Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo Power Figure - AMS

German car magazine Auto, Motor und Sport claims in their latest issue (today) that the 997 Turbo gets 480 HP.
    It seems that our "first" power figure for the 997 Turbo has been confirmed now. I can't say I'm very happy and I still hope Porsche reconsiders but I think we should all start to get used to 480 HP. Stupid thing to do in my opinion but at least I hope that the 997 Turbo has THE performance I heard lots of rumours about. 480 HP on the paper only...doesn't make much sense to me but let's hope that the new VGT technology is good for superior performance figures too, despite the 480 HP power claim.

Re: 997 Turbo Power Figure - AMS

RC, Turbolite just posted it in the "Porsche, do you listen?" topic.

to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if 480 is in fact JUST on paper, and it has more, but they want to save a big "5" for something more special. powerkit, limited edition, something....should have been 500 for the turbo, and 540 for the GT2/x50.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:

Sorry, I overlooked it. But it may be a good thing if this starts a new thread, the "do you listen" thread is already too long.

That's good enough for me. That way the turbo's price will stay in the 996TT's price range (let's hope not more than 150k)

Thanks for the news.

Thanks RC . May be with X50 package it'll be 508 .

it seems that Porsche doesn't listen us too much..

ok..i will stay with the Gt3...

if it is REALLY around 415 HP..

ciaoo

It will be the heaviest Turbo ever.

If the 997TT is not faster than the 996TT and the 993TT, maybe the concept has reached the point of diminishing value and has degenerated into a marketing device. To maintain the Turbo name without the performance superiority would be sad to see.

Audi announced its new R Coupe will have 600 something hp, be under 130K USD and close in weight. So essentially the Audi R will be a Super Fast Gallardo.

WTF buy a Porsche 997TT if its slower and costs more???

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:

Sorry, I overlooked it. But it may be a good thing if this starts a new thread, the "do you listen" thread is already too long.

... and I posted it before Turolite.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

If the 997TT is not faster than the 996TT and the 993TT, maybe the concept has reached the point of diminishing value and has degenerated into a marketing device. To maintain the Turbo name without the performance superiority would be sad to see.

Audi announced its new R Coupe will have 600 something hp, be under 130K USD and close in weight. So essentially the Audi R will be a Super Fast Gallardo.

I wanted to buy a TTS. And if this information is true and the performance is not on par with the new Z06, I might just go to its now "sister" company Audi and order an R8. I cannot believe Porsche can be so ignorant...

The idiots at Porsche have their heads up their asses, why would they make the Turbo slower than a 65k corvette. Absolutely ignorant fools.

What difference does it make? They will sell everyone they make for at least 2-3 years. Only the very hardcore have concerns whether the hp is 450, 480 or 500. The general public could care less. What is important to them is they are buying a Porsche Turbo.

With the exception of Carlos's 997S, when is the last time anyone has seen NBR times posted on a Porsche?

BTW for the hardcore you will be able to order a powerkit for some ungodly sum of money and never see one dime in return on resale.

Quote:
    RC said:
    German car magazine Auto, Motor und Sport claims in their latest issue (today) that the 997 Turbo gets 480 HP.
    It seems that our "first" power figure for the 997 Turbo has been confirmed now. I can't say I'm very happy and I still hope Porsche reconsiders but I think we should all start to get used to 480 HP. Stupid thing to do in my opinion but at least I hope that the 997 Turbo has THE performance I heard lots of rumours about. 480 HP on the paper only...doesn't make much sense to me but let's hope that the new VGT technology is good for superior performance figures too, despite the 480 HP power claim.

If that was confirmed I would not buy it but wait for the TTS. Sorry Porsche, not enough

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Only the very hardcore have concerns whether the hp is 450, 480 or 500. The general public could care less. What is important to them is they are buying a Porsche Turbo.

BTW for the hardcore you will be able to order a powerkit for some ungodly sum of money and never see one dime in return on resale.

1st statement is 100% true as I posted on the Porsche do you listen? thread.
    Yes, we are the guys with the knowledge, yes we know a lot about Porsche, yes we love power (And NO, most of us actually don't know how to use that power ) but again, we represent an infinitesimal part of Porsche's costumers. C'est la vie.

About the second statement, I totally disagree Nick. Of course I would, I'm getting one!
    Seriously, it's about finding the right costumer, it will be harder, but say, 6 years down the line, if I found the one guy who's looking for a 997S powerkit with PCCB then I can sell it to him more than the base price. You usually find those guys amongst Porsche clubs.

