

The sound of stock 997TT bothers me greatly because first, it is continuous in nature, like a vacuum cleaner, as opposed to the bubbling/rumbling of my old NA 997 C2, and second, it is not loud enough. Stock turbo sounds more like a loud 4 door sedan in other words and the non turbo car clearly has exhaust that is both louder and more muscular in nature. My personal preference is a system that is slightly louder, but not too loud. I also like a lower pitched exhaust note, versus a raspy, all out metallic scream. BTW, I am an audiophile who uses tube amp and Linn Sondek, so you might want to take my opinions with a table size grain of salt.

The GREAT news is that the all important "bubbling" is back!!! It is not quite a low frequency rumbling of a Corvette V8, but most definitely lower in pitch and louder than stock. It actually has a deliciously wet character, like bubbling water. (I am only half kidding. )

Loudness wise, the AWE is louder than stock, but not too loud. If you want to scare the neighborhood's dogs, this is not the system for you. We were able to carry out our conversation easily while driving on freeways and surface streets. It does scream when "Gotboost" got on the throttle, when the pitch became higher, but still not raspy.

Any problem with drone to me would be a deal breaker . This is the one issue I am afraid of most. It was a typical Southern Cal. afternoon so we didn't have clear freeway to test adequately. From old posts, it seems AWE is not susceptible to this.

Although I am partial to a low pitch V8 rumbling, I am also afraid of the loud thumps of some system that give me a headache. The AWE passed the "aspirin" test easily.

I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination and certainly could be wrong here, but what I hear is 3 sources of sound back there:
    1. Sound from the airbox/turbine: very boring and the source of the vacuum cleaner character.
    2. Sound directly from the engine: I would imagine this is partially responsible for the metallic component. The raspy scream at WOT.
    3. The exhaust: Where AWE strikes gold. Stock bubbles at a higher, more wimpy frequency, AND so mute that it gets drowned out by the sounds from the engine and turbine. AWE has a wet sounding , lower frequency bubbling and is louder, so you could hear it more prominently.

On the way home, I noticed how wimpy my car sounded compared to "Gotboost's." If your preference is similar to mine, I think you will LOVE this exhaust. I will listen to more systems, but what I heard today was *beautiful* sound.

(And no for this write-up Mike did not promise me free AWE tips. But I have to say, they are kinda gorgeous and make me want to cry when I look at my weird oblong stock tip.)

Re: My "Audition" of the AWE Exhaust

Can,

I know the dilemna that you face right now. I hated the stock tips initially but after having the cargraphic tips for a short bit, I realized that I liked the stock tips after all. However, a good alternative would be the tips from speedart. I think it's very elegant looking and fills out the exhaust opening quite nicely. It's a shame that theirs only works with their exhaust system.

Part of the problem that I have with most atermarket tips out is that they have a tendency to turn brown caused by the intense heat generated by the VTG turbines. I had that issue with my cargraphic tips. I had them ceramic coated black but when I got dirt burnt onto those tips, the finish was pretty much ruined. From my observations, the stock tips for some reason is the most resistant to browning.

In this picture you can clearly see that my cargraphic tips were already turning brown.

Thanks for the posting. My car will be ready tomorrow with CG loud system and IPD plenum. I am using the stock tips for now. The AWE sounds a bit like a American muscle car but I like it although I am now partial towards CG loud

OT
    Ed so the exhaust won't be ready today? I was going to try to pass by Stuggart when I got out of work this afternoon.

BTW, the above car had all works done by Stuggart. They were VERY highly recommended by the owner, a knowledgeable and experienced modder.

For my own selfish reason, I was hoping you would go for the medium Cargraphic because that is one of my choices!

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Thanks for the posting. My car will be ready tomorrow with CG loud system and IPD plenum. I am using the stock tips for now. The AWE sounds a bit like a American muscle car but I like it although I am now partial towards CG loud

Atomic 80...do you know who's aftermarket wing is on the 1st Silver TT on your post - thx

Jason, thanks. I kinda LIKE the chrome browned-out look!
    Is the main difference between Speedart and Cargraphic the diameter of the tip? I think the AWE tip looks the same as these but don't know how it compares in size.

I remember when I first read about your switching to round tip. I wondered then, but why. Now I agree certain things in life are meant to be ROUND. I actually would prefer one single round but it won't look good with this oblong cut in the bumper. So 2 will do.
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

I know the dilemna that you face right now. I hated the stock tips initially but after having the cargraphic tips for a short bit, I realized that I liked the stock tips after all. However, a good alternative would be the tips from speedart. I think it's very elegant looking and fills out the exhaust opening quite nicely. It's a shame that theirs only works with their exhaust system.

Part of the problem that I have with most atermarket tips out is that they have a tendency to turn brown caused by the intense heat generated by the VTG turbines. I had that issue with my cargraphic tips. I had them ceramic coated black but when I got dirt burnt onto those tips, the finish was pretty much ruined. From my observations, the stock tips for some reason is the most resistant to browning.

In this picture you can clearly see that my cargraphic tips were already turning brown.

Great write-up Cann. I wouldnt be surprised if after all is said & done that you go AWE. It seems like that is the sound you are after. I agree sometimes the shopping/learning part is more fun than the conclusion.

PS: On a side note my dealer called yesterday. My car is B.U.I.L.T. ! Wooooo! Wooooo!!!!!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    OT
    Ed so the exhaust won't be ready today? I was going to try to pass by Stuggart when I got out of work this afternoon.

BTW, the above car had all works done by Stuggart. They were VERY highly recommended by the owner, a knowledgeable and experienced modder.

For my own selfish reason, I was hoping you would go for the medium Cargraphic because that is one of my choices!

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Can: The car should be ready today, I don't have time to pick it up, so please call Mike

Gregg,

Congratulations! You're one step closer to getting your new baby! Maybe we can start another mile long thread all about your delivery experience just like that wheel thread!

Personally, Can, I think you're crazy if you like the brownish look. It honestly looks bad from up close. Maybe if you had a brown Turbo it'd look fine but on mine, it look really bad. It definitely looked better when I had them powdercoated black but they didn't last so I had to get them ceramic coated which turned out to be slightly greyish.

Cargraphic sells two versions, one is the 88mm oval tips that I had and the other is the 80mm circular version which IMHO was a bit too small. I liked the Speedart version the best because of the way it's designed and yes, better than the one from AWE and Fabspeed too. I need to find a close up shot to show you exactly why.

jte, that wing is from speedart also. The yellow one I think uses the OEM wing.

I'm really psyched. I'm going to Florida next weekend so by the time I come back my car shouldnt be that far away. Cant wait to get all the custom stuff I've bought on the car. From the dealer who will put on the CF trim strip, Tubi & Plenum I'll drive to this Lambo/Bentley dealer that will install my wheels then to Detailing Dynamics for film, tint, V1 hardwire, diffusers & detail. I'll do the smart-top & side markers. That's going to be the hardest part, picking the car up from the dealer only to drop it off at my film guy & then waiting another day or so before I can retrieve it. I have to think of where I'm going to go for the 1st drive, I like to take a nice few hundred mile trip to get the most important break-in time out of the way & enjoy / get to know the car. For my 997 S cab we did a CT trip this year maybe VT or something.

Stradale: You will be going crazy until you get all the mods done. Picking up the car only solves half of your problem.

To me, quad round tips just dont work as the openings in the bumper have that tear drops shape. I think the better option would be a larger version of the factory tip that I think Fabspeed was working on.

The AWE diamond black finish is absolutely gorgeous in person. In pics the finish looks blotchy but in person, completely different story.

I'd be okay with the AWE tips if only they didn't put the AWE logo on there. I haven't seen the diamond black finish in person but I'll definitely take your word for it. I still remain unconvinced that it'd be a good idea to go with larger factory tips since the OEM tips are barely pushing it as is.

I agree that I like when things look "factory". That's probably why we both got the Techart sans logo.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 3:58 PM
    Whoopsy
    89759 1399
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/23/18 3:15 PM
    kudryavchik
    141394 1227
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:11 AM
    Whoopsy
    139016 2857
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    370 items found, displaying 1 to 30.