Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is Ferrari morphing into Porsche?

About two years or so ago, a top executive of Ferrari during an interview identified Porsche as THE car company who is on "top of their game". His admiration for Porsche was clear and envious. That should have been a red flag for all us Ferrari owners.

Since then, Ferrari has introduced models that are beginning to resemble one another despite price differences. The 599 looks like the 612. The Scud closely resembles the 430. The California GT a cheaper version of a Ferrari (Boxster equivalent) looks like a Maserati with the same happy face as the 599 and 612.

The rear of all their newer models now apparently have single round lights. The front end headlights curve toward the center of the car. It is becoming more difficult to deferentiate the models which has long been the hallmark of Porsche.

Now I learn that the 430 replacement will have similar features as the 430 but will also receive the single round lights in the rear.

Like Porsche, Ferrari will distinguish their models by what is inside and not outside. Smiley

Well I wish them the best of luck because I am not buying into this scheme. Ferrari has always been iconic. To now blend their models as they are now doing will only reduce their appeal and no matter how well they perform (lets face it, in today's market many cheaper cars will perform or outperform a Ferrari) I honestly believe past and present Ferrari owners will think twice before buying one. I certainly will.Smiley
    Smiley

--

Re: Is Ferrari morphing into Porsche?

Smiley

Smiley

Replacement for your Cayenne ,Nick :

I am afraid I will have to disagree. Lest we forget, even the much revered Ferraris of the recent past beared more than a passing resemblance to each other. The 348 looked like a 3/4 model of the Testarossa. Not to mention that the Mondial T was scoffed at for being less hardcore than a Ferrari should ever be (much like the criticism levied upon the California nowadays). I also prefer twin tail lights but since single units is the new direction we have to accept it, as much as we accepted the twin lights. After all, the twin lights might come back at some time. Ferrari never lost it's iconic status and won't lose it now either. Some people are dissatisfied but the sheer passion, techical prowess and magic of the firm won't subside. Yes, a Corvette ZR-1 costs less than 1/3 of a 599 (over there at least) and is only marginally slower in a straight line (0.4s to 100 mph and 0.2s to the quarter mile according to R&T's readings) and on a par on the twisties (the Vette helped by the massive 335 rear tyres... the 599 could sure use wider rubber) but it doesn't have the poise, nor the sense of occasion of the Ferrari. Ferrari doesn't turn into Porsche IMO. There are no Boxster and Cayenne equivalent emanating from Maranello thankfully.
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Ferrari cannot become like Porsche, and I look at it from a different perspective

I don't think Ferrari can manufacture a reasonably priced car that can can perform to the level of "supercar" (whatever this might mean these days) and can be useable and actually being used day in day out and cover realistic mileages without tne fear of disintegration or horrible maintenance costs.

In other words Ferrari cannot produce a Porsche even if they wanted to.

They cannot even produce a simple Fiat that can reach ten years without looking like a wreck or perform decently after 100,000 kms,  never mind a complex product like Ferrari. The saving grace of a Ferrari is that their owners don't use them enough, for fear of depreciation or costly maintenance, and so their longevity is not sufficiently tested. They are some kind of trophies for the cabinet anyway,so very few feel the need to drive them enough.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

Ferrari cannot become like Porsche, and I look at it from a different perspective

I don't think Ferrari can manufacture a reasonably priced car that can can perform to the level of "supercar" (whatever this might mean these days) and can be useable and actually being used day in day out and cover realistic mileages without tne fear of disintegration or horrible maintenance costs.

In other words Ferrari cannot produce a Porsche even if they wanted to.

They cannot even produce a simple Fiat that can reach ten years without looking like a wreck or perform decently after 100,000 kms, never mind a complex product like Ferrari. The saving grace of a Ferrari is that their owners don't use them enough, for fear of depreciation or costly maintenance, and so their longevity is not sufficiently tested. They are some kind of trophies for the cabinet anyway,so very few feel the need to drive them enough.

--
    +1 right on the money.

As to the single rear light part, i believe that it is just a by product of modern design departments trying to create a strong brand resemblance.

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Atzporsche:

As to the single rear light part, i believe that it is just a by product of modern design departments trying to create a strong brand resemblance.

-- 

Ferrari is just trying to stay a step ahead of the rear styling of the 2000 Chevy Impala , which was designed by  John Cafaro ,  who was well known to be a Ferrari admirer/owner , and who also designed the  1997 C5 Corvette using  , IMO, a few  Ferrari styling  cues there too.

Smiley

I reckon Reginos that you haven't had much contact with the latest crops of italian cars. Numerous friends of mine have Fiats and Alfas in many cases with over 100k km / 60k miles and they have had no major faults. OK, there have been some minor niggles (that occur to all cars) that were covered under warranty but in other cases there were no faults whatsoever. As for their interior built quality, these cars seem much more robust and rattle free than some European Fords (built in Germany nontheless) that I have driven with 60k miles on their clock! Italian cars of the past were built shabilly but times change for the better or for the worse (that last pun was intented at their unfortunate loss of sportivness - not referring to Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis of course).
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Sure things have improved in Italy with respect to cars but other manufacturers have moved the game even further up.

IMO an Alfa or a Lancia cannot be as a complete package as a BMW or Audi. Italian cars can be brilliant in some areas but lacking and even below par in others. Even the british press that seeks the first opportunity to nail german cars, admits to this reality.

