Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Any GT3RS owners??

    Afternoon gents.
    I dont really post on this forum often because I never really was interested in getting myself a 996. At the moment I'm waiting for the 997 Turbo to arrive because it's either that, or a 997 Carrera S which is going to be my new car...BUT....
    While walking to my parked car the other day I came across a GT3rs: Gorgeous Machine.

    Now I'm considering getting one of these bad-boys instead. Anyone here have one & if so can you please let me in on some of the pros and cons of owning it??
    Help will be appreciated

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Hi,

    It's a perfect fun car.
    I love to drive my GT3RS. It's a pure drivers car.

    Cheers
    Thomas

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    The RS is actually very compose for everyday use. The suspension is not really as harah as some might suggest. It is a perfect balance between road and track use.

    In track, you can hardly find any 'road car' that can beat the RS. It's very easy to achieve a remarkable track time, even for a beginner.

    Having said that, I barely drive the RS in daily basis. It's still too uncomfortable for city traffic. The roll cage and fire extinguisher can be quite annoying as well for day to day commute.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    I have a GT3 RS (6000Km) and I am using it every day with a lot of pleasure. Il really love this car in track. It is very accurate and its dynamic equilibrium is good. The limit is not anymore the car but the driver!! On a road if you do not drive a long trip its nice. The only negative point on road is not the suspension hardness or the level of noise (more a music than a noise) but its tendancy to follow the profile of the road. If somebody has remarked that and changed some suspension adjustments to get a better self-stability on road, without dammaging too much the track behaviour, please tell me. I have the current "P0 Corsa" Pirelli tires. Thanks!

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    I have yet posted a message concerning my 996GT3RS. Just a comment. There is no harness on the passenger seat! Just a classical safety belt. I have ordered safety harness directly to the manufacturer. I can provide the informations to the persons who want to equip their cars. The harness in quite difficult to buy at Porsche and the manufacturer can provide your harness which has not exactly the same reference but which is very close and can be adapted very easily, with the 6 points. Just the same question, did you try to modify the current adjustments of the suspensions in order to get more auto-stability on bad roads. In curves, its perfect when the car is well placed, in track it is the paradise, but when you drive on a road, the behaviour strongly depends on the road flatness. I can live with that, but do you know if Porche provides different adjustments for road?
    Thanks! It will be a pleasure to discuss with GT3RS owners!

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    The RS is actually very compose for everyday use. The suspension is not really as harah as some might suggest. It is a perfect balance between road and track use.



    i second that!

    Quote:
    The roll cage and fire extinguisher can be quite annoying as well for day to day commute.



    ...but both can be removed! (i collected my car from zuffenhausen factory, and they haven't been even installed).

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    Just the same question, did you try to modify the current adjustments of the suspensions in order to get more auto-stability on bad roads. In curves, its perfect when the car is well placed, in track it is the paradise, but when you drive on a road, the behaviour strongly depends on the road flatness. I can live with that, but do you know if Porche provides different adjustments for road?




    I have never tried adjusting the suspension setting to more road friendly, actually the other way around, I adjusted more camber as well as lowered it a bit.

    I agree with you, the factory suspension setting has too much toe-in and camber in the front for regular road use, which made the steering very nervous. But the car is still very stable. You just need to get used to the steering feedback.

    Try more positive camber and more toe-out in the front and leave the rear setting as it is. It might keep the steering less nervous on uneven surface. But the car will have lazier turn-in and more understeer.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    ...but both can be removed! (i collected my car from zuffenhausen factory, and they haven't been even installed).



    I removed the fire extinguisher but kept the roll cage. You can actually feel the chassis stiffer with the rollcage installed. I replaced the front lip at least 3 times already.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    I removed the fire extinguisher but kept the roll cage. You can actually feel the chassis stiffer with the rollcage installed. I replaced the front lip at least 3 times already.



    the chassis gets stiffer, but feels subjective less so because of the slight groaning between cage and chassis IMO.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    the chassis gets stiffer, but feels subjective less so because of the slight groaning between cage and chassis IMO.



    It does make some kind of noise like a loose screw or something. But the chassis does feel stiffer especially when I compare it to another GT3 without rollcage. The evidence is more obvious especially on those high speed off-camber's corners.

    But if I use the RS everyday, I would have removed the rollcage.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Thanks guys...


    Just what I wanted to hear...
    I know to use this car as a daily driver, one will have to put up with all its quirks. Besides the obvious like ride comfort & hight, are there any other negatives about this car??If so, please explain.

    BTW, was really interested in the 997CS, but after seeing and hearing this car in person again, it really got me thinking. Plus now I'm really waiting for the 997GT3 to come out to see how that will be.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    BTW: Any pics please???

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    There are really no negatives about this car.