If Turbo gets 480hp, then indeed, 508 to 520 sounds reasonnable, I'm satisfied.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Only the very hardcore have concerns whether the hp is 450, 480 or 500. The general public could care less. What is important to them is they are buying a Porsche Turbo.

1st statement is 100% true as I posted on the Porsche do you listen? thread.
    Yes, we are the guys with the knowledge, yes we know a lot about Porsche, yes we love power (And NO, most of us actually don't know how to use that power ) but again, we represent an infinitesimal part of Porsche's costumers. C'est la vie.

About the second statement, I totally disagree Nick. Of course I would, I'm getting one!
    Seriously, it's about finding the right costumer, it will be harder, but say, 6 years down the line, if I found the one guy who's looking for a 997S powerkit with PCCB then I can sell it to him more than the base price. You usually find those guys amongst Porsche clubs.

If Turbo gets 480hp, then indeed, 508 to 520 sounds reasonnable, I'm satisfied.

I would rather say Powerkit+PCCB+20mm sport suspension.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim, the 997 Turbo will be faster than the 996 Turbo S, this is the only thing I know for sure. Everything else remains to be seen...I still hope for the best.

I never thought that I would be saying that I'm disappointed with 480hp, but I am.
    I really hope it's 480hp on paper only. I'll have to wait to see it and get some feedback on how it drives before making any final judgements.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim, the 997 Turbo will be faster than the 996 Turbo S, this is the only thing I know for sure. Everything else remains to be seen...I still hope for the best.

So it is safe to assume that the car will be faster than an F430 or a Gallardo. What about the Corvette Z06 and the M6? These two cars are extremely fast and it would be very embarrassing for Porsche. The Turbo is what symbolizes the might of the 911 and if it can't beat the competition when it's the newest of the bunch, then Nick may be right...

Hi Crash,

For the four cars that you mentioned, the fastest is the Z06, followed by Gallardo, then F430, and the slowest is M6 by a distance. I think the 997TT is just behind the Z06, and I think even my underpowered 997S can bet the M6...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

So it is safe to assume that the car will be faster than an F430 or a Gallardo. What about the Corvette Z06 and the M6? These two cars are extremely fast and it would be very embarrassing for Porsche. The Turbo is what symbolizes the might of the 911 and if it can't beat the competition when it's the newest of the bunch, then Nick may be right...

You can exclude the M6 from your list. We recently did a comparison of the M6 with the 996TTS and the 996TTS was quicker above 240-250kph. On the other hand it would be nice to be faster below 240kh as well...

Peak HP is not everything. Perhaps the VTG techlology will make the 480 hp availible over a wide enough rev. range so you can accellerate through the gears with a (near) constant 480 hp between the shifts.
    That would make a huge improvement in acceleration time.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

You can exclude the M6 from your list. We recently did a comparison of the M6 with the 996TTS and the 996TTS was quicker above 240-250kph. On the other hand it would be nice to be faster below 240kh as well...

That's good to hear. So you think the M6 press cars were "ringers"?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Not necessarily. The tests I know only include 0-200 times. And in that speed range the M6 and the 996TTS deliver the same acceleration. It is only at higher speeds that the TTS is faster.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Not necessarily. The tests I know only include 0-200 times. And in that speed range the M6 and the 996TTS deliver the same acceleration. It is only at higher speeds that the TTS is faster.

That's very good to know.

We all knew that Porsche will most likely succeed in creating a car which will be fast enough to "beat" the competition - if not in a straight line than around a track, if not on a track than going backwards on snow or whatever stupid measure the marketing people will invent.

But at the same time - old story - they left enough room to lure us into buying a power kit for another 15 grand just to get the 5xx hp on paper which we all so much want.

OAB

Quote:
    OAB said:
    We all knew that Porsche will most likely succeed in creating a car which will be fast enough to "beat" the competition - if not in a straight line than around a track, if not on a track than going backwards on snow or whatever stupid measure the marketing people will invent.

But at the same time - old story - they left enough room to lure us into buying a power kit for another 15 grand just to get the 5xx hp on paper which we all so much want.

OAB

You know what to tell them then about there power kit .. A works Union ( customers ) is only as strong as its workers . In other words everyone should stick together and tell them to poke it ..

But P knows theres loads of suckers out there wallking around with bulging underpants that are well ready for the exploitable treatment , the P customer loves it and they know it..

They hold the cards only the buyer can change it..

throt...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 10:02 AM
    throt
    89759 1386
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/21/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    141394 1220
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:11 AM
    Whoopsy
    139016 2857
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    371 items found, displaying 1 to 30.