Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Has anyone tried putting an after market stereo in a 987? In particular, does anyone have any pictures of it? I'm real curious whether one can do a halfway decent job of making it look integrated at all. The after market double DIN nav systems have much better features then PCMII so i'm debating on whether to order a 987 with or without stereo.

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    I would go the aftermarket route...but thats just me

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Quote:
    Yrrk said:
    Has anyone tried putting an after market stereo in a 987? In particular, does anyone have any pictures of it? I'm real curious whether one can do a halfway decent job of making it look integrated at all. The after market double DIN nav systems have much better features then PCMII so i'm debating on whether to order a 987 with or without stereo.



    I contemplated going aftermarket when I got the vehicle (Alpine F1 Status, McIntosh Amplification, and Focal Utopia Be Speakers) but it wasn't worth it to me. The amount of labor my dealer had to go through just to MATCH the color of the center console would have been over $1,500. Add all the components and that's well over 10K and I thought it wasn't worth it especially since after I started driving and listening to the exhaust, there isn't anything better. The Bose system that my dealer threw in is doing an adequate job for those days where the top has to be up (sounds more refined, as with any sound system with the top up) - and is more then adequate for those days when you can turn it up to "+40" with the top down.

    IMO it isn't worth to upgrade the stereo system in a Boxster other than getting a CD changer. Would you take your 987 somewhere you weren't familiar with? I wouldn't, which is why I ruled out the NAV.

    Save the $ for a 911....

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Think more and more people are shying away from the aftermarket route due to concerns with causing problems with the MOST system. I definitely did - I've a nice top of the range Alpine HU with iPod control et al sat in the garage now, waiting for either the next car, or a sale on ebay.....

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Think more and more people are shying away from the aftermarket route due to concerns with causing problems with the MOST system. I definitely did - I've a nice top of the range Alpine HU with iPod control et al sat in the garage now, waiting for either the next car, or a sale on ebay.....



    I agree. I forgot to mention that in my previous post - working around the MOST bus is a bitch - just bring any fiber-optic wired vehicle into the shop (like Mercedes) and watch the installers cringe at the thought of having to deal with a system like it.

    I think I'm just going to put in a CD Changer out front..

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    I find the Bose system in my 987 absolutely fine. Best sound system I've had in any car. Nearly as good as the engine.

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    DSo you know how much did they charge me to add a CD changer? US$2000
    I saw one on Ebay, 699, it didn't say will fit the bose or not.

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Quote:
    CS said:
    DSo you know how much did they charge me to add a CD changer? US$2000
    I saw one on Ebay, 699, it didn't say will fit the bose or not.



    Definitely don't do it at the dealer - go to your custom audio shop, it should run you less than a grand (an Alpine changer would do it) including labor....Porsche dealers rip the sh!t out of you...no surprise here...

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    tried several, they said they can't do it. I need to go back to the dealer.

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    My biggest complaint isn't the sound but the NAV. I actually do anticipate going a lot of places i've never been - exploring with the boxster. Road trips! So relatively minor features like touch-screen, voice control, and size of the display screen all appeal to me which PCMII lacks. And of course we all dream about ipod and bluetooth..

    btw, I assume the changer doesn't do mp3 cd's does it? Just the main deck?

    Oh well i'll probably just go the PCMII route.

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Quote:
    Yrrk said:
    My biggest complaint isn't the sound but the NAV. I actually do anticipate going a lot of places i've never been - exploring with the boxster. Road trips! So relatively minor features like touch-screen, voice control, and size of the display screen all appeal to me which PCMII lacks. And of course we all dream about ipod and bluetooth..

    btw, I assume the changer doesn't do mp3 cd's does it? Just the main deck?

    Oh well i'll probably just go the PCMII route.



    Not sure if the Porsche OEM changer reads MP3's - other manufacturers units do....and the deck does not read MP3 CD's....I have a '06 987S...

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    Quote:
    Yrrk said:
    btw, I assume the changer doesn't do mp3 cd's does it? Just the main deck?



    Correct.

    A solution

    Probaly the most painless (but not inexpensive) method of improving on these systems is going with a Reus Systems setup. I've heard they have one ready for the 997 so one for the 987 should be along sooner or later. For those who aren't familiar, Reus designs each system specifically for each vehicle (their 986 system put a sub in the spare tire and routed the sound through the hole where the steering rack entered the cabin). It's all stealth and easily removable if you sell/lease is up. They build their own amps and drivers and by all acounts on other boards, the sound has to be heard to be believed - the equal to or better than ajacastaneda's setup. Owners say the imaging and detail are stellar. I've been researching and it looks like a winner to me. They are in SoCal but do a lot of installs in the NY area and, if you pay, they will fly an installer to you wherever you are. www.reusaudio.com

    Re: A solution

    Quote:
    tankertoad said:
    Probaly the most painless (but not inexpensive) method of improving on these systems is going with a Reus Systems setup. I've heard they have one ready for the 997 so one for the 987 should be along sooner or later. For those who aren't familiar, Reus designs each system specifically for each vehicle (their 986 system put a sub in the spare tire and routed the sound through the hole where the steering rack entered the cabin). It's all stealth and easily removable if you sell/lease is up. They build their own amps and drivers and by all acounts on other boards, the sound has to be heard to be believed - the equal to or better than ajacastaneda's setup. Owners say the imaging and detail are stellar. I've been researching and it looks like a winner to me. They are in SoCal but do a lot of installs in the NY area and, if you pay, they will fly an installer to you wherever you are. www.reusaudio.com



    Very interesting indeed, I will contact them and get more information.

    Thanks!

    Re: 987 After Market Stereo/NAV Photos?

    I'll take the sound of the engine over a stereo any day. The only complaint I have is when I'm stuck in traffic and I find my wife has some girly crap in the cd player. Pain in the butt to inch forward in traffic and change the cd at the same time. The changer is now high on my list.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 4:28 AM
    absent
    89759 1384
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/21/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    141394 1220
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:11 AM
    Whoopsy
    139016 2857
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    371 items found, displaying 1 to 30.