Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    I had the plenum installed last week. I just noticed on page 63 of the May issue of Excellence magazine RSS has an ad that claims "dyno proven bolt on power" will increase horsepower by 35 HP!

    I already have the Cargraphic exhaust that was supposed to give me a 20 HP boost, so now I should have 535 HP right? WRONG!

    Something doesn't add up here. The plenum by itself would be hard pressed to add 1 HP. I suppose, if I were to reflash the ECU, I might see those kind of numbers on a dyno, but I would question the value of such modifications for a street application.

    Buyer beware!

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I had the plenum installed last week. I just noticed on page 63 of the May issue of Excellence magazine RSS has an ad that claims "dyno proven bolt on power" will increase horsepower by 35 HP!

    I already have the Cargraphic exhaust that was supposed to give me a 20 HP boost, so now I should have 535 HP right? WRONG!

    Something doesn't add up here. The plenum by itself would be hard pressed to add 1 HP. I suppose, if I were to reflash the ECU, I might see those kind of numbers on a dyno, but I would question the value of such modifications for a street application.

    Buyer beware!



    RS Tuning uses this plenum in its 624, 645 and 680 PS kits. Just an illustration. The 624 PS kit has 26 PS more than the 598 kit, using the same components, but in addition: SECAN intercoolers (very expensive) and IPD plenum. So sadly, no cigar.

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I had the plenum installed last week. I just noticed on page 63 of the May issue of Excellence magazine RSS has an ad that claims "dyno proven bolt on power" will increase horsepower by 35 HP!

    I already have the Cargraphic exhaust that was supposed to give me a 20 HP boost, so now I should have 535 HP right? WRONG!

    Something doesn't add up here. The plenum by itself would be hard pressed to add 1 HP. I suppose, if I were to reflash the ECU, I might see those kind of numbers on a dyno, but I would question the value of such modifications for a street application.

    Buyer beware!



    It doesnt work like that. ie) 20 exhaust + 35 plenum DOES NOT = 55 extra HP.

    I've seen dyno's that show anywhere from an peak 11hp/35hp gain at 4k rpm w/ peak 46ft/lbs gain on a stock Turbo to peak 43hp gain on modded Turbos. And have confirmation of at least 23hp on other stock Turbo's. What's the reason for you not thinking the plenum would give 1 hp?

    W/ just the exhaust the Plenum makes easy 20hp at the wheels. Plus it does even more to bring power earlier. IMO best bang for the buck mod. you can make.

    Stock Turbo Dyno:

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Modded Turbo

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    If I understand your point, I should see an 11 to 35 HP gain on a stock turbo with just the addition of the plenum. And you've confirmed 23 HP on other stock turbos. Well I think I could feel that in the seat of my pants, but I don't, hence the question, "where's the horsepower".

    The data you present shows significant gains for two bone stock turbos with the addition of just the plenum. Since my car has an after market exhaust does that diminish the gain to be expected with the addition of the plenum? If so, it would seem the plenum is the more cost effective mod.

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Larry, have you even driven your car 50+ miles yet? As Greg and others have pointed out, it takes time for the DME to adjust its parameters to the increased airflow brought on by the plenum. Greg even went as far as recommending that the car be driven "hard" to see more gains. I've driven mine hard since I first got it and I have noticed an increase. Of course the only way to tell for sure is to do a before/after dyno (after the DME has had a chance to adjust of course).

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Guys consider that regarding the power atribution between the 598 and 625hp kit from RS, the ICs should make most of the difference! In my car ICs and exhaust made 50+hp from previous setup. Consider that the new exhaust maybe added 10-15hp tops since I was moving from a stock exhaust with 200cell racing cats which was already better than stock by quite a bit.
    Had a chance to install the exhaust first, drive the car for a week and then the ICs and I have to admit that there was noticeable difference after swapping exhaust BUT even more after swapping the ICs! So I really don't think that its the plenum but probably those Secan ICs (especially if that stage has modded VTGs like mine).
    I think I ll get the plenum but what I really expect is some better response in low rpms, not that much more power..

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Quote:
    GT said:
    Guys consider that regarding the power atribution between the 598 and 625hp kit from RS, the ICs should make most of the difference! In my car ICs and exhaust made 50+hp from previous setup. Consider that the new exhaust maybe added 10-15hp tops since I was moving from a stock exhaust with 200cell racing cats which was already better than stock by quite a bit.
    Had a chance to install the exhaust first, drive the car for a week and then the ICs and I have to admit that there was noticeable difference after swapping exhaust BUT even more after swapping the ICs! So I really don't think that its the plenum but probably those Secan ICs (especially if that stage has modded VTGs like mine).
    I think I ll get the plenum but what I really expect is some better response in low rpms, not that much more power..



    Yup, that's what I said.

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    GT what ICs did you add to your car? the secan?

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    If I understand your point, I should see an 11 to 35 HP gain on a stock turbo with just the addition of the plenum. And you've confirmed 23 HP on other stock turbos. Well I think I could feel that in the seat of my pants, but I don't, hence the question, "where's the horsepower".

    The data you present shows significant gains for two bone stock turbos with the addition of just the plenum. Since my car has an after market exhaust does that diminish the gain to be expected with the addition of the plenum? If so, it would seem the plenum is the more cost effective mod.




    "Since my car has an after market exhaust does that diminish the gain to be expected with the addition of the plenum?" - Yes. Just like if you were to add IC's and a Plenum the individual increase in HP/tq would be diminshed because of diminishing returns. In other words if the Plenum would normally add 20hp by itself and an exhaust would add 20hp by itself the 2 combined will not equal 40hp.

    Also lets say the plenum would only add 11-23 peak HP I doubt that you would be able to feel that when the car is generating peak hp. But you SHOULD be able to feel the 35 extra hp from the plenum that the car should be generating at around 4k rpms when it's not at peak HP. Not only that but at that same area the plenum is shown above to be generating 48 additional ft/lbs of peak torque. Weird that no one is commenting on this, that's a huge increase especially because it's peak torque & right in the area where the plenum is also bringing 35 extra hp sooner. I honestly feel that my car hits much harder here/at this rpms than the Turbo Coupes I've driven, it's almost violent acceleration. But since my car is new I've been shifting at 4500 so I cant comment fully yet. Jason is right & that's what I've been told as well, you should do some aggressive driving now for 50+ miles & let the DME adjust to the increase air-flow then see if you notice a difference.

    Re: IPD Plenum, where's the horsepower

    I used the EVOMs intercoolers. I highly recommend them on modded cars especially if you have modded vtgs. They also improve response quite a bit since they have better airflow but also since they allow the ecu to adopt more aggressive timing and AFRs (due to better intake temp).
    I think heat is one of the biggest bottlenecks in the 997tt (much more than in the 996tt).

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 8/12/18 8:22 PM
    GnilM
    344461 4918
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 8/8/18 1:20 AM
    watt
    303917 1893
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines
     
     
     
     
     
    200145 1067
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 8/14/18 12:16 PM
    the-missile
    147441 2345
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 8/14/18 9:51 PM
    Grant
    147226 1774
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 8/14/18 1:27 PM
    the-missile
    79279 1965
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 8/14/18 2:17 PM
    RCA
    19982 261
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    8274 31
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 8/14/18 7:44 AM
    the-missile
    7130 82
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    587736 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    493118 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    472055 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 6/16/18 10:15 PM
    DJM48
    264623 2584
    Porsche Cayman GT4 8/9/18 9:46 AM
    Spyderidol
    242553 2493
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    184054 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 8/14/18 9:22 PM
    Ferdie
    173592 1582
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 7/31/18 4:23 PM
    lexs4
    162707 3102
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/14/18 2:27 PM
    bluelines
    134678 727
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 7/31/18 2:48 PM
    bobr
    126206 2156
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    120542 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    105637 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    101151 871
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    94190 732
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 8/11/18 2:22 PM
    DJM48
    66067 904
    McLaren F1 8/23/17 11:10 AM
    Carlos from SpainM
    65892 202
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/29/18 8:40 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    59872 660
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    52313 423
    Lambo Huracán Performante in "6.52 something" at the Ring? 11/7/17 12:30 AM
    kingjr9000
    45437 852
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/29/17 12:27 PM
    DJM48
    40571 471
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    38808 1122
    317 items found, displaying 1 to 30.