How am I not realistic? Have you not seen countless posts tell you how unreliable the 12C is and how you're nuts if you buy one without a warranty? Mine is up for sale because it's just not a good car and a pain in the ass to own when not within 20 minutes of a dealer. I've literally told McLaren the car has been a piece of shit.
He drives his 650S daily and likes it. So what? I drive my 12C daily. It's just a car. Am I not realistic when saying the 650S is only 1% different than 12C in the vast majority of usage?
I'm not a huge fan, I'm just not interested in playing it safe in design and rehashing shit for eternity. Ferrari and Lamborghini keep the same general designs for nearly 10 years. Porsche keeps them for 50 years. Some people actually like to see people take chances and do something new. McLaren is one of the few companies innovating in design, like the look or not. 12C, P1, 570S, 720S -- like them or not, they were/are fresh and doing something new where many aren't. They aren't afraid to just fix stuff and update stuff so you're always getting the best they have in the latest car you buy.
No, I don't want anyone even talking to me about my car or taking pictures. It's super fucking annoying telling people random facts about the car like how fast it goes and stupid stuff like that. I don't even like people telling me "nice car." "Nice car" has to be one of the dumbest things to say, yet everyone says it. What am I supposed to say to that? Thanks? I didn't design it, so I don't know why they're telling me that. But I'm polite, and I'm realistic and understanding that people generally love all McLaren designs and cum when one pulls up at the gas station.
Every McLaren is leaps and bounds above every 911 in design. Saying any McLaren is a bad design just shows how out of touch you are with the general population's opinion. I have no interest in icons. The GT cars sell not because they look like 911s or people demand they have a high performance 911, but because Porsche doesn't offer anything else. End of story. Everyone would be in a 918 if that was the $250K car Porsche was selling. How long have been people been waiting for a fabled 960? the GT3 and RS have big wings because Porsche doesn't want to design a car that doesn't need them.
And what's so iconic about the Boxtser interior that you want it in a GT3?
Whether a design ages well is meaningless unless you plan to keep the same car forever. When it ages, sell it and buy something new. Who cares how it ages when it's out of production and you've sold it? A black suit is timeless as well, but I don't go around wearing a fucking suit everywhere.
Offer the keys to a GT3 RS and a 720S to any random person on the street and see which they go for. 9 times out of 10 they're going for the one with doors that open upward.
And yes, McLaren is actually trying to buck the trend rather just rehashing the same shit for decades or following everyone else. McLaren has been around 5 years and they're already doing stuff others aren't or haven't.
1. The skin/tendon door design is unique to them. Everyone else just sticks a giant whole on the side. Why couldn't anyone else think of this? Why do Ferrari and Porsche just cut holes into the side?
2. They don't think everyone needs to see the plenums in the engine bay so much anymore. They're actually using the area for more useful interior space. Why hasn't anyone else thought to offer more interior space behind the seats in a rear mid-engine exotic? What's stopping Ferrari and Lamborghini from using that space behind the seats? There isn't anything worth looking at in the engine bay. It looks however they want it to look. You can't even see the engine in most cars. You can make a Honda Civic look like a La Ferrari with ease. You're just looking at an intake skin and a bunch of CF dollars they sucked out of someone's pocket because the matte black standard trim looks so shitty and dirty.
3. Two of their mid-engine exotics now offer glass roofs. Why can't I get this from Ferrari or Lamborghini? Simply option that many people like.
4. No buttons on the steering wheel whenever else is adding as many buttons as they can get. Like it or love it. I don't switches
5. No glove box in P11, P12, or P14 (i think). It's brilliant. Every glovebox in the world is full of garbage. Go open anyone's glovebox and you'll find a bunch of shit people thought they needed to save but didn't. No glovebox, no problem. You just don't fill it with garbage.
6. Glass C-Pillars. While I still think I prefer this part of the car painted, a lot of people really like it and it does look pretty cool now that I'm actually seeing it. Improves visibility too.
You can bust a nut over driving an icon for the rest of your life if that's what you want. It's a good looking car at the end of the day, just don't pretend it's God's gift to design, the interior especially. Half the people on here seem to drive 911s because they are "socially acceptable"...