Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman RS rumor confirmed?

From another Porsche forum: 

Stuttgart - Porsche has officially given the green light to a new lightweight Cayman model variant due to debut for the 2012 model year. The Cayman CS or "Club Sport" will be shown at the Los Angeles auto show later this year and go on sale in 2011 as a 2012 model. The CS will receive some of the same treatment given to the recent Boxster Spyder such as lighter weight components, fabric door pulls, and a uniquely styled set of lightweight wheels modeled after those on the GT2 RS. Recent press reports indicated that this new variant was shown to Sales Managers in US and Europe at recent internal Porsche meetings and given the positive response from their dealership network Porsche has chosen to move forward with production.

A number of technical items have been circulated internally among the team responsible for this variant and include the following:

333hp 3.4L engine
    Sport PASM suspension - 20mm lower than stock ride height
    A/C, stereo are optional
    162-184lbs lighter than stock Cayman S
    Aluminum doors, fabric door pulls
    Lightweight hatch, optional lexan window (europe only)
    19" unique lightweight wheels
    Sport bucket seats
    Revalved steering assist
    Locking rear differential standard
    Uprated brakes (optional)
    Restylized front fascia
    Cayman Club Sport side graphics
    Rear diffuser
    Ducktail-style larger rear spoiler (fixed)
    Club Sport Insignia badging in interior
    Optional "Track Pack", includes partial roll cage, harness and fittings plus fire extinguisher (europe only)
    Cited performance numbers - 0-62 in 4.6s
    Base Price: $66,330

Re: Cayman RS rumor confirmed?

Don't expect something radical but a special ed Cayman is definitely coming. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

2011 Porsche Cayman Club Sport...

caymanc_z.jpg

...looking forward to an awesome sports car!

Smiley SmileySmiley

RC:

Don't expect something radical but a special ed Cayman is definitely coming. 

What do you call radical? A Cayman GT3 with the 3.8 litre engine? I will buy that if Porsche ever makes it!

I agree. My dream would come true already, once they take the 3,8 l engine from the 997 S and create a mixture from Boxster Spyder and GT2 RS light weight body parts. And I even doubt that this car would jeopardize sales of the 997 S...well, it is hot today in Germany, so, I guess, I will just keep on dreaming...

Actually I was talking about the GT3 3.8 litre!

i like this car! i like the idea of a light weight cayman, much more practical than the spyder as a DD. but the only problem is by the time the car is released, the all new boxster is just around the corner. not great for depreciation. i think if porsche put this out earlier, the cayman would hv sold a lot better. inteeresting to see if this beats a c2s around the track. i reckon it will! oh, wayne, u got ur spyder yet? its july already! was it delayed?

Lother, yeah my car was delayed. The original build was meant to be April, but it became late May. Anyway it is on it's way and should be at PCM by late July. Looking forward to it!

not long to go then! the wait must be killing u... u actuaaly seem more excited abt this car then ur other exotics! just a shame its freezing cold, not exactly spyder friendly weather...do post pics once u get it!

Lightweight Porsche Cayman Club Sport rumors re-surface with specs and price...

Porsche Cayman Club Sport will shave between 162 and 184 lbs (74 to 84 kg) off the standard Cayman S...

(29 July 2010)

Porsche is working on a lightweight version of the Cayman, according to a report by Rennteam.com.

The Cayman Club Sport, or CS, will be lightened by means of aluminum doors, a lightweight hatch, lighter 19-inch wheels similar to those on the GT2 RS, and other components such as fabric door pulls - much like the work done to keep the weight down on the Boxster Spyder. All that will make the CS between 162 and 184 lbs (74 to 84 kg) lighter than a standard Cayman S.

The model will also feature a Sport PASM suspension which lowers the car by 20mm, a duck-tail rear spoiler, offer an optional Track Pack that includes a roll cage and harness, and have CS graphics dotting the car here and there.

Power will spring from a 3.4 liter, direct-injection flat 6-cylinder dialed to the 333 PS (245 kW / 328 bhp) mark, 9 PS (7 kW / 9 bhp) more than the Cayman S. The 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) sprint will take just 4.6 seconds, shaving 0.3 secs off of the standard S model's time, according to Rennteam.

According to the report, Porsche first proposed the model to US and European sales managers, who responded enthusiastically, before going ahead with plans for production.

The Cayman CS is expected to debut at the auto show in Los Angeles this November. The CS will hit dealer showrooms in 2011 as a 2012 model.

Prices for the US market will start at $66,330 (€51,015).

Porsche-Cayman-Club-Sport_WCF-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche is working on a lightweight version of the Cayman, according to a report by Rennteam.com.

0.3 secs off of the standard S model's time, according to Rennteam.

So all that is based on the rumour shared on this site , which are based on the rumour of another site Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

So all that is based on the rumour shared on this site , which are based on the rumour of another site Smiley Smiley Smiley

I didn't know we made reports Smiley

Cayman Clubsport for LA Show

Porsche to launch hardcore Cayman in November... 

(30 July 2010)

It’s the Cayman with extra bite! According to reports from America, Porsche has green lit a more focussed version of the Cayman. Set to be called the Clubsport, the newcomer will make its world debut at the LA Show in November, and will go on sale here around the same time.

The Clubsport will be based on the Cayman S. And just like the Boxster Spyder, the range-topping car will feature more power and less weight, and provide a fitting send off for the current generation car before the all-new Boxster and Cayman family arrive in late 2011.

The performance of the S’s 3.4-litre flat six engine has been uprated, with power rising from 320bhp to 328bhp, while Porsche’s PASM suspension, which drops the car by 20mm is fitted as standard. A limited slip differential, tweaked steering and uprated brakes are also included.

With the PDK transmission option, the Clubsport will sprint from 0-62mph in 4.6 seconds, 0.5 seconds faster than the standard Cayman S.

But the main focus with the Clubsport is shedding 80kgs. On the outside, the car gets 19-inch lightweight wheels, aluminium doors and a lightweight rear bonnet. Poycarbonate windows will be optional, as will a stereo and air conditioning. The Clubsport also gets a bespoke bodykit, including a revised front bumper, rear diffuser and fixed ducktail wing.

On the inside, the doors feature the same fabric pulls as fitted to the Boxster Spyder, while there are sports bucket seats and Cayman Clubsport badges aplenty. An optional Track Pack will also be available, including a rear roll car, harnesses and a fire extinguisher.

Porsche-Cayman-Club-Sport_AutoExpress-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

Gnil:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

This is really funny and reminds me my E60 review on m5board.com when the car was first released by BMW.

Autospies quoted my review as "one of our spies review the car" and put it directly on their site. Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Porsche Cayman Club Sport To Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show...

Now that the Porsche Cayman is set to receive a new generation (you can follow this link for a set of fresh spyshots of the third generation Boxster), Porsche is preparing to launch the swansong of the current incarnation of the car.

Dubbed the Club Sport (or CS), this version has been eagerly awaited, but one of the reasons that may have made Porsche hesitate is the fact that the company wants to prevent the better-balanced Cayman (a.k.a. mid-engined) from cannibalizing the 911.

According to Planet-9, the Cayman CS will make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show later in the year, with the vehicle set to enter the market next year as a 2012 model.

The CS badge will bring a list of modifications similar to those received by the Boxster Spyder, such as extreme weigh-reducing measures and a new set of lightweight alloy rims.

The aforementioned source also offers a set of specs, apparently coming from a Porsche insider.

It seems like the CS will be powered by a 3.4-litre engine developing 333hp and that will send its power to the rear axle (19 inch unique rims to be found here) via a limited slip differential.

The vehicle will go on a serious diet (including optional lexan windows, a light hatch, the A/C and sound systems marketed as optionals, aluminum doors with fabric door handles and others), which will make it 162-184 lbs (73-83 kg) lighter than the standard Cayman.