    Here's a picture of it.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    william said:
    There are really no negatives about this car.

    Here's a picture of it.



    Nice... Are those youre cars?? (911 & M5)

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    There are really no negatives about this car.




    exactly!

    i used it even for commuting. not in winter, though.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    There are really no negatives about this car.




    exactly!

    i used it even for commuting. not in winter, though.



    Even as a everyday car?? If this is the car i'm going to get for now its going to be my only car. (When 997 GT3/RS comes out I may trade in, depending....)

    BTW... For winter driving: Change of tires? Will this help.
    I know you can adjust the suspension settings kinda
    easy so will changing this also help for
    winter/comfort.etc.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    actually there was a winter tire officially recommended by PAG for the GT3 RS if i remember it correctly. but the main problem is: the car is way too low. you will for sure collect a lot of dirt and snow.

    if you really NEED your car EVERY day, ALL season, even during winter... maybe a 997 c4 would be a better solution.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    we don't need winter tires here zzboba, we don't have snow at all except for in the mountains, nothing around the coast.

    same tires all year round will be just fine

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    I'll tell you the gt3rs is my favourite car!!!!!!!.....I sat in a blue/white example at dealer, and the seats are just insane, its a bit difficult to access the cockpit with the anti-rollbars, the steering wheel and the shifter gives an excellent touch with the alcantara ....Once you sit on it (I obviuosly didn't put myself the seat belts) I just couldn't move, it was hard to turn part of my body to the sides, and imagine that was without the super seat belts!!!!

    The car is for sale at the price of 123.000euros with only 1.063kms ( some of those kms are from the track suddenly , saw the exact car in one of the christophorus magazines in the spanish section, at one track day here in Madrid ), the car is equipped with pccb....

    The only think I did not like was the texture of the seats, sitting on them and touching them, gives you a sensation of cheap materials, I prefer those seats in leather!!!

    In my opinion, I don't thik the RS is a car for the daily driving, its not functional....but believe me I really loved it, it was unique!!!!!!!!, I also opened the front hood, and saw the "interior"carbon fiber, really well done, also the porsche emblem sticker is really cool!!!!!

    It was like sitting in a s space shuttle, really sticked into the seat, and this was without seat belts!!!!!

    Good luck with the choice, though a 997S is also a great choice, don't forget the pse if you finallygo for the S

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    we don't need winter tires here zzboba, we don't have snow at all except for in the mountains, nothing around the coast.

    same tires all year round will be just fine



    Yeah, no worries about snow over here but the thing is our winters are VERY wet.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    BTW Mike: about your reply on the other thread... You're right, normally aspirated cars lose quite a lot of power at that hight so that might a reason for your dissapointment.

    About the traction control issue, I dont know if it matters but I've driven quite alot of powerful cars, especially race cars, so I do know to a certain extent how to control fast cars without TC. But then again this is a 911 and they handle differently. The crap thing is, no traction control + our winters = ???


    The good thing is: I might keep my current GTi or get a 1 series or something, but I'll hardly ever use the car cause the P will be my driver 99,99999999999% of the time, I'll only use the 2nd car in extreme conditions.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    we don't need winter tires here zzboba, we don't have snow at all except for in the mountains, nothing around the coast.

    same tires all year round will be just fine



    Yeah, no worries about snow over here but the thing is our winters are VERY wet.



    oh man... i haven't noticed where you are from!

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Traction Control can save you when you least expect it. Why do you think all the Porsches featured on wreckedexotics.com are GT3's and GT2's Especially with all the rain Cape Town gets in the winter, would be highly advisable. There's no ways I'd touch my Noble when it rains heavily, did it once and it was quite the story. Aquaplains so easily and that's when things get scary! Can't imagine the RS with it's wider tires..

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    I'll tell you the gt3rs is my favourite car!!!!!!!.....I sat in a blue/white example at dealer, and the seats are just insane, its a bit difficult to access the cockpit with the anti-rollbars, the steering wheel and the shifter gives an excellent touch with the alcantara ....Once you sit on it (I obviuosly didn't put myself the seat belts) I just couldn't move, it was hard to turn part of my body to the sides, and imagine that was without the super seat belts!!!!

    The car is for sale at the price of 123.000euros with only 1.063kms ( some of those kms are from the track suddenly , saw the exact car in one of the christophorus magazines in the spanish section, at one track day here in Madrid ), the car is equipped with pccb....

    The only think I did not like was the texture of the seats, sitting on them and touching them, gives you a sensation of cheap materials, I prefer those seats in leather!!!

    In my opinion, I don't thik the RS is a car for the daily driving, its not functional....but believe me I really loved it, it was unique!!!!!!!!, I also opened the front hood, and saw the "interior"carbon fiber, really well done, also the porsche emblem sticker is really cool!!!!!