This is the case with most Italian engineering products by the way, from household appliances to industrial and workshop machinery to elevators and roads and motorways.

--

Hey reginos, we're all not perfect, that's why we have to love Italian things. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:

Hey reginos, we're all not perfect, that's why we have to love Italian things. Smiley

We all love Italy and the Italians for numerous things. Just in modern engineering (after Da Vinci Smiley) there are some others that are more accomplished.

--

I guess it's down to all around competitivness versus sheer passion and excitment. Let me put it this way; I want my everyday raunabout German (or even better... Japanese, even more reliable!) and my weekend toy Italian. I know for which car I am going to brag about at the pub and it won't be the austere germanic automobile but the temperamental latin motorcar... (not that I indulge in pur bragging but it was a figure of british speach). I mean... how can you get mre excited with an S8 rather than a Quattroporte? The german car might be more accomplished overall, but the enjoyment behind the wheel of the Maser is just priceless and it justifies the financial and other pains that come with it. I guess you don't see it that way though...
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I suppose it's all a matter of taste and priorities and what makes each one of us happy, similar to most other things in life.
    --

The Scud is as much a 430 as the CS was a 360. Dunno Nick, when you bought your F430 Spider there were more F-cars that were re-incarnations than anything that will be out within the next couple of years. When you bought your car you had a newer version of the 550 called the 575 & America. You had the 430 which is basically a re-skined 360 w/ more power & some changes. In the near future the replacement will probably look more different from the 430 than the 430 did vs. the 360 & the 599 definitely looks more unique than the 550 vs the 575.  Back when you purchased your Spider everything had dual lights on each side & now if everything has singles what's the difference?  Tell the truth, for whatever reason you're selling or maybe even have sold your 430 Spider and you're looking to justify your decision. Or maybe it's the climate - Don't even tell me some of the jug heads here were right when they accused you of buying the 430 just because of re-sale.Dunno but it seems strange that you're already talking yourself out of the next car when it hasnt even been seen nor do we know anything about it.  Have a hard time w/ anyone that doesnt think the 430 Scud isnt a more exciting drive vs the CS or that the 430 isnt better than a 360, or the 599 isnt better than the 575. IMHO Ferrari is getting more & more exciting not the reverse. Who the heck cares what the California stands for, if you're not buying it what does that matter anyway.  And don't you want to wait & see before making a decision?  

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

REALZEUS:
    I reckon Reginos that you haven't had much contact with the latest crops of italian cars. Numerous friends of mine have Fiats and Alfas in many cases with over 100k km / 60k miles and they have had no major faults. OK, there have been some minor niggles (that occur to all cars) that were covered under warranty but in other cases there were no faults whatsoever. As for their interior built quality, these cars seem much more robust and rattle free than some European Fords (built in Germany nontheless) that I have driven with 60k miles on their clock! Italian cars of the past were built shabilly but times change for the better or for the worse (that last pun was intented at their unfortunate loss of sportivness - not referring to Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis of course).
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

It always makes me laugh when guys that dont own a certain car comment on why guys drive or dont drive 15k a year, how the heck do they know what I'm thinking. Yes, the 57,234 late model F-car owners all have exactly the same reason for owning a Ferrari & they all have the same reason for low milage; re-sale, costly repairs. Of course that would mean that F-car owners cant have the same reason's for low mileage as every single Porsche owner,  BMW, Mercedes, Corvette owner, etc. etc.  who  also have low mileage & use their babies as fair weather cars. 

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

For a moment there Stradale I thought that you were referring to me and I was dumbfounded. Only when I re-read your post did I realise that you were actually agreeing with me. :) 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

For a moment there Stradale I thought that you were referring to me and I was dumbfounded. Only when I re-read your post did I realise that you were actually agreeing with me. :) 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Smiley

--

Gregg, Make no mistake. Ferrari no longer wants to be the small boutique highly coveted sport car company. Money is the issue. They watch with envy how Porsche makes a ton of money with minimal changes as a result of their brand.

Ferrari is following closely in Porsche foot steps. Yes the 430 had a resemblence to the 360 as did the Stradale and Scud. That was the beginning. Recall when the 360 changed dramatically from the 355? Suddenly, Ferrari was a hot commodity and the lines got very long to buy one.

Today the California GT is nothing more than a maserati but cost almost 50% more. Recent rumors indicate that the 430 replacement has minor exterior changes but will come in a more powerful package and cost a lot more. Sound familiar?

I remain at the top of the list for the 430 replacement but instead of salivating to buy one I plan to stusy it closely and determine whether it is worth the cost given it will depreciate probably more precipitiously than a Porsche.Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 10:13 PM
    throt
    263655 1687
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/21/18 5:31 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    260593 4018
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/23/18 1:05 AM
    RCA
    89759 1382
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67527 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39875 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23926 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13729 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7291 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548417 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456625 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446383 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254981 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247604 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231293 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213276 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175537 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

165152 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    164506 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/21/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    141394 1220
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/8/18 12:32 PM
    rhino
    139016 2855
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    125036 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110809 692
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108111 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105677 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87271 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81722 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81485 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68500 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    67179 163
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 (facelift) Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S 3/30/17 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    60368 131
    371 items found, displaying 1 to 30.