Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Paddle Steering Wheel Retrofitted

Gnil:

I have my new steering wheel and it looks great. A big improvement in looks, that is for sure.

The new steering wheel is thicker then the regular one ( exactly like the sports steering wheel from the 997.1 version )

I do find the paddles a bit too close to the steering wheel as the tip of my fingers get caught between the paddles and the wheel. Not very nice, but I'll get used to it and find a way around it.

The paddles are deffinitly much more natural to use and don't feel so artificial as the buttons. I do use them much more and do not have to think how to use them, which was not the case witht he buttons at the beginning.

Reginos : do you have anything that comes on the new steering display ? ( On mine it does not write the mode ( sports ) Is that normal or did they not do a proper job ? ( it s not that I like or need this unnessery display, but would still like to know... )

I'm glad you like it more than the standard one. Isn't it pleasing to be able to put your thumbs properly and get your fingers in place now that the buttons are not on the way?

On your MY 09 car the steering display (left spoke) should show Sport and Sport Plus in parallel with the OBC display. They have to code it for that. On MY 10 cars the Launch Control display comes on too. However, there is a wheel for cars without Sport Chrono that doesn't have the display. Which one was ordered? Can you see the words inside the spokes even unlit?

Not that these displays serve any purpose on our cars. Just the new cars (MY 2011) won't have the OBC display so the steering wheel display will be the only one.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Just to add on 997.2 Turbo with PDK with Sport Chrono Turbo you always get steering display only(not signs on OBC):

-Sport, Sport Plus and LC on small "screen" above airbag module on standard buttons steering wheel

-Sport and Sport Plus on left spoke, LC or right spoke on optional Paddles steering wheel

KresoF1:

Just to add on 997.2 Turbo with PDK with Sport Chrono Turbo you always get steering display only(not signs on OBC):

-Sport, Sport Plus and LC on small "screen" above airbag module on standard buttons steering wheel

-Sport and Sport Plus on left spoke, LC or right spoke on optional Paddles steering wheel

Yes, the same system will be adopted by the Carrera models as from MY2011.

--

Gnil:

Reginos : do you have anything that comes on the new steering display ? ( On mine it does not write the mode ( sports ) Is that normal or did they not do a proper job ? ( it s not that I like or need this unnessery display, but would still like to know... )

There are 2 part numbers. One for cars with Sports Chrono and another for cars without it.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

reginos:
    Not that these displays serve any purpose on our cars. Just the new cars (MY 2011) won't have the OBC display so the steering wheel display will be the only one.

Are you saying that the redundant +-buttons PDK steering wheel will go away and forever replaced by the flappy-paddle wheel from MY11 on? For some reason I doubt that. Thus, if the std Porsche redundant buttons wheel continues, the OBC display will still be required.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

ADias:
    reginos:

Are you saying that the redundant +-buttons PDK steering wheel will go away and forever replaced by the flappy-paddle wheel from MY11 on? For some reason I doubt that. Thus, if the std Porsche redundant buttons wheel continues, the OBC display will still be required.

There will be a display incorporated at the top of the steering wheel. Already used for the Turbo.

--

Sorry picture not very clear but you can see the new display.

pdkwheel.jpg

--

Gnil:

I do find the paddles a bit too close to the steering wheel as the tip of my fingers get caught between the paddles and the wheel. Not very nice, but I'll get used to it and find a way around it.

Gnil, if you got used to the puddles, you will definitely get used to the paddles. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

reginos:

Can you see the words inside the spokes even unlit?

No, I can't . They must off ordered the wrong steering wheel !!! I guess I'll save about 10 gr of weight by sticking with this one Smiley

I am taking so much more pleasure in changing gears now !!!! Pressing on a plastic button did not do it for me, unless I was in sports ( plus ) mode on a track or doing some very spirited driving on twisty roads.

No 2 more thing that are not great with the paddles :

- it is too busy and clustered behind the steering wheel ( blinkers, cruise control, board computer etc...) I  they just squeezed the paddles in and did not rethink or redesign the other functions that are behind the wheel. I am sure they will do it on the next generation.

- the paddle need to be on the steering column !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they could not do it on this model, but please, do that in the future models !!!!!  One needs to have the paddles always at the same place, not move around. Just in day to day driving, when for example the engine is cold and you enter a round about in 1rst gear, you need to change gear at 3000 rpm ....but you can not find the paddles, they are upside down. And they are many other situations where that happens in town !!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Rossi:

Gnil, if you got used to the puddles, you will definitely get used to the paddles. Smiley

Smiley

It took me about 6 month to get used to the puddles Smiley  It took me about 5 min to get used to the paddles in the Ferrari Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

No 2 more thing that are not great with the paddles :

- it is too busy and clustered behind the steering wheel ( blinkers, cruise control, board computer etc...) I  they just squeezed the paddles in and did not rethink or redesign the other functions that are behind the wheel. I am sure they will do it on the next generation.

The paddle wheel was obviously an afterthought and they couldn't redesign the whole steering column to make it that bit more ergonomic. If they did that retrofit wouldn't be possible anyway.