    Good luck with the choice, though a 997S is also a great choice, don't forget the pse if you finallygo for the S



    I Love the RS in blue + I see so much more cars with the red detailing on.
    The alcantara is awesome as well, but one of the main things about this car that I like is the attention to detail.

    Look, I'm going to get a 997 sooner or later, and I do think the new C2S is the best car available on the market today, I LOVE IT!!! But there is just something about the GT3RS that gets my attention. It's a Head or Heart descision, my head says CS cause its the better car and a better daily driver, while my heart says GT3rs.

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    BTW Alex: Traveling without moving - good music

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Yeah Jamiroquai rocks!!!!!!!


    In relation with the 997S and the gt3rs!!!!

    That is a tough choice, it really is!!!!

    If you say you are gonna have a 1series or similar car, I'll probably go for the gt3rs, cause I don't see myself driving an RS every single day!!!as I told you, accessing to the cockpit is a bit difficult so imaigne everyday entering the car etc, its a car that is really llamative!!

    In the other hand I'll say if you where only going to have one single car, go for the 997S with pse of course , I'm sure the gt3rs and 997S with pse are very similar in engine sound!!

    But well returning to the point, the RS is magical!!!! but not for everyday!!!

    very tough decision!!!!!!!!

    May be you could get an RS, and then when the new 997gt3 comes changing it, I think resale price will be higher in an RS than a 997S


    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Yeah Jamiroquai rocks!!!!!!!


    In relation with the 997S and the gt3rs!!!!

    That is a tough choice, it really is!!!!

    If you say you are gonna have a 1series or similar car, I'll probably go for the gt3rs, cause I don't see myself driving an RS every single day!!!as I told you, accessing to the cockpit is a bit difficult so imaigne everyday entering the car etc, its a car that is really llamative!!

    In the other hand I'll say if you where only going to have one single car, go for the 997S with pse of course , I'm sure the gt3rs and 997S with pse are very similar in engine sound!!

    But well returning to the point, the RS is magical!!!! but not for everyday!!!

    very tough decision!!!!!!!!

    May be you could get an RS, and then when the new 997gt3 comes changing it, I think resale price will be higher in an RS than a 997S





    Rocks BIG time...
    I usually listen to HipHop/R&B but Jamiroquai just plain rocks, like you said. I had that CD but it got lost over the years. One track featured a Diablo accelerating, right?


    The resale of the RS should be higher than a good specced C2 i think.
    BTW, as far as engine sound is concerend, I dont really think the Cs can compare to the RS, but exhaust sound... Now thats a fifferent story. The New PSE is just incridible & I can tell you like it also.
    Whats louder by the way, RS or 997PSE. (If you can answer)(Engine&Exhaust sound)

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Dunno what's louder between both of the models!!

    But the 997S with the pse, just has an excellent sound, especially in cold start!!, its like flames coming off from the exhaust!!!

    I've never listen to an RS engine, but from my point of view, I think both models have similar sounds!! (when I say both I mean 997S pse and RS)

    So have you finally made the decision!!

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    ohh btw!!...I know what song you mean from JQ 'travelling without moving"...Yeah I think the sound is from his Diablo special edition, wrecked as you know some time ago, and not from him!!

    Jamiroquai rocks!!!!

    Re: Any GT3RS owners??

    Yo Alex...

    I've never heard PSE in real life before,but from the vids I've watched it does sound totally out of this world...The GT3RS really is a nice sounding car also, although I still have to hear it from inside ..

    I havent made any real desicions yet but I'm really leaning towards the RS.(now, 997GT3/rslater)
    Was at our PC yesterday and they had some really nice cars. 2 RS'(blue+red), a GT3, 3 Carrera S' (Arctic, Guards, and a very nice Cobalt/lapis one with PCCB and PSE), Boxtsters,a 993 TurboS and some others... I'm maybe going there later if I have time + I i still get them open so I'll try to take a few pics. Just have one at the moment though, from my visit yesterday.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/17/18 5:15 PM
    martini964
    263085 1682
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/17/18 2:59 PM
    throt
    259887 4017
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/17/18 5:26 PM
    Grant
    88367 1347
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67345 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39824 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23901 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13704 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7173 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    547775 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    456146 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    445967 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254662 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247463 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    231164 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    212893 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175429 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    164665 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 12/15/17 1:44 PM
    RCA
    164210 1072
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/18/18 8:58 PM
    Topspeed
    140020 1195
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/8/18 12:32 PM
    rhino
    138897 2855
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    124943 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110379 692
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo
     
     
     
     
     
    108146 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    108049 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/18/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    105523 1869
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    86998 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81673 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    81136 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    68283 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    66839 163
    370 items found, displaying 1 to 30.