The top Cayman will also come with a redesigned front fascia, a rear diffuser and a ducktail-style generous rear spoiler. The optional extras list includes goodies like a Track Pack (partial roll cage, harness and others) and beefier brakes.

The Cayman Club Sport is expected to reach 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.6 seconds. The price for all the fun? Around $66,000.

Porsche-Cayman-Clubsport_AutoEvolution-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The only Cayman that would make sense!

Someone at autojunk.nl seems to have caught a Cayman Clubsport during a shooting in Barcelona.

Here is the link : http://www.autojunk.nl/2010/08/porsche-cayman-s-mkii-clubsport

Regards

Porsche Cayman spy pics from autojunk...

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Let's hope for a few interesting colours in the Cayman Club Sport option list...

...maybe a Porsche Cayman Club Sport in Riviera Blue?

Smiley SmileySmiley

choupaps:

Someone at autojunk.nl seems to have caught a Cayman Clubsport during a shooting in Barcelona.

Here is the link : http://www.autojunk.nl/2010/08/porsche-cayman-s-mkii-clubsport

Regards

Don't those pictures simply show a Cayman S with optional Aerokit and Boxster Spyder wheels?  I don't see anything that makes me think it's a Clubsport (of course, it could be a mule in disguise).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    choupaps:

Regards

Don't those pictures simply show a Cayman S with optional Aerokit and Boxster Spyder wheels?  I don't see anything that makes me think it's a Clubsport (of course, it could be a mule in disguise).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

I had exactly the same thoughts...
    Seems to me that the Cayman CS is just an internet hype of one forum quoting the next, and then some. Wouldn't we have seen mules for ages now if the CS was to come out?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    Grant:
    choupaps:

Regards

--

I had exactly the same thoughts...
    Seems to me that the Cayman CS is just an internet hype of one forum quoting the next, and then some. Wouldn't we have seen mules for ages now if the CS was to come out?

Good point Joost -- it's about time Porsche provided some new spy pics of the 2011 Porsche Cayman Club Sport, before it launches at the LA Motor Show in November!!!

12809900643242010-Porsche-Cayman-RS.jpg

...some suggestions that the new Porsche Cayman Club Sport could be launched as the "Cayman R" at the LA Motor Show...

Smiley SmileySmiley

This will be a disappointment. Why not AT LEAST change the bumpers.. Give it the new Boxster sport bumpers please...

cs.jpg

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

If the rumors are true there probably isn't much that will visually distinguish the "Cayman R" (latest internet moniker) from any other Cayman w/ an aerokit.  Supposedly the hatch will be lightened, a good thing if true, and the rest you can imagine from the Boxster Spyder such as wheels, seats, door pulls, aluminum, etc.  Here in my corner of South Florida the Spyder has predictably not sold well due to our unpredictable downpours and the manual top.  Braman has a white version that has been sitting for some time.  Perhaps the Cayman R, CS, or whatever will have a broader appeal to track oriented owners here in South Florida. 

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

2011 Porsche Cayman Club Sport components and inspiration...

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 01.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 02.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 03.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 04.jpg

Porsche Cayman Aerokit includes spoiler above ducktail...

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 05.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 06.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Aerokit 07.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Exhaust 05.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Exhaust Sports Design.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Exhaust.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Interior-1.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Interior-2.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - PDK Paddles 11.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Interior-3.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Engine.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Engine DFI Injectors.jpg

Porsche 3.4-liter flat-six boxer engine with DFI...

1281279263676Porsche Cayman Club Sport - PDK Gearbox.jpg

7-Speed PDK Transmission with Paddle-Shift...

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Seat.jpg

Porsche Cayman Club Sport - Wheel 19%22 design.jpg

19-inch Spyder wheel and other components provided by Boxster Spyder...

Porsche Boxster Spyder...

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 01.jpg

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 02.jpg

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 03.jpg

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 04.jpg

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 05.jpg

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 06.jpg

...now how about some awesome new spy pics from Porsche of the Cayman Club Sport?

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

I'm not sure why there would be spy pics... this special edition would barely need road-tested as it is mainly parts-bin engineering.  They could "test" the looks in any corner of the Porsche factory, then simply release the car. 

--

2010 Audi S5,  2002 M Coupe

...looking forward to the launch of the new Porsche Cayman Club Sport / Cayman RS / Cayman GTS / Cayman Spyder at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show...

"British Columbia by Boxster Spyder..."

(17 September 2010)

Breathtaking views. Seaplanes. Modern architecture. Historic Gastown. Body art. And, strangely, the most Dodge Vipers you’ve ever seen in one city. It’s got to be Vancouver.

There’s also a 2011 Boxster Spyder waiting for us in the hotel parking garage.

Our plan: Drive the Spyder to Kelowna, British Columbia to visit our old friend — 12 Hours of Sebring winner and factory Le Mans 961 driver Kees Nierop — in his hometown.

Of course, we took the long way, heading for Whistler first then back towards Kelowna via Kamloops. Note #1: The Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler may be the prettiest freeway on earth. Note #2: Skip Whistler and keep going, for ahead lies one of the greatest two-lane roads we’ve encountered in a long time, with scenery that makes Yosemite and Yellowstone feel small. Note #3: The road after Lilooet is a lot less interesting, resembling nothing if not a high arctic desert. It’s still beautiful in a life-size HO trainscape kind of way, but, if you’re not heading to Kelowna to see Kees, turn around at Lilooet. Note #4: There’s a reason they call Kees’ hometown “Kelownafornia” — because this lakeside town is big on boating, watersports, and wine-making.

There are also some great roads, which Kees was all too happy to show us...

Boxster-Spyder-drive_Exce11ence-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

...Porsche Cayman Club Sport in final testing?

Cayman-Club-Sport_Testing-01.jpg

Cayman-Club-Sport_Testing-03.jpg

Porsche-Cayman-Club-Sport-in-Testing_PH-Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2011 Porsche Cayman Club Sport...

2011-Porsche-Cayman-Clubsport.jpg

...awesome photoshop -- can't wait to see the real Porsche Cayman Club Sport!

Smiley SmileySmiley Smiley Smiley

Porsche Cayman Clubsport: Rumored for LA Auto Show...

The Paris Auto Show is just behind us, but already the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show is drawing near. Press days start in less than six weeks, and the leakage has begun, with the Porshe Cayman Clubsport rumored to make its appearance at the show.

We've heard rumors of the car since early last year, with a resurgence in the idea this summer. But to date, nothing has come of the talk. So what will the Cayman Clubsport be? Just about what it sounds like: a stripped down, track-enthusiast's Cayman, a sort of 911 GT3 "lite," or more simply, a hard-top version of the Boxster Spyder.

Specifics, which come from ostensibly leaked info via the Team Speed forums, include a 333-horsepower 3.4-liter flat six, weight savings between 162 and 184 pounds off the standard Cayman S, fabric door pulls, tweaked steering, more effective aero bits, and a "track pack" option that includes a partial roll cage, plus harnesses and a fire extinguisher.

The only performance figure in the leaked info is a 0-62 mph time of 4.6 seconds, about three tenths quicker than a Cayman S. The real performance measure won't be so much in a straight line, however, but in its improved ability to brake later and fly through the corners thanks to the lower weight.

Track enthusiasts, warm up your checkbooks and prime your pens. If the Cayman Clubsport does make an L.A. debut, it will likely be on sale shortly after, in very limited volumes. 

Porsche Cayman Clubsport Rumored for LA Auto Show - Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 12:07 PM
    bluelines
    89759 1389
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/21/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    141394 1220
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:11 AM
    Whoopsy
    139016 2857
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    371 items found, displaying 1 to 30.