However, even the present solution is better than leaving it as it was and having to wait for the next model.

--

Gnil:

I am taking so much more pleasure in changing gears now !!!! Pressing on a plastic button did not do it for me, unless I was in sports ( plus ) mode on a track or doing some very spirited driving on twisty roads.

Congrats EricSmiley

I'm not going to say I told you soSmiley

Post some pics when you can....

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Gnil:
    Rossi:

Smiley

It took me about 6 month to get used to the puddles Smiley  It took me about 5 min to get used to the paddles in the Ferrari Smiley

I might be wrong but the size of the Ferrari steering wheel and the number of steering turns from lock to lock (from one extreme to the other), suit the static paddles on the column. That design wouldn't fit the Porsche set up, I think and it might be worse than the moving paddles.

When I drove the F430 I didn't have the PDK car to compare and I'm no Ferrari expert but this is my impression.

--

Pretty good post reginos.

Ferrari 458 has only 2 turns from lock to lock. So, paddles on sttering column are almost a must here.

997.2 PDK models new optional paddles steering wheel is IMHO an excellent design. I would not order 997.2 Turbo PDK without it. There is a reason why paddles steering wheel is standard on 997.2 Turbo S.

reginos:

The paddle wheel was obviously an afterthought and they couldn't redesign the whole steering column to make it that bit more ergonomic. If they did that retrofit wouldn't be possible anyway.

However, even the present solution is better than leaving it as it was and having to wait for the next model.

Of course.... That's why I'm saying it will be done probably differently in the next generation.

And , yes, it is a huge improvement , and an acceptable solution, compared to the plastic buttons

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

reginos:
    I might be wrong but the size of the Ferrari steering wheel and the number of steering turns from lock to lock (from one extreme to the other), suit the static paddles on the column. That design wouldn't fit the Porsche set up, I think and it might be worse than the moving paddles.

KresoF1:

Ferrari 458 has only 2 turns from lock to lock. So, paddles on sttering column are almost a must here.

Why would a shorter number of steering turns be better with  static paddles on the column ?

It is the opposite, the shorter the number of turns , the more you can have on the steering wheel .

The more turns, the more you need to have them static on the column in order not to ' loose' the paddles when you turn.

Here is another example : You are at a stop, you want to go left, or right. Your engine is cold, so you need to change gear before 3000 rmp. When you start in first, before you are back in a straight line, you need to change gear. At that moment your steering wheel is upside down and you can not find the paddles ( when attached to the steering wheel ). If they would be on the column, you have no problems.

( this is real life experience, Reginos...try it )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yes, I have a corner like that right after I exit the garage so the engine is always cold.

And I believe in such situation the paddles should be in a fixed position.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Gnil:
    reginos:

KresoF1:

Why would a shorter number of steering turns be better with  static paddles on the column ?

It is the opposite, the shorter the number of turns , the more you can have on the steering wheel .

The more turns, the more you need to have them static on the column in order not to ' loose' the paddles when you turn.

Let me try to explain what I mean, as much as I can. With fixed paddles the further your hands move from the horizontal plane (9 o'clock and 3 o'clock) the further they move from the paddles. For example if you hands are at the 12 and 6 positions they are away from the fixed paddles.

Now in the case of Ferrari the turns from one extreme of the steering to the other are only 2 meaning that for any given movement/angle of the wheels you need to turn the steering wheel less than in a Porsche. This helps in that, in the large majority of cases the hands don't have to move as much away from the horizontal as in the case of the higher geared Porsche steering, and therefore the driver can reach the longer fixed paddles of Ferrari in most cases. On top of that, the Ferrari steering wheel is smaller in diameter which reduces further the necessary movements. For these reasons I (only) envisage that the Ferrari set up wouldn't suit the Porsche ergonomics and the gearing of its steering.

want to go left, or right. Your engine is cold, so you need to change gear before 3000 rmp. When you start in first, before you are back in a straight line, you need to change gear. At that moment your steering wheel is upside down and you can not find the paddles ( when attached to the steering wheel ). If they would be on the column, you have no problems.

I see what you mean. In this scenario, cold engine, first few kilometers, I would leave it in D Normal and be safe from over-revving the engine. But if  for any reason I needed to be in Manual mode, there is always the stick, that the other cars don't have.

--

Gnil:

Here is another example : You are at a stop, you want to go left, or right. Your engine is cold, so you need to change gear before 3000 rmp. When you start in first, before you are back in a straight line, you need to change gear. At that moment your steering wheel is upside down and you can not find the paddles ( when attached to the steering wheel ). If they would be on the column, you have no problems.

And here is another one:  we are not all perfect drivers - sometimes we underestimate how tight a turn is, and have not downshifted into a low enough gear as we start the turn.. as the engine bogs, the steering wheel is already halfway around and your hands have already moved on the wheel.   In a manual car you would just hold the wheel with your left hand and grab the correct lower gear with your right... in a sequential once again the rotating paddles are lost and the fixed paddle can easily be found.

I agree though that without tight turns like this, fixed vs. rotating hardly matters. 

Completely off this particular discussion:   does anyone know if the Cayman/Boxster line can also be retrofitted with the Reginos wheel?  (Note: I vote that this now become an official PAG name   Smiley )

--

2010 Audi S5,  2002 M Coupe

4trac: 

And here is another one:  we are not all perfect drivers - sometimes we underestimate how tight a turn is, and have not downshifted into a low enough gear as we start the turn.. as the engine bogs, the steering wheel is already halfway around and your hands have already moved on the wheel.   In a manual car you would just hold the wheel with your left hand and grab the correct lower gear with your right... in a sequential once again the rotating paddles are lost and the fixed paddle can easily be found.

I agree though that without tight turns like this, fixed vs. rotating hardly matters. 

The additional possibility of changing with the stick  is useful in some driving situations like the above

Completely off this particular discussion:   does anyone know if the Cayman/Boxster line can also be retrofitted with the Reginos wheel?  (Note: I vote that this now become an official PAG name   Smiley )

It is an option on new cars already and it can be retrofitted to 2009 onwards. I was told that they are also preparing a retrofit for Tiptronics but I'm not sure it's valid.

--

reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:

KresoF1:

Let me try to explain what I mean, as much as I can. With fixed paddles the further your hands move from the horizontal plane (9 o'clock and 3 o'clock) the further they move from the paddles. For example if you hands are at the 12 and 6 positions they are away from the fixed paddles.

Now in the case of Ferrari the turns from one extreme of the steering to the other are only 2 meaning that for any given movement/angle of the wheels you need to turn the steering wheel less than in a Porsche. This helps in that, in the large majority of cases the hands don't have to move as much away from the horizontal as in the case of the higher geared Porsche steering, and therefore the driver can reach the longer fixed paddles of Ferrari in most cases. On top of that, the Ferrari steering wheel is smaller in diameter which reduces further the necessary movements. For these reasons I (only) envisage that the Ferrari set up wouldn't suit the Porsche ergonomics and the gearing of its steering.

want to go left, or right. Your engine is cold, so you need to change gear before 3000 rmp. When you start in first, before you are back in a straight line, you need to change gear. At that moment your steering wheel is upside down and you can not find the paddles ( when attached to the steering wheel ). If they would be on the column, you have no problems.

I see what you mean. In this scenario, cold engine, first few kilometers, I would leave it in D Normal and be safe from over-revving the engine. But if  for any reason I needed to be in Manual mode, there is always the stick, that the other cars don't have.

Ok, I see what you mean. It makes sence too.   Both styles have arguments for and against it.

Over here in the long winter month my engine is cold for a long time and very often, so that  would oblige me to drive in D mode most of the time.. So all considering , if I would have the choice, I would install fixed paddles. I also suspect it would bring a subjectif positif ' race' feeling ( just like the paddles bring compared tot he buttons )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Over here in the long winter month my engine is cold for a long time

it's perhaps, the only problem we don't have Smiley

--

Btw, I talked to my garage about my new wheel not having the sports chrono display. They told me for  MY09 cars, the wheel does not have the display, as the electric cables are not there. It is only for the MY10 cars ...

Now your car Reginos is a MY09 ...did your garage add all the electric wire ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Btw, I talked to my garage about my new wheel not having the sports chrono display. They told me for  MY09 cars, the wheel does not have the display, as the electric cables are not there. It is only for the MY10 cars ...

Now your car Reginos is a MY09 ...did your garage add all the electric wire ?

No, not at all. Very simple job of taking the old out and putting the new one. The rest was programming.

However, if you use a wheel with display on a MY09 car, the left display lights up (sport, sport plus) but the right display (launch control) does not. On MY10 cars all displays function.

So, perhaps your P Centre, instead of fitting a wheel whose display doesn't function 100%, they preferred to install the simpler one. No big issue IMO since you get the info on the OBC.

--

Congratulations reginos, looks fantastic. I am sure the real aluminium paddles feel great. I know when I retro-fitted the aluminium / leather gear lever and handbrake on my Boxster how much more tactile it felt. Gave the whole cockpit a much more upmarket feel.

A real shame that the wheel spokes are the usual cheap painted plastic though. Hopefully now Porsche are part of the VW group they will learn from Audi how to do proper quality interiors!   

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:

Congratulations reginos, looks fantastic. I am sure the real aluminium paddles feel great. I know when I retro-fitted the aluminium / leather gear lever and handbrake on my Boxster how much more tactile it felt. Gave the whole cockpit a much more upmarket feel.

A real shame that the wheel spokes are the usual cheap painted plastic though. Hopefully now Porsche are part of the VW group they will learn from Audi how to do proper quality interiors!   

I'm glad you like it. The paddles are made of alloy but also the spokes are not painted. They are galvanized with some sort of material that feels and looks better than paint.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 2:40 AM
    Leawood911
    89759 1383
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/21/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    141394 1220
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/23/18 4:00 AM
    noone1
    139016 2856
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    371 items found, displaying 1 to 30.