Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

    There was some sticky residue on the interior of my back window.

    I got a razor blade (in a holder) and started to scrape it off as much as possible to be followed by some solvent to get the rest.

    Guess what happens? This _should_ be in the manual somewhere as a warning:

    Razor blade will scrape off the heating element! .

    Nice huh?! I think I ruined two of the little rust-colored elements that run from port to starboard. The rest of them should still work though.

    Don't make teh same mistake: NEVER use a scraper back there!

    DAMMIT: the inconsistency (thinned and irregular line) is now VISIBLE when you look at it from outside the car!



    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Generally, you seem like quite a knowledgeable and savvy individual, but what an earth ere you thinking.

    I could kick myself for not having posted on another thread to use a mild solvent. I apologise.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    That's really unfortunate. Test the rear defogger to make sure the other lines still work. When I went about removing some old window tint from my 86 Carrera, I did some research on the procedure and everywhere I looked warned against using a razor blade anywhere near defroster lines. My recollection is that if you break one line, the entire system is broken and requires a complete window replacement ($$$). I hope I'm wrong!

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

    Sorry to hear that MMD.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Hi MMD,

    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.

    The grid wires across the rear window are usually in a parallel circuit, so just the grid 'wires' that you damaged will not work. I call them wires, but they are just silk-screened on resistive paint.

    The bad grid 'wires' are repairable!!! They sell kits just for this purpose that consist of conductive / resistive paint. Your automotive store (Autozone, etc.) usually carry this inexpensive kit.

    It's easy to repair, but usually awkward to get to.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    1st997 is exactly right. I made this mistake trying to tint the rear windows of my first car (85 Pontiac Grand Prix).

    They have repairable stuff that's like a nail polish. It may actually be a tape now thanks to materials advancements.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Thanks guys for the sympathies and recommendations.

    I never knew this stuff was so fragile. I never had occasion to try to deal with it so aggressively before. WOW!

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    I guessed what you had done just by reading the title. Maybe there is something that can bridge the material so that at least the defrosters still work. Ask the dealer or Google it as I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    There was some sticky residue on the interior of my back window.

    I got a razor blade (in a holder) and started to scrape it off as much as possible to be followed by some solvent to get the rest.

    Guess what happens? This _should_ be in the manual somewhere as a warning:

    Razor blade will scrape off the heating element! .

    Nice huh?! I think I ruined two of the little rust-colored elements that run from port to starboard. The rest of them should still work though.

    Don't make teh same mistake: NEVER use a scraper back there!

    DAMMIT: the inconsistency (thinned and irregular line) is now VISIBLE when you look at it from outside the car!






    They sell a kit at auto parts stores to fix the heating elements on the rear window. A long time ago, I had the window tint on my ex-Ferrari 328 removed and the A-Hole that removed it used a razor blade also. Of course, that completely ruined the functionality of the heating element on the rear window but I was fortunate to get the repair kit and got it fixed.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.


    Try lighter fluid. It removes most sticker residue but doesn't hurt things.

    Phil

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.

    I have used Kent Speedy 500 Adhesive and Cement Remover for the past 25 years. One can of the stuff will last for years. On not so stubborn glues or plastics (Kent Speedy 500 can damage some plastics) I just use WD40.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    If I have to remove sticker residue from glass, I use my wife's nail polish remover... it's acetone which does the job v easily I would just be a little bit extra careful about the acetone touching the heater element - just to be safe!

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.



    Mineral spirits (not the same as "paint thinner").

    Art museums use it in their conservation departments.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    @ PS CA, jerrygee, easy_rider911, MMD, Thanks guys!

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Be careful with using acetone on plastics. It can dissolve some plastics or cause a whitish haze ... our office staff has ruined the plastic on some spectacle frames.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Here's my amateur opinion on least to most aggressive solvents:


    "Fool proof" for _automotive_ paint and plastics if they work

    liquid parafin
    mineral spirits
    kerosene
    WD-40


    somewhat aggressive can damage paint and plastic:

    alcohol
    "Goop Off" (with a "p")


    very aggressive (never use on paint or plastic):
    toulene
    acetone
    MEK
    "Goof Off" with an "f"
    laquer thinner


    Oh..., and use whichever solvent "quickly" don't leave it in contact longer than necessary.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Of course! Never ever use acetone on plastic - it will spoil it instantly. I said you can use it on glass!

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

    Never use on Razor blade ANYWHERE on glass.

    To remove inspection/ regi. stickers from windshields I use "un do adhesive remover". It comes w/ a plastic scraper that clips onto the top of the bottle that wont scratch.


    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Never use on Razor blade ANYWHERE on glass.




    Why do you say that? In the real world doesn't "everybody" use a razor blade on a stick to get reg/inspect. stickers off?

    I believe Porsche used to have a film on inside of windshield that could be damaged, but not anymore.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Gregg's right...some folks may use razor but I would advise against it. Too many potentials for things to go wrong with something sharp. I'd rather use adhesive removers like the one Gregg posted a picture of. I've used 3M adhesive removers on many things without incident.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg's right...some folks may use razor but I would advise against it. Too many potentials for things to go wrong with something sharp. I'd rather use adhesive removers like the one Gregg posted a picture of. I've used 3M adhesive removers on many things without incident.



    Oh, I see..., good point.

    Will look for some specialized products like you guys recommend.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Never use on Razor blade ANYWHERE on glass.




    Why do you say that? In the real world doesn't "everybody" use a razor blade on a stick to get reg/inspect. stickers off?

    I believe Porsche used to have a film on inside of windshield that could be damaged, but not anymore.




    Never forget it.. Told the Ferrari dealer not to touch my car (my CS not my F430) when it arrived, not to wash it or anything. Sure enough one of the guys at the dealer used a razor blade to take off a sticker from the factory on the outside of the windshield and left a scratch there. If a piece of dirt gets on the razor or if the razor blade isnt 100% perfect (if it has a rough/chipped edge) you risk scratching the glass, that's why.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Did the dealership take care of that scratch for you? New glass or did they polish it out?

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Did the dealership take care of that scratch for you? New glass or did they polish it out?




    Nah, I was so excited about getting the car & I thought I'm probably better off keeping the factory installed glass & just waiting to see if I get any chips or cracks later on and then replacing it but I never did and after a while it didn't really bother me. Wasn't noticebale except from inside when the sun hit it just right. ...That was probably the only scratch on that car.

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

    Razor blades are safe enough on glass...with proper care and common sense... Never use without spraying an emollient (windex works great) on first..

    For getting off sticky decal stuff, just use Goo-Gone, or any citrus-based product... Office Depot, Walmart, they sell it everywhere...

    Toluene is safe on enamel paint (at least I've never ruined anything with it...)

    Lastly, I'd give you a hard time on how obvious it should have been, in theory alone, that you'd trash your defroster elements... But you've already suffered enough punishment...

    Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    There was some sticky residue on the interior of my back window.

    I got a razor blade (in a holder) and started to scrape it off as much as possible to be followed by some solvent to get the rest.

    Guess what happens? This _should_ be in the manual somewhere as a warning:

    Razor blade will scrape off the heating element! .

    Nice huh?! I think I ruined two of the little rust-colored elements that run from port to starboard. The rest of them should still work though.

    Don't make teh same mistake: NEVER use a scraper back there!

    DAMMIT: the inconsistency (thinned and irregular line) is now VISIBLE when you look at it from outside the car!






    Check www.popularmechanics.com/carcare and see under heading "How to Repair Your Defroster Grids".

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/24/17 2:38 AM
    JoeRockhead
    254903 1613
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/23/17 5:27 PM
    Grant
    228223 3480
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/22/17 8:31 PM
    LP997
    76457 1148
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/22/17 9:35 AM
    Gnil
    55998 565
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/22/17 10:22 PM
    SciFrog
    32762 316
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/23/17 7:04 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    22219 318
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/24/17 12:48 PM
    acky
    12457 225
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9221 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5019 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    538539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    446282 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440603 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249797 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/24/17 12:21 AM
    AP911
    242477 2512
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    229056 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206836 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173225 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159201 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    158804 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134214 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/17 12:01 AM
    noone1
    132408 2722
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122133 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo
     
     
     
     
     
    106373 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106237 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105111 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102193 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82949 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79850 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76982 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    64720 247
    382 items found, displaying 1 to 30.