Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Launch Editon Purchase - What Would You Do?

Guys -

Would appreciate you weighing in here. I've been offered an untitled Launch Edition C2S by a dealer. The car has 900 miles, most of which have been on test drives (and I'm sure some joyrides). Nonetheless, the dealer is willing to sell it to me for $8.5K off of sticker.

This seems like about as good a deal as I'd be able to get right now. Here's the way I see it:

Pro's:
    - Untitled Car
    - Launch Edition options
    - RELATIVELY high resale value
    - Dealer sale - so car will be prepped prior to delivery

Con's:
    - 900 miles - most of which have probably been aggressive
    - Significant depreciation expected - anticipating car will be at $80K in a year

I like the C2S' a lot. I've been keeping my eye on the market, and believe that from a $ perspective, don't believe there are better deals to be had. I'm obviously a little concerned about the use of the vehicle, but intend to get a full inspection done prior to delivery - as well as get dealer assurances in writing that the car is in "like new" condition.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Launch Editon Purchase - What Would You Do?

An engine that has not been broken in properly could have problems later on, right?

believe that from a $ perspective, don't believe there are better deals to be had

believe that from 900 miles of test drives , don't believe there is a worst deal to be had

No way Rasta .............. there is nothing like a new 911 that is built for you and has not been driven by anyone . I see you have posted this on three different boards , and I am amazed that there are so many people that would take a USED ( and used in the worst way ) 997 to save a little money .

Picked up my new 997S yesterday with 14miles on it! Nice to know no one messed with it! Try and locate another one near to the spec you want. That's what I did and I only waited 3 weeks, which was bad as it was besides waiting months.

Can I get a sense of what kind of discount to MSRP you got, EnglishManInNY?

It was in the ~3% range. I didn't push too hard since they proved to be the most friendly dealership I encountered, which I do valve to get my business.

Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    It was in the ~3% range. I didn't push too hard since they proved to be the most friendly dealership I encountered, which I do valve to get my business.

Gotcha - thanks. Hmmm, I'm effectively getting 8.5% off for a somewhat used (and abused?) car. Decisions, decisions.

Don't do it. Be patient and get the car you want. I have taken real care of mine for the first 1000 miles, and it was well worth the 4 month wait.

Do not buy it... I received mine 1 month ago with 20 miles. It was worthy to wait for 3 months. It is amazing steal gray on black

Maybe grind them down to an even $10 g's. And, or get them to pay for an extended warranty. How bad could it be????

I wouldn't buy it. My second test drive was in a cold car that the salesman and I drove with no concerns about revs or milage. 8k discount will never cover the thought that the car is not fresh and new and run in as you would prefer. Remember you are still spending some big money on a special car and are paying almost new money. In the US it seems that discounts are available on new cars and your wait is nothing like the UK. No contest IMO

Thank you all for weighing in - your perspectives are definitely helpful. I should have been clearer on one point: to me, the decision is NOT to buy the aforementioned car vs. a new one. It is buying the aforementioned car NOW versus waiting for a few more months and then buying an slightly used car at a larger discount, with a few more miles. I still haven't gotten to the point - emotionally or financially - where I can afford to jump into a new car, only to see it slide 15 - 20% in value in the first year.

The fact that I am considering this car even though it is relatively new (and is still experiencing a steep depreciation hit) is only because of this is one of the more attractive discounts I've seen being offered, and in one sense it is "as good as it is going to get" for right now. So it's either buy a 900 mile untitled car now for $91K-ish, or wait another six months and, once more coupes and the cabs start rolling in, pick up one with say 3K - 5K miles, for 15 - 20% of list.

Keep in mind, with the latter option, assuming it's a one owner car, you're better off taking a chance that the break-in was followed, but you still take your chances.

i wouldnt do that unless they gave you more money, like 10-13k

Rasta,

The car's MSRP is right around $100k, correct? Un less you really want teh PCCB brakes ($8k), you could get an otherwise identically optioned car, leas a 3-5% discount (the discounts are out there (I got 4.5% off) you just have to poke around), for $87-89k, or around $12k less than MSRP on the car you are considering. I think that is the way to go, as opposed to any used car scenario.

would be foolish to buy that car

Rasta: IMO be cool!
    Do NOT focus on the 8000$ you "save".
    Focus on the 92,000$ you PAY for a car that has with 99% certainty been raped and driven like there was no tomorrrow by potential buyers, sales personnel and God knows what.

Buying a second hand car from a Porsche enthusiast is usually VERY different from buying a demo car from a shop.
    Theres a good chance that buying a second hand model will get you a car that has been well taken care of.

I once bought myself a car in very much the same circumstances are you are contemplating now...and trust me..not one day went by without me being paranoid about sounds, handling, styling etc because the car had been damaged.

At 92,000$ you DESERVE a perfect car. And a demoed one is NOT what you deserve IMO.

Take care

The real fair price would be 10k off invoice not 10k off list .... that is still only saving 20 % to basically loose the real deal kind of experience that is for most of us priceless. And if you really can not afford a new one , buy it from someone who was a really a Porsche lover who took good care of it and broke it in right like so many here.

Rasta, I really don't think they could have damaged the motor, however, I would have the clutch checked out. That's the one weak link here. I would try and wittle them down another couple of thousand( this should be done over the phone BTW), when they balk, tell 'em ok and to call if they change their minds then hang up. Do not call them back and do not respond to the first message they leave you. You'll get your car at your price!
    You have to play hardball with these guys.
    Eman in ny, I'm in Glen Head, got mine at Silver Star, see ya around at the pca events, DE's.
    Chris

Too big a risk for that discount - don't do it!

Quote:
    Rasta said:
    Guys -

Would appreciate you weighing in here. I've been offered an untitled Launch Edition C2S by a dealer. The car has 900 miles, most of which have been on test drives (and I'm sure some joyrides). Nonetheless, the dealer is willing to sell it to me for $8.5K off of sticker.

This seems like about as good a deal as I'd be able to get right now. Here's the way I see it:

Pro's:
    - Untitled Car
    - Launch Edition options
    - RELATIVELY high resale value
    - Dealer sale - so car will be prepped prior to delivery

Con's:
    - 900 miles - most of which have probably been aggressive
    - Significant depreciation expected - anticipating car will be at $80K in a year

I like the C2S' a lot. I've been keeping my eye on the market, and believe that from a $ perspective, don't believe there are better deals to be had. I'm obviously a little concerned about the use of the vehicle, but intend to get a full inspection done prior to delivery - as well as get dealer assurances in writing that the car is in "like new" condition.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Try to talk them into getting an extended warranty (100,000 mil) thrown in for free since it was demo car.

If you're already willing to pony up $91k for this launch car, why not just wait and order a $91-$95k new 997S that will be nicely optioned...especially if you can emotionally give up on the PCCBs.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Try to talk them into getting an extended warranty (100,000 mil) thrown in for free since it was demo car.

Excellent idea, and something that I had not thought of - thanks Ron!

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    If you're already willing to pony up $91k for this launch car, why not just wait and order a $91-$95k new 997S that will be nicely optioned...especially if you can emotionally give up on the PCCBs.

alin2, to me it's not just about the absolute $ amounts. I'm keen on this car because on a relative value basis, I'm getting an untitled, 900-mile car, for about 9% off of sticker. To me that's like getting a $91K sticker car for about $83K. for Also, with regard to resale - although all P-Cars will suffer given the production numbers these days - I think on a relative basis, these cars will hold up well.

I don't know - maybe I'm overthinking this. You tell me.

Interesting update guys. Since I coordinated with the dealer on Sunday, he noted that the mileage was "approximately" 900 miles. Now that he is back in the office, he has confirmed that the mileage is 1,450 miles. An interesting stat, just playin' with the numbers:

- Total mileage: 1,450 miles
    - Car in dealership: approximately 4.75 months
    - Therefore, miles per month: 305
    - Length of test drive: approximately 15 miles (as indicated by dealer)
    - Therefore, test drives per month: 20
    - Test drives to date (TDPM x 4.75 mths): 97!! :eek: :eek:

I know I'm not counting dealer miles, longer drives, etc., but WOW!, that's A LOT of test drives for potential abuse to take place!

Shoot! Now I'm moving from "I like what I'm seeing," to "maybe this isn't such a great deal afterall!"

Somebody else pointed out that the clutch would be the cause of concern in this situation. Excluding that fact, you are in the posistion to get the car that is optioned in a way that you like, and at a price that you feel may be pretty good. Instead of taking a $20K hit for the car you may end up losing about half that, by your own estimation. A pretty good deal if you can live with the miles.

Ah, I see...you are mostly concerned re: amount of depreciation, which will be huge with these cars in the first 4 years. Well, if that's the primary motivating factor, then it's not unreasonable (but 1450 is a cr*p load of miles...also, as an aside...if they "exaggerated (lied)" about the miles, what else could they be hiding?) to take this car and minimize the depreciation. It's still under warranty anyways. Another thing...just my 2 cents...just be sure to take the car to a high pressure autowash and soak the front hood. There have been some lemon launch cars (easily found on rennlist and here) that have had "system faults return to workshop" messages occur after getting the car wet...it's thought related to a defective front hood latch. Seems to be more prevalent on launch cars...although it's not clear that PAG has fixed the problem or supplier as yet.

Good Luck! Post pics if you get the car

P.S. Also, think about searching midwest and east coast dealers. My Chicagoland dealership (Napleton...good guys...talk to Maciej) has 2 997S in stock, but not in your color...

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Ah, I see...you are mostly concerned re: amount of depreciation, which will be huge with these cars in the first 4 years. Well, if that's the primary motivating factor, then it's not unreasonable (but 1450 is a cr*p load of miles...also, as an aside...if they "exaggerated (lied)" about the miles, what else could they be hiding?) to take this car and minimize the depreciation. It's still under warranty anyways. Another thing...just my 2 cents...just be sure to take the car to a high pressure autowash and soak the front hood. There have been some lemon launch cars (easily found on rennlist and here) that have had "system faults return to workshop" messages occur after getting the car wet...it's thought related to a defective front hood latch. Seems to be more prevalent on launch cars...although it's not clear that PAG has fixed the problem or supplier as yet.

Good Luck! Post pics if you get the car

P.S. Also, think about searching midwest and east coast dealers. My Chicagoland dealership (Napleton...good guys...talk to Maciej) has 2 997S in stock, but not in your color...

Thanks alin2. To be fair, I don't think the dealer lied on the miles - I just think he was out of touch since I had spoken to him on Sunday. He called me first thing today to clarify the mileage. I will definitely keep an eye out for the System Fault issue. I have been following Skip's saga, and that of others. Scary stuff, no doubt.

I know Napleton Porsche well - I used to live in Chicago, and bought my 996 C2 from them. Good guys, although the dealer I used to work with has moved on. I checked their inventory, and like you said, not my colors.

Launch Editon Purchase - What Would You Do?

There are only two numbers that I can recall with my Porsche 997S, 367 and 4159. The number of miles that the Porsche had on it when I picked it up, and the number of miles that it had when the engine blew. Anything over 20 miles should be considered USED.

jb

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    There are only two numbers that I can recall with my Porsche 997S, 367 and 4159. The number of miles that the Porsche had on it when I picked it up, and the number of miles that it had when the engine blew. Anything over 20 miles should be considered USED.

jb

Some P-cars come from the factory with up for 40-something miles. Twenty may be a little low IMHO. I would think that a used car would have several hundred or a 1000 miles, but I'm not expert on used car sales, I must say.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 2/14/19 1:26 AM
    watt
    331119 2045
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 2/21/19 8:38 PM
    Pilot

218702 1126
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 2/21/19 6:45 PM
    Porsche-Jeck
    146331 2580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/21/19 10:50 PM
    bvineyards
    62811 824
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 2/18/19 9:28 AM
    RCA
    16328 149
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14695 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 2/18/19 11:28 AM
    RCA
    10268 127
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/18/19 8:51 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    3293 60
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    486954 4255
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 2/19/19 11:40 PM
    4trac
    422703 5222
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    318187 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    286738 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 2/19/19 8:00 PM
    dreamcar
    280964 2760
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/30/19 3:10 AM
    ha
    219696 2777
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    195652 1789
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/18/19 10:28 AM
    RCA
    191720 3355
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    157876 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144633 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    113034 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107946 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 2/18/19 1:00 PM
    RCA
    99205 1370
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68859 673
    Others Tesla Roadster 2/21/19 11:27 PM
    SciFrog
    57810 1742
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    48445 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43591 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    43153 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40878 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 12/4/18 3:17 PM
    BiTurbo
    40641 650
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 2/14/19 1:44 PM
    RCA
    40308 387
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/13/18 2:27 PM
    RCA
    39240 804
    270 items found, displaying 1 to 30.