Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just Drove Launch Car

Just drove the dealer's launch car. It was a fairly short drive, but enough to make some preliminary observations. Car had 6spd, sport chrono, sport shifter, std seats, sport wheel, no LSD (LSD would not have made a difference on this drive).

First, the car feels quick in all respects, not just acceleration. Combines the grunt of the 996tt with the more precise feel of the 997S in sport mode.

The increase in torque versus the 996tt can be felt in all gears and power comes on more quickly. As others have noted, turbo lag is reduced, but not eliminated.

Sport shifter is notchy and precise--much less play than the standard 6spd in the 996tt and 997S--never experienced a sport shifter in either of those so can't say if this is a significant difference, but overall the shifting felt very good.

A pleasure to run through the gears and the increased definition of the gates would seem to make it hard to miss a shift.

Clutch was very similar in feel to the 996tt, perhaps more "linear".

Car felt composed and easy to drive, but if you put your foot in it, pay attention--it can get very involving, very quickly.

Brakes were standard cast iron-- good feel, perhaps a little less pedal travel needed to shed serious speed than prior tt.

Car handled well in traffic, feeling smaller than it looked.

Engine sound is overtaken by the turbo spool, so no raspy wind-out like the 997S, more of a constantly increasing smooth growl. Not bad and very similar to the 996tt, perhaps a bit deeper.

Minor points--car had the thicker leather wheel, felt fine but could be even thicker, sports seats would be a big improvement.

Overall, the drive left me feeling eager,excited and pleased about my late July delivery. My car has similar equipment, plus pccb and lsd. Not surprisingly, the new 911tt seems to combine the best of the prior generation tt with the improvements made in the 997 series. Everthing feels at least a bit better, and in the case of power and handling, the improvements are very noticeable. Considering the level achieved with both the 996tt and 997S by Porsche, that is, IMHO, a remarkable accomplishment.

Re: Just Drove Launch Car

Sweeeeeeeeeett!!! Thanks for the review....

Great review, thanks

Thx for your prelim impressions

Curious what you mean by remaining turbo lag? Tq curve of 997TT seems to be one of best on planet for, for ex., 50-100MPH accel, to "plug holes" in fast urban fwy traffic...

Any views re: 997TT vs 996TTS vs 997S in steering precision/feel?

Any issues w/997TT's front spoiler ground clearance vs driveways, etc.?

TIA

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Curious what you mean by remaining turbo lag? Tq curve of 997TT seems to be one of best on planet for, for ex., 50-100MPH accel, to "plug holes" in fast urban fwy traffic...

TIA

VKSF,
    I will try to answer your questions. By "remaining turbo lag" I meant that there still is some, notwithstanding the use of VTG. The 996TT had a slight hesitation on acceleration. The 997TT seems to have about one-half to one-third of that amount. Its almost to the point where you could mistake it for the throttle lag you can experience in some normally aspirated cars. Not really objectionable--especially when you realize how much power is about to pour on.

Not enough time in the 997TT to fully appreciate how it might compare to the 996TT and 997S in steering and precision, but based on my short drive the car felt more nimble than the 996TT and not quite as light in the nose compared to the 997S. Overall very tight, composed and precise. When I first drove my 997S, I was so impressed with its steering and feel that I decided to trade in the 996TT I was then driving. Over time I began to miss some of the 996TT's torque and, at times, the stability of AWD. Based on the short drive I think Porsche has combined the best of the two prior cars in the 997TT.

Ground clearance seemed okay, I exited the dealship at a slight angle and slooowly to make sure I would not scrape. Their entrance has a bit of a dip. It did not hit, but I do not know by how much.

All-in-all, I was impressed. I would not view the 997TT as "revolutionary" compared to it predecessors, but its more than a collection of evolutionary refinements. For me, it represents a strong step forward. A bolder Turbo that feels tight and composed while being driven hard. It feels like it has a larger performance envelope and that it is capable of taking you to the edge of that envelope faster than ever before. I am eager to drive my own.

Great read. As I see it now, the 997 tt is a typical porsche kind of development: No revolution, but substantial improvements on the things that matter. No shouting out loud, but let the users find out how wonderful it is. Looking forward to coming saturday, hope to attend the dutch release.
    -Joost-

Bh, I could not agree with you more on all the points you raised. The car is as you said quite perfectly.

All-in-all, I was impressed. I would not view the 997TT as "revolutionary" compared to it predecessors, but its more than an a collection of evolutionary refinements. For me, it represents a strong step forward. A bolder Turbo that feels tight and composed while being driven hard. It feels like it has a larger performance envelope and that it is capable of taking you to the edge of that envelope faster than ever before. I am eager to drive my own."

After driving the TT, I really think you've said it better than the magazines have attempted thus far.

A very concise and fiting representation of the new P-car fighter jet.

Quote:
    zeroHero said:
    Bh, I could not agree with you more on all the points you raised. The car is as you said quite perfectly.

All-in-all, I was impressed. I would not view the 997TT as "revolutionary" compared to it predecessors, but its more than an a collection of evolutionary refinements. For me, it represents a strong step forward. A bolder Turbo that feels tight and composed while being driven hard. It feels like it has a larger performance envelope and that it is capable of taking you to the edge of that envelope faster than ever before. I am eager to drive my own."

After driving the TT, I really think you've said it better than the magazines have attempted thus far.

A very concise and fiting representation of the new P-car fighter jet.

Thanks Zero,
    Its nice to hear that someone with more seat time (I read your "WOW" post) has a similar set impressions. It is an amazing car. Would love to hear more about your experience.

bh,

I couldn't have said it any better than you did.

I didn't really get that much seat time in the 996TT nor the 993TT so I had no real basis for comparison between these cars. I can however atest to the fact that the 997TT feels akin to being shot by a slingshot whereas V8 powered cars such as my old M5 was like being shot out of a cannon. Both are FAST in their own respective ways. I was however amazed at the precision of the steering feel. I truly felt like I could go as I pleased at the merest thought.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions on this rocket on wheels. Nice review

nice review.. thanks! cant wait to drive it in a few days..

Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

TIA

VKSF,
    I will try to answer your questions. By "remaining turbo lag" I meant that there still is some, notwithstanding the use of VTG. The 996TT had a slight hesitation on acceleration. The 997TT seems to have about one-half to one-third of that amount. Its almost to the point where you could mistake it for the throttle lag you can experience in some normally aspirated cars. Not really objectionable--especially when you realize how much power is about to pour on.

Not enough time in the 997TT to fully appreciate how it might compare to the 996TT and 997S in steering and precision, but based on my short drive the car felt more nimble than the 996TT and not quite as light in the nose compared to the 997S. Overall very tight, composed and precise. When I first drove my 997S, I was so impressed with its steering and feel that I decided to trade in the 996TT I was then driving. Over time I began to miss some of the 996TT's torque and, at times, the stability of AWD. Based on the short drive I think Porsche has combined the best of the two prior cars in the 997TT.

Ground clearance seemed okay, I exited the dealship at a slight angle and slooowly to make sure I would not scrape. Their entrance has a bit of a dip. It did not hit, but I do not know by how much.

All-in-all, I was impressed. I would not view the 997TT as "revolutionary" compared to it predecessors, but its more than a collection of evolutionary refinements. For me, it represents a strong step forward. A bolder Turbo that feels tight and composed while being driven hard. It feels like it has a larger performance envelope and that it is capable of taking you to the edge of that envelope faster than ever before. I am eager to drive my own.

Very helpful detail, bh ....in fact, better than nearly all of the mag articles I've read....from an actual owner of all the relevant P iterations

Just learned my 997TT is due for completion 7/21, so in interim very much enjoy the insightful second-hand impressions from fellow rennteamers

I just sat in a new Turbo (black/black, manual SC) and started the engine. The exhaust sound is not as insipid as reported; it is muted but sounds okay with the doors open and stationary (although the exhausts outlets look a little strange to me). In general the car looks good in the flesh, but somehow it does not quite capture my heart. The lower ride height and interior of my car actually looks better to me.

The dealer confirmed that no mods (lowering, exhaust, etc) would work with the new Turbo (and would of course void the warranty). I can test drive the car in three weeks, but after seeing and hearing it, and knowing that its performance is not a significant improvement over my car, I doubt I will be buying a 997 Turbo. I want to buy a car that does not need modifications.Roll on the 997 GT2.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I just sat in a new Turbo (black/black, manual SC) and started the engine. The exhaust sound is not as insipid as reported; it is muted but sounds okay with the doors open and stationary (although the exhausts outlets look a little strange to me). In general the car looks good in the flesh, but somehow it does not quite capture my heart. The lower ride height and interior of my car actually looks better to me.

The dealer confirmed that no mods (lowering, exhaust, etc) would work with the new Turbo (and would of course void the warranty). I can test drive the car in three weeks, but after seeing and hearing it, and knowing that its performance is not a significant improvement over my car, I doubt I will be buying a 997 Turbo. I want to buy a car that does not need modifications.Roll on the 997 GT2.

Aum,
    The GT2 should be an amazing car, but I hope you at least take the TT for a test drive. I think the improvements to the AWD and handling might win you over. I need the back seats to drop the kids at school many mornings and I kind of like the 997TT's being a bit more subtle, so the GT2 and the GT3 are not for me. It would be teriffic to hear what you think, if you do take that spin.

I can't see why the dealer would say no mods would work, that doesn't make much sense. As RC has said, mods will be limited and nobody should risk installing any of the preliminary tuner packages due to the lack of experience with VTG and networked systems, however simple mods such as exhaust and perhaps air intakes should be available soon. The exaust mod should not void the warranty, but time will tell.

Nice write up. Sat in the launch black/black here Monday. Did not drive it yet.

Liked everything except two features of the interior:

Center console is way too busy, and looks good only in darker colors
    HATE, I mean HATE the steering wheel options

Of course, none of this has anything to do with performance, but I sure hope they offer some improvements soon.

Thanks.

excellent thorough review, bh!

many thnx for your detailed words and relevant contexts--

sounds like the tt impresses with profound solidity

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    excellent thorough review, bh!

many thnx for your detailed words and relevant contexts--

sounds like the tt impresses with profound solidity

Thanks to all who have commented on the brief review of the test drive of the launch car . Now that a few Rennteamers have taken delivery, its interesting to see the consistency on a few points:

Lots of comments re significantly improved handling, balance, composure.
    Everyone is seems pleased with power.
    Most noticing some turbo lag- but its reduced and does not seem to be an issue.
    Lots of comments re car looking better in person.

I have confirmed with my dealer that my car is now complete--its through chkpoint 8 and has a vin number .
    I understand it should take about a month to reach me here on the West Coast. Its hard waiting, but in the meantime there should be some more good reading froms folks like RC and others who take delivery.

BH
    997TT Black/Natural Brown
    6SPD
    PCCB
    LSD
    Sport Chrono
    Sport Shifter
    Sport Seats
    Heated Seats
    Leather Console
    Leather Switch Panel
    Leather Door Finishers
    Leather Thicker Sport Wheel
    Telephone Module
    CD Changer
    Rear Wiper

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/24/17 2:38 AM
    JoeRockhead
    254903 1613
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/23/17 5:27 PM
    Grant
    228223 3480
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/22/17 8:31 PM
    LP997
    76457 1148
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/22/17 9:35 AM
    Gnil
    55998 565
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/22/17 10:22 PM
    SciFrog
    32762 316
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/23/17 7:04 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    22219 318
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/24/17 12:48 PM
    acky
    12457 225
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9221 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5019 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    538539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    446282 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440603 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249797 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/24/17 12:21 AM
    AP911
    242477 2512
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

229056 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206836 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173225 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159201 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

158804 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134214 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/17 12:01 AM
    noone1
    132408 2722
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122133 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

106373 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106237 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105111 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102193 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82949 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79850 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76982 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM