Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What could cause a tyre to be hotter than the others on a straight highway?

Yesterday I aligned all the tyre pressures exactly the same (to 0.1 PSI) when the car was cold (first thing in the morning).  After about an hour on a pretty straight motorway I noticed that the front drivers trye was 10degC hotter than the other 3 tyres (the computer can display pressures and temps as you travel along).

Today I had my alignment checked and there was nothing out of the ordinary, all within specs.  So I rang my local Audi dealer and spoke to a technician.  All he could think of was maybe the calliper was sticking slightly or something was rattling about in the tyre (although then I would feel steering vibrations - which I don't).  Shocks were also mentioned but if I am driving along a straight flat motorway then I can't see that being the reason either.

Just driving about town and the tyre gets 5degC hotter than the others  So I have booked the car in for an investigation on Friday.  I was wondering if anyone here had any other ideas what it could be though?

--

Click for bigger picture!

Re: What could cause a tyre to be hotter than the others on a straight highway?

I can think of

a) Alignment (did you also check toe setting?)
    b) The rubber is not used similar to the other tires (e.g. a flat spot from braking)
    c) Something sticks in the tire (stone or something)
    d) Suspension adjustment, (spring/damper/ride height)

You could swap tires to see if it's the tire.

Thanks!

Yeh, if they cant find anythng on Friday then I think a tyre swap would be the best option.

--

Click for bigger picture!

I think this normal in that the road friction is not the same at all times.

For example my TPM starts with the required pressures when cold but afterwards they often vary in their increase. Often all 4 tyres rise by say, 0.2 bar each, but in most cases there are variations. My car doesn't read temps but pressure is a function of temperature anyway.

I think that the curves, the camber and the road surface all contribute to some variation. That's my theory at least.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

My car doesn't read temps but pressure is a function of temperature anyway.

I don´t want to spread any wrong information, but I do believe that Porsche´s TPM reads both pressure and temperature and adjust the nominal and target pressure values according to the later.

Back to Alex´ question, I suppose you haven´t read the tire temperatures on the outside? I´d be curious to see whether the tire itself is heated up, if it´d be exposed to a misalignment it should show higher temperatures at either the inner or outer side wall.

Other than tire related temperature increase, I could only think of a mildly grinding front brake (readable with an infrared thermometer as well), a clogged brake airduct or thermal exposure coming from the engine.

You forgot the most likely explaination, bad sensor...

Ferdie:
    reginos:

I don´t want to spread any wrong information, but I do believe that Porsche´s TPM reads both pressure and temperature and adjust the nominal and target pressure values according to the later.

Not exactly. It sets the target pressure according to the ambient temp. (on an assumption which I don't remember now) and compares with actual pressure. Tyre temp. is not measured by TPM.

--

SciFrog:

You forgot the most likely explaination, bad sensor...

Yes! Smiley

reginos:
    Ferdie:
    reginos:

Not exactly. It sets the target pressure according to the ambient temp. (on an assumption which I don't remember now) and compares with actual pressure. Tyre temp. is not measured by TPM.

My understanding is that the TPMS sensor units do measure actual in-tire air temperature along with actual air pressure, and uses this temperature to "correct" the actual pressure to the equivalent pressure you would see if the air in the tire were to be at 20°C. The resulting "corrected" pressures are those you can call up from the background only when the car is stationary.

However, Porsche's TPMS does not allow you to display these air temperatures.

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:
    Ferdie:
    reginos:

My understanding is that the TPMS sensor units do measure actual in-tire air temperature along with actual air pressure, and uses this temperature to "correct" the actual pressure to the equivalent pressure you would see if the air in the tire were to be at 20°C. The resulting "corrected" pressures are those you can call up from the background only when the car is stationary.

I am not sure.

The handbook when explaining the screen with the deviations,  says" in accordance with physical principles, the air pressure changes as the temperature changes. For every 10 C change in air temp ,the tyre pressure increases or decreases by around 0.1 bar"

Not clear if it takes the temp of the air inside the tyre into account of the ambient temp.Smiley

--

reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:
    Ferdie:
    reginos:

I am not sure.

The handbook when explaining the screen with the deviations,  says" in accordance with physical principles, the air pressure changes as the temperature changes. For every 10 C change in air temp ,the tyre pressure increases or decreases by around 0.1 bar"

Not clear if it takes the temp of the air inside the tyre into account of the ambient temp.Smiley

If you think about it, it has to be the air temp inside the tire as it has a material influence on the air pressure inside the tire. Ambient air temperature does not have a real influence.

--

fritz

fritz:

If you think about it, it has to be the air temp inside the tire as it has a material influence on the air pressure inside the tire. Ambient air temperature does not have a real influence.

There is no such thing as a sensor for pressure alone, they always measure temperature too. They need it to calculate their output in bar, although some sensors have a mode that only communicates pressure to the outside world (i.e. pulse width).

So chances are very high, the temperature display comes from the very same sensor. In that case I'm pretty sure that the temperature is not very accurate.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 10/13/18 7:49 PM
    lukestern
    388317 5041
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 10/14/18 11:37 PM
    watt
    316336 1950
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 10/15/18 8:47 AM
    RCA
    222408 2542
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines

208082 1067
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 10/4/18 3:41 PM
    WhoopsyM
    178455 2635
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 10/13/18 1:16 PM
    RCA
    108341 2227
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    29739 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13141 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    12508 31
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    610764 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    511643 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    481892 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    273082 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/4/18 10:04 PM
    lexs4
    255333 2550
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    190337 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 10/10/18 9:19 PM
    koko
    183136 1625
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/15/18 10:07 AM
    WhoopsyM
    174832 3187
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    141863 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 10/7/18 8:43 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    135530 2187
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    126610 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    110985 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    105947 871
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM