Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette Z06 Engine problems

Sounds like several of the new 505hp Z06's are experiencing valve failure - new engines requ'd:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1571497

Re: Corvette Z06 Engine problems

A case of affordability over quality

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Sounds like several of the new 505hp Z06's are experiencing valve failure - new engines requ'd:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1571497

Weren't valve reliability problems stated by Dave Hill when meeting one of our forum members right before launch? I'm positive that they were and I was wonderijng how they managed to resolve them so fast.

I think they changed the valve in later build dates. I believe it was the first few 06s that had the problems. Kind of par for the course for a new model of any hi end sports car.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    I think they changed the valve in later build dates. I believe it was the first few 06s that had the problems. Kind of par for the course for a new model of any hi end sports car.

I think some folks who reported problems on that link I posted are quite recent builds...

Wow that sucks. Mine has been perfect. It's actually been more reliable than either one of my M3s. 12K miles with no problems. But I drive the hell out of it which I firmly believe keeps sports cars running right.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Wow that sucks. Mine has been perfect. It's actually been more reliable than either one of my M3s. 12K miles with no problems. But I drive the hell out of it which I firmly believe keeps sports cars running right.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I actually had the same luck with my 355spider. Ran perfect with lots of hard driving. Best way to do it.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I actually had the same luck with my 355spider. Ran perfect with lots of hard driving. Best way to do it.

I tend to agree. It's bumper-bumper traffic and slow, monotonous driving that kills an engine. Just warm her up, then let 'er rip, that's the best recipé.

Quote:
    355Spider said:

Nice.

Glad to hear yours has been running well. I got a chance to drive one last summer and it was a blast. It sounded so good and was so fast, there's absolutely nothing that can touch it in its price bracket and very few vehicles that come close for 2X the money. I hope this problem doesn't escalate and tarnish such a great car's reputation.

What reputation? Beyond being a great performer...

The reputation of being a great performing bagain that is reasonably well put together.
    Great performance is fine, but the ZO6 needs to be fairly reliable too. This is a reputation that will need to be built up over time so we'll just have to wait and see.

FifthGear's sports car of the year 2006 as announced last night.

A kiss of death given how bad this FifthGear series has been!

It beat the Porsche Turbo and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. No mention of the GT3!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said: FifthGear's sports car of the year 2006 as announced last night.

It beat the Porsche Turbo and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. No mention of the GT3!

Sorry to nitpick but 3rd place was the Ferrari F599 GTB Fiorano.

Just to clarify folks, Fifth Gear presented its Cars of the Year Awards last night for cars launched in 2006 only.

Yep - silent on the 997 GT3, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, new Mercedes CL, Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, new Audi R8 (launched at Paris Motor Show). Useless and pathetic huh?

Vicki Butler-Brain-dead-bimbo-with-kids-and-no-figure-left-who-still-thinks-she-can-get-away-with-giggling-every-5-seconds-like-a-teenager thought the best way of demonstrating a CL65 AMG to a wealthy Greek businessman was to do donuts. Bravo VBH! Your TV audience only watches your programme because Top Gear is not on air otherwise we wouldn't give you the time of day.

I wish they would get rid of Tim "I'm Useless" Lovejoy. He doesn't know anything about cars and even says so himself. I am also sick and tired of Tiff "1980s Boy" Needell making stupid boyish noises every time he finds a drive exhilarating.

Jason "Macho" Plato was damned rude and sexist about the accident which the Girls Aloud singer had in that Ferrari with the Chrysler minivan.

At least the new Audi TT Coupe won the overall Car of the Year 2006 title. Quite a good decision.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] I wish they would get rid of Tim "I'm Useless" Lovejoy. He doesn't know anything about cars and even says so himself. I am also sick and tired of Tiff "1980s Boy" Needell making stupid boyish noises every time he finds a drive exhilarating.

Jason "Macho" Plato was damned rude and sexist about the accident which the Girls Aloud singer had in that Ferrari with the Chrysler minivan.

At least the new Audi TT Coupe won the overall Car of the Year 2006 title. Quite a good decision.

I agree with you on quite a few aspects. However I prefer Needel due to its driving abilities to about anybody else on the various TV shows I have access to. That said, I am limited to watch excerpts on video since Fifth Gear isn't accessible to me.

The Girls Aloud episode was hilarious and to be honest, how else could you've reacted?

What's wrong with being sexist? In the feminist world we live in today, it's only fair. Besides, if it were your car she crashed, how would you react?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Completely right Easy, sorry guys

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said: FifthGear's sports car of the year 2006 as announced last night.

Just to clarify folks, Fifth Gear presented its Cars of the Year Awards last night for cars launched in 2006 only.

Yep - silent on the 997 GT3, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, new Mercedes CL, Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, new Audi R8 (launched at Paris Motor Show). Useless and pathetic huh?

Vicki Butler-Brain-dead-bimbo-with-kids-and-no-figure-left-who-still-thinks-she-can-get-away-with-giggling-every-5-seconds-like-a-teenager thought the best way of demonstrating a CL65 AMG to a wealthy Greek businessman was to do donuts. Bravo VBH! Your TV audience only watches your programme because Top Gear is not on air otherwise we wouldn't give you the time of day.

I wish they would get rid of Tim "I'm Useless" Lovejoy. He doesn't know anything about cars and even says so himself. I am also sick and tired of Tiff "1980s Boy" Needell making stupid boyish noises every time he finds a drive exhilarating.

lol, good summary! I only enjoy watching Tiff, because he can actually drive. I don't care to watch what the rest do or have to say on Fifth gear IMO.

The real spin would be if one day Tiff Needel walked onto the stage at Top Gear and proclaimed: "I am the Stig".

I think the only reason any of us watch Fifth Gear is because of Tiff, the absolute best in the business... Fifth Gear in the beginning started great in the right direction but I guess the masses want garbage and thats what dictated TV so...
    Wish he would move on to a program of his onw and drop the fifth gear crew and producers...

Quote:
    Ferdie said: I prefer Needel due to its driving abilities to about anybody else on the various TV shows I have access to.

The Girls Aloud episode was hilarious and to be honest, how else could you've reacted?

Sure, I agree that Tiff can drive very well. So can Jason Plato - he's a professional driver competing this year in the British Touring Car Championships. Here's a link about him in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Plato

But my complaint about Tiff is not his driving, it's his mannerisms. He annoys me so much with his stupid "whooooooooooaaaaaa", "waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh" and "wooooooooooooo" noises as he goes round the track. He's 55 years old but he behaves like an overgrown, overexcited schoolboy. Here he is in wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiff_Needell

Someone needs to tell him he doesn't sound good making those stupid noises. He just sounds like a sad, overgrown loser (albeit a loser who can drive well).

VBH in wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler_Henderson

As for the blonde in Girls Aloud, sure, she avoided the red Carrera S in her Ferrari only to collide with the Chrysler minivan. Pretty careless driving yes. So if the criticism was just about her as a driver then I have no problem at all with that. Let her have it! But that wasn't what I was complaining about. It was the way Jason Plato made comments about it. It was so obvious he just wanted to say "Women! They're useless drivers". Instead, he had to hold back and say "There's a moral in this story. Don't let pop stars drive Ferraris". Why did he have to demean all women instead of just one person who happened to be female? He's such a male chauvinist IMO. Fact is there are women drivers who are better than him e.g. Sabine Schmidt (the woman who runs the M5 Ring Taxi service) for example.

Maybe I'm just biased. I think the bottle blonde in Girls Aloud is s*xy. Actually, what I think is best about her is that she is confident, up for fun and a bit of a tomboy. I like women who are up for it. Makes life less dull!

As for the Stig, well, who knows who he really is. All I can say is that, whenever F1 drivers go round the Top Gear track, they take a slightly different line to him. Makes me suspect that he isn't a retired F1 driver. Other than that, I don't know who he is. I wonder whether the celebrity guest drivers on Top Gear can identify him because he does talk them through going around the track before they record their timed laps for Top Gear.

Here is the UK Corvette website with the story behind the car that was in the show.

http://c6zo6.co.uk/content/view/54/83/#

Quote:
    Crash said: What's wrong with being sexist? In the feminist world we live in today, it's only fair.

You didn't really just write this, did you? There's everything wrong with being sexist. Discriminating against women (or men for that matter) not because of their individual characteristics as people etc but purely because of their gender alone is just indefensible.

IMO we don't live in a 'feminist world'. I would say that, in reality, sexism is alive and well everywhere but that only in North America, Western Europe and small parts of the rest of the World is it politically and socially unacceptable to be sexist. The countries and continents with the highest populations are still notoriously sexist. Shame on them for exploiting women economically, mistreating them at home and at work and harming women physically e.g. rape, female genital mutilation, people trafficking for prostitution, aborting baby girls following ultrasound scans etc.

No offence intended to anyone here (just expressing my opinion) but terrible suffering is endured by women in less developed countries all over South America, Asia, Africa and I just can't treat that as a laughing matter. The feeling that things are stacked in favour of women in the developed world (e.g. alimony settlements, child custody rules on divorce etc) is a fallacy since these imbalances (that go too far the other way) are just a few exceptions to the norm.

Easy,

it is just a difference in personal opinions. I appreciate Plato and Needel for their driving skills & their characters, and I am fully aware of their previous & accompaning careers. I accept that not everybody can get along with that but they are clearly amongst my favourites.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Don't let pop stars drive Ferraris".

Maybe have a chat with Britney Spears about the upper comment. So you have never made a joke about blonde women? About other groups of society?
    Corvette drivers? Ferrari drivers? Vauxhall drivers?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Don't let pop stars drive Ferraris". [...] Maybe I'm just biased. I think the bottle blonde in Girls Aloud is s*xy. [...]

So do I, but that doesn't say anything about her driving skills. Previous to her Ferrari experience she was driving a bit overly optimistic, wasn't she?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Fact is there are women drivers who are better than him e.g. Sabine Schmidt (the woman who runs the M5 Ring Taxi service) for example. [...]

I am not too sure about her driving skills - they are definately beyond average but I have quite a good opinon regarding Plato. She was driving in touring car championships as well a decade ago, in South Africa if I remember correctly. She seemed to have taken the spots in midfield back then.

I believe you guys are a little spoiled reg. your TV car shows. They are still better than any other TV shows I have discovered yet - just for the record, SportAuto's tv show was canceled after a few episodes. Funny that you mention Sabine Schmitz, by the way. She is host of a recently launched car programme and I repeatedly found her to lack substantial abilities for that job!

I totally respect your opinion Ferdie and agree with a lot of what you say.

About pop stars, that's an interesting one. Sure, Britney Spears may be a terrible driver with poor taste in cars. But other pop stars can have some taste in cars and ability round the track. Jay Kay is well known as a car collector and loves to drive his cars fast. Sadly for him he does so on the public roads resulting in various driving bans! Chris Rea is a well known Ferrari fan and there are no doubt many, many others who are real enthusiasts AND who have some ability behind the wheel.

Blonde women? I don't joke about whether they have brains etc. Generally I don't tend to make jokes about a group of people. It's unfair tarring everyone with the same brush. I only joke about specific people.

Yes - the Girls Aloud star wasn't driving within her ability. She was a bit wild....but I like women like that! Women who let themselves go and enjoy the moment without caring about risk. Life would be so dull if we were all so sensible.

I guess, in an ideal world, we would all have sensible wives and exciting mistresses!

There's a thread on the Off-Topic board "Do you remember THAT girl?". Many of the guys posting there assume (IMO wrongly) that women with breast implants are all bimbos. That's a generalisation which they may regret. I know various intelligent women (university graduates with very successful careers as professionals in banks and law firms in London) who have had their breasts enlarged so it's not an assumption I would make. Imagine brains, beauty and breasts...devastating combination! How many guys can match that?

As for Sabine Schmitz, I have only seen her on Top Gear driving the M5 and also when she drove a van around the 'Ring. I don't know that much about her but, although I don't think she's beautiful, I think it's always cool when a woman can beat men at their own game!

Gosh, this thread seems to have little connection to the original topic of Corvette engine reliability! Maybe this says a lot about how interesting this car really is....

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said: What's wrong with being sexist? In the feminist world we live in today, it's only fair.

You didn't really just write this, did you? There's everything wrong with being sexist. Discriminating against women (or men for that matter) not because of their individual characteristics as people etc but purely because of their gender alone is just indefensible.

IMO we don't live in a 'feminist world'. I would say that, in reality, sexism is alive and well everywhere but that only in North America, Western Europe and small parts of the rest of the World is it politically and socially unacceptable to be sexist. The countries and continents with the highest populations are still notoriously sexist. Shame on them for exploiting women economically, mistreating them at home and at work and harming women physically e.g. rape, female genital mutilation, people trafficking for prostitution, aborting baby girls following ultrasound scans etc.

No offence intended to anyone here (just expressing my opinion) but terrible suffering is endured by women in less developed countries all over South America, Asia, Africa and I just can't treat that as a laughing matter. The feeling that things are stacked in favour of women in the developed world (e.g. alimony settlements, child custody rules on divorce etc) is a fallacy since these imbalances (that go too far the other way) are just a few exceptions to the norm.

Look, I agree with you about women in 3rd world countries. Being humiliated and discriminated against (or worse, killed) because of your gender is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. However, the overly-PC media bombards us with images of stupid, horny and pussy-whipped guys every single day. If a guy decides to take a jab at women for whatever reason he is immediately attacked - such as in this case. And let's face it - most women are TERRIBLE drivers. It's just in their genes to perform different duties as men (a minority of excellent female drivers is of course excluded).
    Regarding your final point, MOST of the time it's the woman who gets child custody, some are getting enormous alimonies, then I should also mention the so called "female quotas" in some of the countries. Sure, they go and call them equal-opportunity, but am I the only one who believes that this idea is dumber than the invasion of Iraq? Say what you want, but we're way past equality point in most of the West. No need to put them on a pedestal - you'll get plenty of that once you're married .

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Maybe this says a lot about how interesting this car really is....

I stated Spears since she supposedly messed up some manual-driven rental Ferrari. Not defending Plato, I was under the impression that he aimed that comment toward female starlets primarily.

Anyways, good to have a chat with you!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] Maybe this says a lot about how interesting this car really is....

I stated Spears since she supposedly messed up some manual-driven rental Ferrari. Not defending Plato, I was under the impression that he aimed that comment toward female starlets primarily.

Anyways, good to have a chat with you!

I believe she over-revved the engine .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 1/16/18 3:58 PM
    watt
    262422 1672
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/16/18 5:28 PM
    DaveGordon
    258816 4014
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/16/18 4:27 PM
    watt
    87283 1327
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 1/12/18 7:11 PM
    the-missile
    67138 673
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/3/18 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    39740 468
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23883 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13678 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    7061 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    547324 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    455728 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    445616 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    254416 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/4/18 9:14 PM
    wurlie
    247308 2558
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

231057 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    212600 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    175334 1699
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

164384 874
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 12/15/17 1:44 PM
    RCA
    163958 1072
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 12/15/17 11:32 AM
    RCA
    139464 1190
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/8/18 12:32 PM
    rhino
    138725 2855
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    124769 1651
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    110017 692
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

108084 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    107887 1284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 1/16/18 6:11 PM
    RCA
    104787 1847
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    86713 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    81616 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    80893 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM