Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I did something crazy but do not regret it.

I was advised my Spider would be completed by Nov. 15. Once loaded on a boat it would take another 6-7 weeks for delivery. I opted to have it flown in (about $7000) and should have it 7-10 days after it is built.

My rationale is I learned several 430's have been damaged in transit. Getting on and off the boat and the hub system of truck transportation has made the journey more dangerous. Most of the damage is fixed in PDI and the owner is not told. Airshipping involves flying the car(which is grated) directly to LAX and the dealer picks it up and brings it to San Diego.

Re: I did something crazy but do not regret it.

Nice Christmas present Nick. Do you give rides?

- J

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I was advised my Spider would be completed by Nov. 15. Once loaded on a boat it would take another 6-7 weeks for delivery. I opted to have it flown in (about $7000) and should have it 7-10 days after it is built.

My rationale is I learned several 430's have been damaged in transit. Getting on and off the boat and the hub system of truck transportation has made the journey more dangerous. Most of the damage is fixed in PDI and the owner is not told. Airshipping involves flying the car(which is grated) directly to LAX and the dealer picks it up and brings it to San Diego.

Make sure it flys via a wide body , your car and the pallet will go straight in and out of say a 747 , THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because on a narrow body aircraft (767) they have to u turn the pallet in and out of the cargo hold door and more often than not catch the over hanging parts and not to mention 10 hairy arse loaders pushing the bodywork . Then theres the cargo lifter for more possible crunches and scratches , followed by getting it on the flat bed cargo truck to the warehouse to meet loads of Cargo Agents that are all dying to have a good sit in view of your cars cockpit.And remember the onload process is obviously no different , so these are two horrible movements.

All the best of luck because your baby going to need it and remember check the aircraft body type..

Good luck..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Make sure it flys via a wide body , your car and the pallet will go straight in and out of say a 747 , THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because on a narrow body aircraft (767) they have to u turn the pallet in and out of the cargo hold door and more often than not catch the over hanging parts and not to mention 10 hairy arse loaders pushing the bodywork . Then theres the cargo lifter for more possible crunches and scratches , followed by getting it on the flat bed cargo truck to the warehouse to meet loads of Cargo Agents that are all dying to have a good sit in view of your cars cockpit.And remember the onload process is obviously no different , so these are two horrible movements.

All the best of luck because your baby going to need it and remember check the aircraft body type..

Good luck..

throt..

You appear to know the process in detail. I honestly do not know what type of plane and whether I have a choice. But I will be damned if I am paying $7000 and having the car damaged. Ferrari and I butted heads once before and they lost. Thanks for the heads up.

I agree.. An airshipment does not guarantee a damage free car. Your dealer can work something out with Ferrari as far as choices in airline, route, etc.

In any case congratulation Nick in advance.. That new toy should keep you busy and off our backs for a while.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Pay me 7000 and I drive it over from Italy to LA.

To be serious: how about some nice pics while you pick up your new love?

We always knew you were crazy Nick Atleast this time its crazy in a non-porsche-bashing way

PS.

CONGRATS!

That is a smart choice .

Quote:
    RC said:

Get me a flight to Italy and i'll do it for free

nick ,good move i would have done the same ,but in case you change your mind again ,all ferrari come in a separate 20 feet container ,and not like other cars just lies inside the boat. are you sure its 7000usd italy to lax? coz from germany to beirut (2 hours flight )its 7000usd...wierd..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    nick ,good move i would have done the same ,but in case you change your mind again ,all ferrari come in a separate 20 feet container ,and not like other cars just lies inside the boat. are you sure its 7000usd italy to lax? coz from germany to beirut (2 hours flight )its 7000usd...wierd..

The regular boat charge is $1350 and by air around $7000. If you subtract the boat charge it is less than $6000 to have it airshipped.

what's going to happen to your coupe ?

Nick,

Just make sure it doesn't fly on USAirways. They always manage to lose my luggage-you don't want your new baby ending up somewhere, like in Hinterlands, Kansas. Of course, no offense to all Kansan's on rennteam.

Remember, pics required. My friend's Spider is due in LA next month.

Congratulations Nick! Remember to post many photos when she arrives Are you going trade in your current 430 for it?

Considering the price of a first class plane ticket... 7K to fly a car from Italy to the US is actually not as bad as I would have expected from Ferrari.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Considering the price of a first class plane ticket... 7K to fly a car from Italy to the US is actually not as bad as I would have expected from Ferrari.

Haha...But the Ferrari will be seating in a dark area alone without any food or drink.

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Get me a flight to Italy and i'll do it for free

OK, the best deal ever. You keep your $7K and no flight ticket need. I can flight and pick it up for you at NO COST!

Quote:
    scud said:
    what's going to happen to your coupe ?

It was sold for a price substantially over MSRP.

Quote:
    nberry said:

You appear to know the process in detail.

Just to clear myself lads ,, I am not a anorak (Plain Spotter) ..Freind works over at Heathrow Airport , his a loader..

throt..

Nick,

I think the $5650 difference will be more than offset by getting the car severeal weeks earlier, and I suspect that you will enjoy telling people you had it flown over, so that has to have some value too.

Note that I mean this in a nice way, you say yourself he whole F thing is more about appearance for you, so this decision seems consistent with that mindset.

Anyway, I'm sure it will all be worth it once you sit in it for the first time.

Please post some photos ASAP...we deserve some after enduring your anti-Porsche yipping.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    Nick,

I think the $5650 difference will be more than offset by getting the car severeal weeks earlier, and I suspect that you will enjoy telling people you had it flown over, so that has to have some value too.

Note that I mean this in a nice way, you say yourself he whole F thing is more about appearance for you, so this decision seems consistent with that mindset.

Anyway, I'm sure it will all be worth it once you sit in it for the first time.

Please post some photos ASAP...we deserve some after enduring your anti-Porsche yipping.

mcdelaug

Yeah, pictures- and perhaps a ride too!

Congrats Nick!

We hope to see it soon. It would be fun to see some pictures if its arrival and uncrating.

Good job Nick !
    I guess that means pictures sooner rather than later for us too !
    I'm all for that!

Cool, I can hardly wait to see the pics of it.

Yeah, that extra money will also get you the car a bit earlier. I can't wait to see it either.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I was advised my Spider would be completed by Nov. 15. ... I opted to have it flown in (about $7000) and should have it 7-10 days after it is built.

Nick,
    I'm curious to know, its been 5 days since the anticipated completion date. Have you recieve any information on your car. According to what you said you might have her as soon as this week.

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    I was advised my Spider would be completed by Nov. 15. ... I opted to have it flown in (about $7000) and should have it 7-10 days after it is built.

Nick,
    I'm curious to know, its been 5 days since the anticipated completion date. Have you recieve any information on your car. According to what you said you might have her as soon as this week.

The car was completed on the 15th. It usually takes about one week for the car to arrive in the US after completion. I should know more either today or tomorrow.

AWESOME Nick, its almost here, you gotta post pics when you get her.

cool move mate!!

And????

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/19/18 2:39 PM
    martini964
    263371 1686
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/17/18 2:59 PM
    throt
    260176 4017
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/19/18 5:52 PM
    Grant
    89042 1363
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67429 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39858 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23906 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13715 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7211 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    548092 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456366 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    446163 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254798 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247512 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231215 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    213068 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175464 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

164871 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 12/15/17 1:44 PM
    RCA
    164369 1072
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/19/18 5:01 PM
    Mithras
    140617 1207
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/8/18 12:32 PM
    rhino
    138953 2855
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    124991 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110567 692
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

108160 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108071 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105620 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    87116 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81700 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81250 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM